Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Also, was this a business trip? If so, your company cover your expenses as you lost your luggage in the course of a company paid business trip.
No company I've worked for would buy me clothes because the airline temporarily lost my luggage, not even fresh boxers and socks. The rationale is, eventually you'll buy clothes for yourself. You just bought them sooner than expected. The same goes for shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by BamaVol
No company I've worked for would buy me clothes because the airline temporarily lost my luggage, not even fresh boxers and socks.
Ditto.

Also, on the main post, my per diem 10 years ago when TWA/Swiss Air lost my luggage on the way to Munich was more than $50 . . . there is a standard per diem policy you should look at, flygirl.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Well, I don't have time to read all 100 pages of the DL contract of carriage (http://www.delta.com/pdfs/contract_of_carriage_intl.pdf for international), but it seems to indicate that liability for checked baggage shall not exceed $20/kg. I would think that only applies to lost baggage, but it doesn't say specifically that I can see. You might want to go back to the person who quoted you the $50 figure and ask him to cite the particular portion of the contract of carriage that shows that limit.

I recently had a bag delayed by BA, and due to circumstances which I won't detail now, they couldn't deliver the bag -- I had to fly to another city to get it. They reimbursed me $175 for the tickets.

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Aug 19, 2004 at 2:41 pm Reason: edited for clarity
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:02 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Well, I don't have time to read all 100 pages of the DL contract of carriage (http://www.delta.com/pdfs/contract_of_carriage_intl.pdf for international), but it seems to indicate that liability for checked baggage shall not exceed $20/kg. I would think that only applies to lost baggage, but it doesn't say specifically that I can see. You might want to go back to the person who quoted you the $50 figure and ask him to cite the particular portion of the contract of carriage that shows that limit.

A per diem to get you by until they find your bag is a completely separate deal from the contracted price of whatever they'll pay you for your bag if it ends up completely lost (which on international flights is set by treaty or some such).
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:06 pm

The last time DL lost my bags they gave me 5000 miles. Actually, they failed to put them on the plane. I think we were overweight and my bags had the yellow priorty labels so they would have been last on.

The compensation came without asking.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:29 pm

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
I avoid this problem by NEVER checking my bags. I've gotten luggage selection and packing down to an art form that will carry me for up to 10 days of Int'l travel. However, some laundry of dress shirts and pressing of suites while gone is included in this statement.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
I can live a long time with a carry on if you learn how to pack it right. I have lived out of one for 2 weeks several times
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Diver90
I avoid this problem by NEVER checking my bags. I've gotten luggage selection and packing down to an art form that will carry me for up to 10 days of Int'l travel. However, some laundry of dress shirts and pressing of suites while gone is included in this statement.
Yeah, but you are a *guy*. ;-)

Oh - go on - laugh.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
A per diem to get you by until they find your bag is a completely separate deal from the contracted price of whatever they'll pay you for your bag if it ends up completely lost (which on international flights is set by treaty or some such).
That's quite true. My point was that in my cursory examination of the contract of carriage I didn't see anything about the per diem allowance on a delayed bag. I'm sure it's there somewhere... I just don't have the time to look for it. And yes, the international limit is set by treaty.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Diver90
I avoid this problem by NEVER checking my bags.
I'd like to see you try to bring a suitcase, pair of skis and a pair of ski boots as your carry-on.

I too avoid checking bags whenever possible.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
No company I've worked for would buy me clothes because the airline temporarily lost my luggage, not even fresh boxers and socks. The rationale is, eventually you'll buy clothes for yourself. You just bought them sooner than expected. The same goes for shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries.
Let me try to understand, for s I may be ignorant to this...

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, the airline loses your luggage; the company will not help you out.

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, you break your arm in the course of your trip; the company allows you to take sick time to recover, and covers the medical expense via your insurance.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, the airline loses your luggage; the company will not help you out.

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, you break your arm in the course of your trip; the company allows you to take sick time to recover, and covers the medical expense via your insurance.
Often, its not a matter of the company you work for, but rather the clients you serve who lead toward this policy. The companies I have worked for have been very hesitant to allow me to expense anything which they cannot pass along to the clients where I work.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
The companies I have worked for have been very hesitant to allow me to expense anything which they cannot pass along to the clients where I work.
That is unfortunate. Heaven forbid a company actually take care of its people.

I am not saying people should try to expense a new Armani suit, but spending money on a pair slacks, a pair of shoes, and a shirt would not *kill* a company; especially at the rates they bill their people at.

I know we are paying over $150 / hour for a few SAP people. Do you think the SAP on-site consultant is receiving that much? Be lucky if received $50 - $70. The rest is for the consulting company.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:49 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Yep, that's right.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:55 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
That is unfortunate. Heaven forbid a company actually take care of its people.

I am not saying people should try to expense a new Armani suit, but spending money on a pair slacks, a pair of shoes, and a shirt would not *kill* a company; especially at the rates they bill their people at.

I know we are paying over $150 / hour for a few SAP people. Do you think the SAP on-site consultant is receiving that much? Be lucky if received $50 - $70. The rest is for the consulting company.
Actually, I did have my bags lost once by AF on the way to Lisbon. I joked with my boss that, if my bags didn't show up in another day or so (I had left some clothes in Lisbon), that I was heading to the Hugo Boss store on Avenida da Liberdade with the corporate visa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.