Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 8:33 pm

90 minute int’l connection JFK

I have two reservations that were issued by Delta on DL ticket numbers:
AMS > LHR > JFK
JFK > DCA

I have 90 minutes between flights at JFK. I searched and found that Delta will sell me the routing with this amount of time. Will they give me any grief because they were ticketed separately though? I am checking bags so I’ll have to claim and re-check after immigration and customs.

My itinerary originates at AMS on a KLM regional flight to LHR. I transfer to a Virgin Atlantic flight on the same reservation. I end with a DL flight from JFK to DCA. I’ll ask if KLM can check my bags “all the way through”, which is a bit of a farce because you always have to claim and recheck when entering the US. If that happens, I’m not terribly worried. If KLM can’t check the bags through, my concern is that I’ll claim bags at JFK and then DL will say that it’s past the cutoff to recheck them for my flight to DCA.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wilkinsonmd
I have two reservations that were issued by Delta on DL ticket numbers:
AMS > LHR > JFK
JFK > DCA

I have 90 minutes between flights at JFK. I searched and found that Delta will sell me the routing with this amount of time. Will they give me any grief because they were ticketed separately though? I am checking bags so I’ll have to claim and re-check after immigration and customs.

My itinerary originates at AMS on a KLM regional flight to LHR. I transfer to a Virgin Atlantic flight on the same reservation. I end with a DL flight from JFK to DCA. I’ll ask if KLM can check my bags “all the way through”, which is a bit of a farce because you always have to claim and recheck when entering the US. If that happens, I’m not terribly worried. If KLM can’t check the bags through, my concern is that I’ll claim bags at JFK and then DL will say that it’s past the cutoff to recheck them for my flight to DCA.
They shouldn't give you any hard time. KLM and VS are partners so you should be protected in IRROPS even on separate tickets. I believe that KLM should be able to tag your bags to DCA.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wilkinsonmd
...my concern is that I’ll claim bags at JFK and then DL will say that it’s past the cutoff to recheck them for my flight to DCA.
Don't at all worry about that JFK-DCA flight. It is one of the most unreliable flights at Kennedy and the DL agents are accustomed to handling it with great aplomb. They know that they have flights to DCA almost every hour from LGA on which they can put their misconnected passengers. So if you are late for that JFK-DCA (and it actually went without you), no worries since DL will give you a taxi voucher to LGA with the new flight confirmation in your hand.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:36 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Any thoughts on flying DL411 to KL 646? This is TPA-JFK on a weekend connecting to the KLM dreamliner to AMS. I would be checking a bag, but would also be up front. I think this MCT is 45m. I get all of an additional 15 mins buffer...
Old May 23, 2018, 8:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
KLM flies out of T1, don't they? you'll need to re-clear security as there is no airside connection.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
KLM flies out of T1, don't they? you'll need to re-clear security as there is no airside connection.
No T4.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TBD
Any thoughts on flying DL411 to KL 646? This is TPA-JFK on a weekend connecting to the KLM dreamliner to AMS. I would be checking a bag, but would also be up front. I think this MCT is 45m. I get all of an additional 15 mins buffer...
Is have no issue. There's later both DL and KLM flights. Though I do love the KL787.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No T4.
ah, that's right, in that case I'm not sure what the question is.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:46 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Last time I flew on this route (albeit the opposite direction), I flew out of T2. i don't live in NYC, so any time I think of JFK, I assume it will be a mess of changing terminals.

Anyway - quite right. I do see a DL flight an hour or so later and my connecting flight out of AMS has an alternative, too. I'll go for the KL787!
Old May 23, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pvn
ah, that's right, in that case I'm not sure what the question is.
It's strange since AF does use T1. I wish they'd make T4 ST and move the T1 ST airlines over and send the T4 non ST to T1. However I believe that company that owns T1 has long term contracts with most airlines there.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So I have ATL-JFK-LHR coming up, DL to VS. Booked in DL FC and VS PE, but I wasn't completely paying attention when booking and realize later I only gave myself a 70 min connection.

If all is on time I'm confident I'll make it, but I'm a bit worried about summer thunderstorms and resulting delays as my flights start in the afternoon. Plus the remaining VS flights that evening appear to now be sold out in PE, reducing my rebooking options if things go sideways. And I wouldn't mind a couple hours in the VS Clubhouse.

What are my chances of a DL agent letting me move up to an earlier flight out of ATL? I know SDC is technically not allowed, but if I plead with the PM desk the night before, do I have any chance at all of getting a favor?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
What are my chances of a DL agent letting me move up to an earlier flight out of ATL? I know SDC is technically not allowed, but if I plead with the PM desk the night before, do I have any chance at all of getting a favor?
If bad thunderstorms are forecast, you'll probably get a weather waiver that will allow you to Name Your Flight, possibly even a couple of days in advance. Otherwise, show up early at ATL and see if an agent will put you on an earlier flight?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bennos
If bad thunderstorms are forecast, you'll probably get a weather waiver that will allow you to Name Your Flight, possibly even a couple of days in advance. Otherwise, show up early at ATL and see if an agent will put you on an earlier flight?
Yeah that's the general plan. Just seeing if anyone has had success in the past. Or conversely (and probably more relevant to this thread), if VS would ever hold their late flights out of JFK when DL inbounds are delayed.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Transatlantic ‘traffic lane’ slot times are pretty carefully assigned by ATC in Canada and Ireland so the airlines are often reluctant to hold those flights much if it would mess with that lane assignment
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
If things go wrong, they might just rebook you ATL-LHR on VS.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.