Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic to Join the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Program 10-1-2002

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic to Join the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Program 10-1-2002

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, HHonors Gold
Sweet! Then they just need to convince Emirates to join SkyTeam and make it a real alliance! We can all dream, can't we?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Virgin Atlantic on brink of alliance, says Branson

VS, and presumably another carrier, will announce an alliance "within a few months."

The only question is will it by DL/ST or *A? I personally think DL and VS would complement each other better.
If you look at their current tie ups, VS has has codeshares with 7 *A carriers and partnerships with 2 additional *A carriers and has no similar agreements with carriers belonging to any other alliance. I think a DL/ST tie up is highly unlikely and *A seems to be the best choice. VS likes to be associated with more quality carriers and I don't think Branson is the type who'd want his airline in the global reject alliance.

Originally Posted by bdheini
Sweet! Then they just need to convince Emirates to join SkyTeam and make it a real alliance! We can all dream, can't we?
If that was the case it would then become the Emirates alliance.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ande777emt
If you look at their current tie ups, VS has has codeshares with 7 *A carriers and partnerships with 2 additional *A carriers and has no similar agreements with carriers belonging to any other alliance. I think a DL/ST tie up is highly unlikely and *A seems to be the best choice. VS likes to be associated with more quality carriers and I don't think Branson is the type who'd want his airline in the global reject alliance.
See, I think Branson would want to be in the alliance where he could have some sway and influence. I don't think he gets that in *A, but in ST he could be a big player.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh please. Branson's entire career has been about associating with who offeres him the best opportunity for him to make money, quality or none. While there may be little St cooperation now, there have in fact been two times, once in recent memory and ended just as DL started its LHR operations, when DL and VS were closer than VS has ever been with anyother carrier, don;t forget that once upon a time VA and DL operated a JV accross the Atlantic with blocked space that is pretty much as close as two airlines have ever been.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ande777emt

I tend to agree, ST does not help him much, since AF/ KLM are more of a competitors to him then *A carriers are. Or is it he does not want an Alliance, but a US carrier to work with. IF it is just a US carrier I think DL would be a good choice, since it lets him get into ATL, and connections to a lot of the destinations Europeans would want to go to, that VS does not serve directly.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best idea might be for Branson to form another alliance, made up of the disenchanted members of the other three and perhaps other non-alligned airlines. For instance, US hasn't been invited to play in the *A immunized TATL and TPAC joint ventures - it is the only USA-based legacy that still has to compete with its own alliance "partners" across the Atlantic.

I'm sure there are other airlines around the world not yet in an alliance or dissatisfied with their current coupling that could form a viable fourth group.

Consumer groups and antitrust regulators would probably welcome a fourth alliance as well.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Pure Fantasy, But...

I know this is pure fantasy, but I'd love to see Delta bail on the CDG-ruled SkyTeam crap and hook up with VS and Emirates to form a real third alliance. Let Air France get stuck with all the fat girls at the prom.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Any updates on Virgin Atlantic's decision? Seems like this has been in play for a while now and thought after hiring Deutsche Bank that Branson wanted to make a decision soon.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
There was a news story yesterday saying they would be making a decision soon. Unfortunately from the sound of it, I would be extremely surprised if they went with anyone other than Star.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonbrune...chard-branson/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.