Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic to Join the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Program 10-1-2002

Old Feb 1, 02, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum

I am planning a trip from Phoenix to London to board a ship for a cruise around the Baltic this summer and have more than enough miles to fly over and back on a reward ticket.

British Airways (100K for F/C) has embargoed travel through AmericaWest redemption so I'm looking at either VirginAir or Delta to make the trip.

Delta required 80K per passenger and VS requires 100K per passenger. I can redeem on either using AMEX membership miles or on VS using AmericaWest miles.

Service and comfort-wise does anyone have strong feelings for one or the other?

On VS the connection will be through LAX (longer flight to Europe offering more time to sleep); on DL the connection is through CVG.

Appreciate your comments and advice.
Old Feb 1, 02, 10:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Most FA's I know prefer to hop to Europe via CVG instead of the overly crowded JFK/BOS/ATL ports. One thing to consider, will you be flying DL metal or one of their BP's if you take the CVG connection. If a BP like Air France, F offers the added feature of a sleeper seat for the first 2/4 rows (depending on configuration.) DL is limited to B/E for int'l flights - but B/E is still quite nice.

I've not flown Virgin, so I've nothing to comment on it. Now if Singapore Airlines were an option .......

GMF
Old Feb 1, 02, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

With 100k I assume it is Upper Class?
I am admitedly a little biased being VS Silver FF and not flown Delta but I would choose Virgin over Delta as the service is pporbably better (flat beds on VS), access to lounge both at LAX, LHR and the revivals lounge at LHR on arrival ( dining before boarding) and excellent cabin service & in flight entertainment-PTVs and games) as well as a massage service on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale twice on holiday in the past two years and loved the city and area.Lokking forward to visiting it agagain this summer.

As this is a Delta forum I'm ready to be flamed!!

Old Feb 1, 02, 10:48 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); soon formerly LEXington, KY; otherwise around and about
Programs: DL still sort-of Elite; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Mr Scot: we rarely flame honesty here. In fact, I agree with you that (1) phoenixian would probably prefer Virgin and (2) AZ valley cities are cool, er, fun. Besides, we're very fond of 1AB on DL 36/37 and don't want any more competition for those seats!

Now about smiley faces... that might be flame bait!

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Feb 1, 02, 11:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:
access to the revivals lounge at LHR on arrival
</font>
I just had to chuckle at this Is it really called the "revivals lounge"? If so, two images immediately come to mind:

1. A big top tent with a prayer "revival" complete with singing and dancing in the aisles

or

2. the cast of the show "ER" waiting inside the lounge as pax enter, promptly putting them on a gurney, and getting out the paddles to "revive" them

Old Feb 1, 02, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Jetsetter777.

Yes it is really called the Revivals Lounge ( interesting mental images though!!!).

There are showers there and you can have a light breakfast while your suit/clothes get ironed apparently. ( I'm saving up my miles for a UC flight to get to use the lounge on my return to London-probably a flight next year)
Old Feb 1, 02, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Virgin Upper Class.
Old Feb 1, 02, 3:16 pm

Several years back, I remember DL having a codeshare with VS, where you could use SWUs to upgrade to Upper Class. Never flew them though. I've read where full fare paxs get a free limo ride to/from the airport on either side of the atlantic, manicures or massages onboard and a stand-up bar on the 744.
Old Feb 1, 02, 4:57 pm

Upper Class, but be warned that the lounge at LAX is nothing like the one at LHR--they share it with some Canadian carrier. (This info is as of 3-4 years ago.) But, even still, I would go Virgin hands down.
Old Feb 2, 02, 8:16 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
When DL had the code sharing with VS SWU's were not permitted on that flight. Neither were miles for upgrading. It was the same for RG and I'm not positive on the next one but it seems to me that you couldn't upgrade on the SQ flight our of JFK either.

Until recently the rules have been great. Delta code=Delta rules. But now things are changing again. We can't upgrade on SA or LY or to points past CDG (other than DL metal to BOM)
Old Feb 2, 02, 1:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAOCA:
When DL had the code sharing with VS SWU's were not permitted on that flight. Neither were miles for upgrading. It was the same for RG and I'm not positive on the next one but it seems to me that you couldn't upgrade on the SQ flight our of JFK either.
</font>
I don't recall that being the case with VS. I do know that VS placed a more stringent fare requirement for upgrade using a SWU (M fares wouldn't cut it), but upgrades were possible.

I flew VS metal/DL code BOS-LGW several times, so I investigated this policy quite carefully.
Old Sep 4, 02, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Virgin Atlantic Joins SkyMiles?

Wasn't Virgin Atlantic a Delta partner in a previous life. In any case, check out the September SkyMiles newsletter. It looks like we can finally get to Heathrow and Australia.
Old Sep 4, 02, 3:25 pm

Yes, Virgin Atlantic used to parter with Delta.

Where is there any indication that the alliance is being reborn?
Old Sep 4, 02, 3:26 pm

You are correct. Virgin Atlantic was a Skymiles partner until about 4 years ago.
Old Sep 4, 02, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Welcome Virgin Atlantic Airways

With a commitment to great service and hassle-free travel, Virgin is a welcome addition to the SkyMiles family. Starting October 1, 2002, SkyMiles members can earn miles on all qualifying Virgin flights. Earn a 100% mileage bonus on Economy Class tickets, 115% on Premium Economy Class tickets and 125% on Upper Class tickets. And between October 1 and December 15, 2002, members can earn double miles on all paid Virgin-operated flights. Flying Virgin is another great way to get yourself closer to Award Travel—and beginning October 1, you can redeem miles for Award Travel on Virgin flights as well.

Based in London, Virgin offers regular flights from several U.S. gateways to their Heathrow hub with connections to Africa, India, Australia and Asia. For information on Virgin's participation in the SkyMiles program, call the number on the back of your SkyMiles Card. For reservations and more information, visit virgin.com.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: