Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by sethb
No letter? That can't be right.

But then, 72 doesn't seem to exist at either T4 (B20-B41) or T2 (C60-C70) per the panynj map.
I just called DL and the agent, and her supervisor, told me they had no idea what is was either. They see the same thing I do, Terminal 4, gate 72.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
They probably painted a few new stripes and lines on the ramp out at the RJ farm and are calling it "Gate 72."

Wear your hiking boots for that one.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I should have asked, for which flight?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by monitor
They probably painted a few new stripes and lines on the ramp out at the RJ farm and are calling it "Gate 72."

Wear your hiking boots for that one.
Especially if the hike is to T4.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
And awesome thread. Usually connect in JFK plenty of times, but usually DL-DL and D-D, so easy-peezy!
Have a DL-AI connection coming up!

DL ATL-JFK, arriving at around 10:20 am

AI -JFK-DEL departing at 3:15 pm.

As of now, looks like both the flights arrive and depart from T4. I was wondering if there was a way to stay airside and get my AI BP's, perhaps from the lounge itself (OLCI with AI yields only a coupon for international flights)? Trying to avoid going through the TSA nude-o-scope twice in one day.

Just some stats:

1.Flying international J on AI
2.*A Gold status
3. DL PM and also have access to SC (not sure if it matters, just throwing it out there)

Thanks much!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
And awesome thread. Usually connect in JFK plenty of times, but usually DL-DL and D-D, so easy-peezy!
Have a DL-AI connection coming up!

DL ATL-JFK, arriving at around 10:20 am

AI -JFK-DEL departing at 3:15 pm.

As of now, looks like both the flights arrive and depart from T4. I was wondering if there was a way to stay airside and get my AI BP's, perhaps from the lounge itself (OLCI with AI yields only a coupon for international flights)? Trying to avoid going through the TSA nude-o-scope twice in one day.

Just some stats:

1.Flying international J on AI
2.*A Gold status
3. DL PM and also have access to SC (not sure if it matters, just throwing it out there)

Thanks much!
Air India operates its own lounge at T4, upstairs near gate A5, so you could try going there and see if they are able to check you in -- it may not be open right when you get off your flight flight though (though neither might the landside check-in desk at that point). No idea if they will be able to though.

Worst case, as long as you get to the AI lounge 3 hours or so before your flight, is that they say no and you go landside and check in there. Either way might be useful to hang out at the Sky Club for 90 minutes or so, as long as your inbound flight is on time, to kill time until AI's facilities are likely to be open.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Does anyone have any anecdotal stats on the frequency or likelihood of the DM Porsche car service for connections at JFK?

I have a regional inbound CRJ flight connecting to JFK-LAX in discount J. Layover is 47 minutes, late on Sunday afternoon.

I'm a little (though not wildly) concerned about the connection time, but I'd certainly feel more comfortable if I knew the car service connection were more likely.

Last edited by jkatzen; Sep 26, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No stats that I know of but plenty of data points at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...p-porsche.html
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:20 am

Question IAD - JFK (48m) - FRA

Hi,
i yesterday booked a flight that left me with a Layover of just 48 minutes. We will be arriving at JFK with DL3349 from IAD at 6:50PM and hopefully leaving to FRA at 7:38 with DL410. I checked flightradar and it seems like both flight are located at Terminal 4, am i right?
What do you guys think: Is this doable?

Thanks for your Help!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bembii
Hi,
i yesterday booked a flight that left me with a Layover of just 48 minutes. We will be arriving at JFK with DL3349 from IAD at 6:50PM and hopefully leaving to FRA at 7:38 with DL410. I checked flightradar and it seems like both flight are located at Terminal 4, am i right?
What do you guys think: Is this doable?

Thanks for your Help!
It's doable, but the chance of misconnect is high.

DL 410 is expected to leave from T4 (first digit of flight number).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:11 pm

Hi,

My wife and I will be connecting in JFK.

Inbound flight: DL43 ex BRU
2 hours 26 min. Connecting time

Outbound flight: DL2407 to MCO

We are flying Delta one/ First

Any advice how to best tackle our connection is highly appreciated!

is there a Skypriority Immigration/ security entry? If so, where to go?

Is DL2407 always from T2?

Thanks for the assistance!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Icelanta
Hi,

Look for the staff holding the QuickConnect signs, although they are only supposed to send you through the short line if your connecting time is less than 2 hours. In my last experiences at JFK immigration, you should be fine.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

DL 2407 should be from T2, but it's not guaranteed.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: DM/3MM

There is no SkyPriority line for immigration and customs. However, you will need to reclear security after immigration/customs, and at security there will be a SkyPriority line.

T4 immigration and customs has gotten better, but it can still be chaotic. With the addition of the kiosks, the immigration lines for US/permanent residents can move fast (even if it looks like a lot of people in line). Customs has slowed down though (people get through immigration faster so it bunches up), and will be very slow if flights from certain destinations arrive when your flight does. If you qualify, I highly recommend getting Global Entry. You will breeze through immigration and customs (plus you get Pre-check).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I just had a schedule change that makes my connection really tight. I have 50 minutes.

I'm flying BOS-JFK-LHR. Most BOS-JFK flights arrive at T2. The JFK-LHR leg is operated by VS.

It would make sense to fly BOS-LHR nonstop, but the JFK-LHR flight is the only flight operated by DL/VS that isn't a redeye. My instinct says that 50 minutes to make this connection is a bad idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.