Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
International Miles Upgrade on DL Codeshare / NW metal

It seems that Delta allows 'M' fares to be upgraded with miles, while Northwest is only 'B' and 'Y'.

Has anyone any experience with using miles to upgrade a delta code share on NW metal over the pacific on a Delta 'M' fare?
Old May 5, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: MR Plat, IC Plat, AS MVP Gold, DL Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

Originally Posted by doglover
It seems that Delta allows 'M' fares to be upgraded with miles, while Northwest is only 'B' and 'Y'.

Has anyone any experience with using miles to upgrade a delta code share on NW metal over the pacific on a Delta 'M' fare?
I used my NW miles to upgrade my mom's m-fare ticket on NWA for a NRT-SEA flight.

What you can do if can't use Delta miles is to create a NWA account and transfer your miles and upgrade with your NW flight.

Happy travels.

Last edited by cundo; May 5, 2009 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Upgrade International Itinerary with Delta Miles - earn Continental miles?

Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere else in the forum.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade an international itinerary on Delta metal with Delta miles to BE -- but earn Continental miles?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
I believe you should be able to do this. CO will credit miles according to the original fare bucket that you purchased on DL. When you use your miles DL should re-issue the ticket. What matters for crediting miles is the frequent flyer number listed on the boarding pass. One caveat...CO is leaving Skyteam in October (the 24th IIRC), if you try to credit a DL flight to CO after that you will get nothing!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Originally Posted by timbre
Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere else in the forum.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade an international itinerary on Delta metal with Delta miles to BE -- but earn Continental miles?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.
Yes, this can be done, before Oct 24th
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:12 am

using miles to upgrade

How far in advance do you suggest I buy my TATL flight next June 2010. It is available using M fare for both my husband and I using 50,000 miles each.

Should I wait until the fall or will the Z inventory go away? We are just regular flyers with Delta.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by skymutt
How far in advance do you suggest I buy my TATL flight next June 2010. It is available using M fare for both my husband and I using 50,000 miles each.

Should I wait until the fall or will the Z inventory go away? We are just regular flyers with Delta.
If you are talking about coach award tickets I would jump on them now, they will never be less than 50K per ticket for TATL.
If you're talking about upgrading to BE from an M fare, same advice since the upgrade will cost you 50K no matter when you do it and Z inventory might not be available later.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: /usr/bin
If you've got the miles and you're comfortable spending the money now, and there are Z slots available I would go for it. Z inventory is unpredictable and bizarre changing from one day to the next.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Using miles to upgrade ATL-Caribbean

Since DL.com is pretty ambiguous about which fare classes apply to mileage upgrades, I figured I'd throw out the question on here. I might be upgrading some friends flying ATL-UVF using my miles. Full coach is 7,500 and "select fare classes" is 15,000. I called DL SMS to ask what the "select fare classes" include, and was told that they are B and M...the same as the international flights. This doesn't sound right to me.... is this truly the case? I thought Caribbean upgrades would include K and above (as the case with Domestic), and not just M and above.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What you were told is consistent with this:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

Perhaps you expected more discounted fares to be eligible since it's not BusinessElite service?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What you were told is consistent with this:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

Perhaps you expected more discounted fares to be eligible since it's not BusinessElite service?
Seems correct, I just find it interesting that the H/Q/K are not eligible for flights where complimentary elite upgrades can happen - I would have thought it'd be Y/B/M only on flights where elites can't upgrade complimentary (save the Hawaii exception).
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Seems correct, I just find it interesting that the H/Q/K are not eligible for flights where complimentary elite upgrades can happen - I would have thought it'd be Y/B/M only on flights where elites can't upgrade complimentary (save the Hawaii exception).
Yes, this is what strikes me as odd.

Oh well, I guess my friends will be sitting in the back.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can use PMUs on a K+ fare to the carribbean, but for miles it is M+ as mentioned.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:53 pm

Can upgrade International flight using miles if not flying YMB?

As above,

Can I upgrade the international-leg of my flight, if I do not purchase a YMB economy ticket? By upgrade I'm referring to upgrading by paying/using miles.

According to the Delta website, for flights Asia->America, it cost 12.5k miles for "Full Economy Fare"; I presume that refers to YMB. The website also says it cost 25k miles for "Select Economy Fares", however it doesn't mention what fares specifically.

So back to the question, can I use miles to upgrade my international flight if I am not on a YMB economy ticket?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I think:
Y= "full"
B,M= "select"
but I could be wrong.
In any case it is subject to availability of upgrade fare bucket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.