Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
2 hours is plenty. You won't know until the day of the flight if you'll have to change terminals, but even if you do, you'll make it with time to spare (with the usual "as long as your first flight is on time" caveat.)
Thanks. I'm surprised that the schedule changed so much.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zitsky
In October I'm going BCN-JFK-RDU. Connection in JFK was 5 hours. Now it's 2 hours. Wiki says this should be long enough, correct? I have Global Entry. Nice to get home earlier but I hope the connection doesn't get any shorter.

I assume I have to change terminals for the RDU flight, but I'm not sure this far out.
With Global Entry even an hour and half should be fine. You'll likely depart from the same terminal. Most RJs depart from T4.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:22 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Due to a weather waiver, I am trying to reconstruct my flight itinerary. Perfect flights would be BNA to JFK then JFK to BWI both in the evening. Delta . Com won’t sell it because connection time is 34 min and mct is 35. Would Diamond like be able to ticket this with the caveat that it’s my risk if I don’t make it? Really don’t want to over night in Jfk if possible. Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Due to a weather waiver, I am trying to reconstruct my flight itinerary. Perfect flights would be BNA to JFK then JFK to BWI both in the evening. Delta . Com won’t sell it because connection time is 34 min and mct is 35. Would Diamond like be able to ticket this with the caveat that it’s my risk if I don’t make it? Really don’t want to over night in Jfk if possible. Thanks!
The system should inhibit this. Would DCA or IAD work better?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Location: Winter Park Fla. USA Hilton Diamond, Delta SM, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
MCT for Intl flight at JFK

I have an award flight DUB-JFK on August 14th scheduled to arrive at 1:30 or so. I have a separate award flight home to MCO scheduled to depart at 3:40. We have Global Entry and will not be checking bags. Does this give us enough time to clear customs and get to the next flight? The next available flight from JFK to MCO is not until 7:30 and I'd rather not wait for 5 hours at JFK if I didn't have to. If I did, would I be able to access the Clubhouse on arrival since I'm flying in D1 on a Virgin ticket?

Last edited by vendsit; Mar 8, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta PM
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:01 am

That’s plenty of time. You should be able to even stop and grab something to eat.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, there is no MCT. You are traveling on separate tickets. Thus, you may book any second ticket you wish.
Second, you are arriving functionally as a domestic passenger because you will pass through CBP Pre-Clearance at DUB. Thus, GE and bags are irrelevant (for purposes of your JFK travel).
Third, I would certainly book this ticket transfer, recognizing that DL will generally as a policy matter rebook on its next available -- stress available -- even though it has no obligation to do so.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by vendsit
I have an award flight DUB-JFK [...] If I did, would I be able to access the Clubhouse on arrival since I'm flying in D1 on a Virgin ticket?
No, you must be on a non-stop flight to/from the UK:

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One® passengers, Upper Class passengers, and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic.
You should have SkyClub access on arrival, however.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:59 pm

I’m going to Iceland this Sept and will fly with Delta. The return layover seems like it will be tight, although the wiki posts that it will be enough time.

I plan to carry on luggage unless I’m forced to check my bag if there’s a shortage of overhead bin space. Would a 2hr 25 min layover be enough to catch the flight back to RDU with Global Entry and waiting for baggage? Thanks in advance.

OUTBOUND:
RDU 3:45pm to JFK 5:36pm
JFK 9:09pm to KEF 6:55am

RETURN:
KEF 8:30am to JFK 10:45am
JFK 1:10pm to RDU 3:02pm

Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:43 am

It depends on the ground staff...

Last December, I was coming in at T4 and had to fly out of T4. For some inexplicable reason, our seats where changed to stand-by on our KLM-operated flight. We were encouraged to get it sorted out at the transfer desk.

At JFK, the Delta transfer desk next to our departure gate looked at our (AF-marketed) flight number and sent us to T1: "That's the Air France terminal." When I tried to explain that it's a code-share and the flight was operated by KLM and not by Air France, the ground staffer looked at me as if she saw ice spontaneously combust. She made a phone call and the person on the other side also was convinced that an AF flight code had to depart from the AF terminal.

While we had close to 2 hours of transfer time, we would've missed our flight if I wasn't prepared due to incompetent ground crew.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by YogiB
It depends on the ground staff...

Last December, I was coming in at T4 and had to fly out of T4. For some inexplicable reason, our seats where changed to stand-by on our KLM-operated flight. We were encouraged to get it sorted out at the transfer desk.

At JFK, the Delta transfer desk next to our departure gate looked at our (AF-marketed) flight number and sent us to T1: "That's the Air France terminal." When I tried to explain that it's a code-share and the flight was operated by KLM and not by Air France, the ground staffer looked at me as if she saw ice spontaneously combust. She made a phone call and the person on the other side also was convinced that an AF flight code had to depart from the AF terminal.

While we had close to 2 hours of transfer time, we would've missed our flight if I wasn't prepared due to incompetent ground crew.
Thanks, I’ll definitely take that into consideration. I’m usually more comfortable with at least 3hr layovers, so I may just look at one thats at least 3hrs.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Malibu902
I’m going to Iceland this Sept and will fly with Delta. The return layover seems like it will be tight, although the wiki posts that it will be enough time.

I plan to carry on luggage unless I’m forced to check my bag if there’s a shortage of overhead bin space. Would a 2hr 25 min layover be enough to catch the flight back to RDU with Global Entry and waiting for baggage? Thanks in advance.

OUTBOUND:
RDU 3:45pm to JFK 5:36pm
JFK 9:09pm to KEF 6:55am

RETURN:
KEF 8:30am to JFK 10:45am
JFK 1:10pm to RDU 3:02pm

2hrs is plenty having GE, even with checked bags. You'll also be on all DL flights so no issues with confusion.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I am flying BOS-LGA/JFK-LHR all on 1 Delta ticket.

I am wondering what the MCT is for LGA-JFK connections? This is connecting from a DL flight to a VS flight.

I see in the Wiki it says LA-JFK - 3.5 hours - not sure if this means LaGuardia or LATAM...

Delta has me on a ticket connecting LGA to JFK with 2 hours and 4 minutes total time...that feels below MCT...especially given a 60 minute check in cutoff for VS at JFK. I would hope I could do online check in but who knows.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Does the Delta app show both terminal and gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.