Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Apologies if something similar has been discussed previously...

I'm flying on Delta 90, NRT-PDX next week, and am not relishing the thought of ten hours in steerage on a cro-magnon 767. (No PTVS?!) I have Y class fare. Does anyone know how many sky miles it'll take me to upgrade to BE at the airport?

I miss worldperks.
I just confirmed on the DL website, a full Y fare is only 12,500 miles each way for the UG.

"Between the 50 U.S., Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, or Mexico AND Japan, China, or Korea via the Pacific
Upgrade Type Mileage
From Full Economy Fare1 12,500
From Select Fares1 25,000
1Applies to select published fares and specific fare classes. Please check with a Delta reservations representative for eligible fares applicable to your itinerary"

what day are you flying 90?

Why do you say you miss WP?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Aug 29, 2010 at 11:26 am
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
If you're patient, you can find the answers through Delta's website.

Definately don't wait until at the airport because they typically don't process mileage upgrades closer than 2 days before departure.
There is Z availability for all of next week. So, if you really want to fly in BE and have the 25K miles, you can confirm a BE seat today!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I'm flying on Delta 90, NRT-PDX next week, and am not relishing the thought of ten hours in steerage on a cro-magnon 767. (No PTVS?!) I have Y class fare.
Check your ticket receipt to find out the fare you actually purchased. You wrote "Y class" - did you mean just a cheap coach ticket? Here's how to view your receipt where the actual fare class is displayed.

Logon to DL.com and view your itinerary. Select the option "Email receipt" and send the ticket receipt to your email address - this just takes a few seconds to show up in your email inbox.

Look at your email receipt for this itinerary. You will see something that looks like this:

Code:
DELTA CONFIRMATION #:  abc123
TICKET #:  0060123456789
                                 Bkng                          Meals/ Seat/
Day Date       Flight     Status Class       City        Time  Other  Cabin
--- ----- --------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ------ -------
Wed 29SEP DELTA 0090        OK     L   LV TOKYO

and so on
What is the letter under the heading "Bkng Class"? Is it "Y", or "B" or "M"? The price for your upgrade is based upon this code.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by mnbp
Check your ticket receipt to find out the fare you actually purchased. You wrote "Y class" - did you mean just a cheap coach ticket? Here's how to view your receipt where the actual fare class is displayed.

Logon to DL.com and view your itinerary. Select the option "Email receipt" and send the ticket receipt to your email address - this just takes a few seconds to show up in your email inbox.

Look at your email receipt for this itinerary. You will see something that looks like this:

Code:
DELTA CONFIRMATION #:  abc123
TICKET #:  0060123456789
                                 Bkng                          Meals/ Seat/
Day Date       Flight     Status Class       City        Time  Other  Cabin
--- ----- --------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ------ -------
Wed 29SEP DELTA 0090        OK     L   LV TOKYO

and so on
What is the letter under the heading "Bkng Class"? Is it "Y", or "B" or "M"? The price for your upgrade is based upon this code.
Strange. I did what you suggested, yet it only gave me

"Day Date Flight City Time Cabin "
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I just confirmed on the DL website, a full Y fare is only 12,500 miles each way for the UG.

"Between the 50 U.S., Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, or Mexico AND Japan, China, or Korea via the Pacific
Upgrade Type Mileage
From Full Economy Fare1 12,500
From Select Fares1 25,000
1Applies to select published fares and specific fare classes. Please check with a Delta reservations representative for eligible fares applicable to your itinerary"

what day are you flying 90?
Thanks for the info! I'm flying out on Tuesday, but going through SEA on 295, and returning on the 12th on 90. (Misspoke when I wrote next week.) I took this route previously, when it was operated by the 332, so I'm not exactly psyched about the long haul on the 767.

I miss WP mainly because I miss NWA -- no offense. Moreover, the ease of use was definitely better than what I'm getting with Skymiles...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Strange. I did what you suggested, yet it only gave me

"Day Date Flight City Time Cabin "
did you request "email receipt"? Itinerary on DL does not show the booking class, and you are unable to see your receipt on DL vs on NW where you could access your receipt online and print it out or even save it on your computer......

Mileage upgrade from "Y" fare is 15,000 miles.
Mileage upgrade from "B" and "M" fares is 25,000 miles.

You will need to call DL to apply the upgrade using miles. If easy to do from where you are, just call if you are unable to see your booking class.

BTW, yes, it is easy to miss NW regarding this sort of stuff, as well as a lot of other stuff......
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:50 pm
Suspended

DL flight #90 on sept. 12 has plenty of Z availability. You can definitely upgrade using your miles, and as others have suggested, it should be done as soon as possible.

The other thing, do you have elite status with DL? The flight appears to be very full in coach. You can roll the dice and hope for an op-up.

Either way, If your fare class is in fact 'Y', then the mileage to UG is very minimal and if your elite, your chances for an op-up are good.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:56 pm

DL flight #90 on sept. 12 has plenty of Z availability. You can definitely upgrade using your miles, and as others have suggested, it should be done as soon as possible.

The other thing, do you have elite status with DL? The flight appears to be very full in coach. You can roll the dice and hope for an op-up.
yes i do! thanks for info re: coach on the 12th. that's encouraging.

i'm thinking i'lll take my chances: i don't really feel like dropping the miles for a less than ten hour flight. if i were going, say, nrt to jfk on the 744 --- well, that would be one hell of a slog in Y, and i'd be upgrading in a flash.

on my last trans-pac, ICN-SEA on KE, I scored the op-up, so let's hope for a two'fer...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:12 am
Suspended

Koreanair,

I was just looking ahead to the next couple of days, and the NRT to PDX flight, according to expertflyer, has only 1 seat available in coach for the next few days. For the flight on the 12th of Sept, which is still two weeks away, there's only 4 seats left in coach. Your chances look promising.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:35 pm

Koreanair,

I was just looking ahead to the next couple of days, and the NRT to PDX flight, according to expertflyer, has only 1 seat available in coach for the next few days. For the flight on the 12th of Sept, which is still two weeks away, there's only 4 seats left in coach. Your chances look promising.
many thanks for all the info. my last question is this: should i be worried that my seats have already been assigned?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:46 pm
Suspended

many thanks for all the info. my last question is this: should i be worried that my seats have already been assigned?
Not sure I understand. You should be able to choose your seats ahead of time. Delta does not charge for pre-assigned seating.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Question 80K miles needed to upgrade US <-> SE Asia ??

M fare (obviously) upped with miles to Z on BNA<>BKK (Via DTW and NRT).

There is no entry at all in the DL award chart for this. It previously cost me 25K miles (on the NWA K fare IIRC), and was stunned to see 80k miles gone (40K each way).

Anybody know what the "correct" number is?

Also, if they are now splitting it, and I spent 15K intr-asia each way, can I recover those that did not ticket? (NRT->BKK is still in M).

I suspect the answer is to keep calling, but it does help to know WTH is up when I argue. :confused
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I am a little confused on your post and your question. But, I regularly book ATL - BKK via NRT in M and upgrade for 50k miles roundtrip. Just did it about 2 weeks ago. Not sure about inter Asia though. You have to call and speak with an agent to do this, cannot be done online.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
25K miles for upgrade - DEN-MSP-AMS-BOM

This one-way upgrade was in August - I was already in business class, so I used 25K miles for my daughter and one PMU for my son - covered all 3 legs. However, it did take me forever (5+ hours) to make this happen - all on DL flights, no code shares. It was always something new - first the middle segment was blcoked from even doing standby, so they couldn't get it all the way through - I called 6 times over 3 weeks until finally it got worked out - 5+ of the most painful hours of my life - especially since with each call it became more clear that that I knew more than any of the agents about any of the processes. I'd call it a wash at best - it was nice to be in business class for that long of a flight - so why can't DL not make it so painful? If I had gotten it done the first time, this WOULD have been the best deal I'd ever received for an upgrade this long. I never felt like my PM status mattered at all, they were constanly trying to find ways to tell me it didn't work. Oh well, that's a family flight I do only once a year - I am planning to status match to CO so next time that is how I'll be flying....
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The last time I upgraded from TLV it was 50,000 r/t. In those days, DL was not flying into TLV, so I had to fly to CDG on El Al in Y and only got the upgrade CDG-ATL-FLL (but I had to pay for M from TLV).

Last edited by Dovster; Sep 6, 2010 at 9:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.