Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
10kster,

To follow-up on my situation, the bags did not get rerouted; just as I suspected/feared, they went on to the originally-tagged destination of Baltimore. I am now in NYC with no bags, no change of clothes in two days, and no real assistance of any kind from Delta. The people at JFK were incompetent.

The bags are still at BWI and no one can contact anyone there to expedite getting them sent to me. The toll free baggage info line is constantly busy. The baggage service doesn't answer its e-mail. The Baltimore baggage office (the number to which the JFK agent refused to give me, but a SMS phone representative did) goes to voice mail . . . . and the list goes on.

In my humble opinion, a pretty pitiful performance. I can live with weather delays, but I think the misinformation and unresponsiveness -- dare I say particularly such unresponsiveness to a PM (but God forbid I actually point that out to anyone) -- is really pathetic. Yes, I'm venting.
Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
...To follow-up on my situation ... I am now in NYC with no bags, no change of clothes in two days, and no real assistance of any kind from Delta...</font>
I know exactly what you mean with regard to the unreachable baggage service, as I was in that exact position precisely one week ago. However, the baggage agent at LGA who issued me a $100 cash authorization for clothing purchase suggested that such practice was standard. If you can get a SMS agent, or a baggage agent to note that authorization in your account, you can at least go get $100 worth of incidentals & a casual change of clothes. That's what I did, and on my return the baggage office issued me a $100 check. No letters & waiting required.
Old Jun 24, 2001, 4:26 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
As an elite member, the agents can autorize you a spending allowance of up to $50 per day with a $250 maxmimum. I guess this might nor apply for bad weather though...

Robert, I had the same problem with the baggage service line - they were virtually "unreachable".
I drove to the airport several times, and apart from all the out-of-pocket expenses, DL paid me for my trips to the airport to research the situation. They are very well aware of the situation!!!
If you can afford the time, head to the airport, and have someone assist you there. It's a very much better bet than trying to reach someone by phone.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
[B]If you are passing through ATL anytime on Friday afternoon, you are probably screwed. Good luck to 10kster and his fellow Deltoids down there. Visibility is down under 100 ft right now.
[B]</font>
I got through with about a 45 minute delay that day. No big deal.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
I got through with about a 45 minute delay that day. No big deal.</font>
Where were you going?

Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by nomad_2000:
Where were you going?
</font>
I'm not SRQ Guy, but I know his itin was SRQ-ATL-ORD that afternoon. I was supposed to meet him at ATL during his layover, but my plans changed.

Old Dec 4, 2002, 9:38 am

Get ready, its ice storm time. Atlanta will be bad after about 5:00 PM on Wednesday, and a problem on Thursday morning, if you believe the forecasts.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:23 am

Atlanta weather issues

Was anyone else affected by the ground stop in Atlanta last night?

My flight was getting ready to push back at MIA when word came of the ground stop and ensuing delay.

The crew handled the delay really well. F/As did a beverage service for the whole plane right away. It became hot on the plane pretty quickly, and the captain announced we could go stand in the gate area while we waited for further info from ATC. The captain kept us informed as he received information. We were allowed to come and go from the plane as long as we had our boarding pass and identification.

We were wheels up 4.5 hours after our scheduled departure time, and the approach into Hartsfield was slow. The airport was jam packed for that time of night, and I heard that there were people sitting on the floor of the Crown Room at A17, it was so crowded.

I'm going to write a letter to Delta about the excellent way this crew handled the delay.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:36 am

I was in DC. 7:05 got cancelled early in afternoon. Call to SMS got me rebooked as F on 5:05 and earlier connection ATL-MCO. 5:05 after sitting on runway, back at gate, back on runway took off at 9:00. Cabin crew was fantastic. We ran out of catering items after the first stint on runway but got restocked when we returned. Callled SMS from plane (nice PM bennie). Was backed up on my original MCO flight and the later Comair flight. Got to ATL at 10:25. The 8:35 flight was still on the ground due to FAs delayed coming in from MCO. It left minutes after the 10:05 flight. All in all, I made it home only one hour late, double MQM, and extra real miles. I have no right to complain.

marc
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:29 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
On the channel 11 (Atlanta) evening news last night (7/10), they actually interviewed a passenger (via cell phone) who was stuck on the runway in the ground hold. He made it a point to say how well the Delta F/A's were handling the situation.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Further proof of what a lot of people on this board have stated: Delta employees are the best! Thanks for sharing your stories.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:17 pm

A ground stop in Atlanta? You don't say...
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:10 pm

Angry Bad weather ATL

Just when you thought it could not get worse there is now a bad weather advisory for atlanta. 12/26/04. Expecting freezing rain and snow mix hope it is not to bad what a disasterous holiday season this is turning into for the airlines. US AIR getting killed on the news channels.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
KATL 252338Z 260024 07008KT P6SM BKN150 OVC250
FM0400 05008KT P6SM BKN100 OVC150
FM0700 04008KT P6SM BKN070 OVC100
FM1100 36008KT P6SM BKN070
FM1300 34012G16KT P6SM SKC
FM1500 32015G20KT P6SM SKC

Aviation forcast for ATL looks good what ya smokin?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:59 pm

Talking

It is the main news story on local atlanta news channels, depends how much moisture heads up from the gulf augusta supposed to be worse. I wish i had something to smoke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.