Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by xms
Hey everyone,

I'm flying AA from DCA at 7:30, Thursday, Dec 10th, to JFK, which would arrive in Terminal 8. I have a connecting flight to Rome through Alitalia in Terminal one that leaves 1 hr 30 min later. Does this seem like enough time to transfer between terminals and go through security again? I've never been to JFK and am a flying novice in general. I didn't consider transfer times when I bought the ticket and just happen to see some online reviews in which travelers suggest not even two hours is enough.

There is a flight that leaves 40 minutes earlier, that I am considering switching to, but would hinge on being able to leave work a little early. I'm leaning towards doing this out of fear, as any delay from DCA to JFK would destroy the trip altogether.

Would an hour and a half be enough time to transfer between?
This is an almost impossible connection. T1 security is a madhouse, you didn't specify which class you are flying, but if you are flying Economy, forget about it.

My advice: book the earlier flight.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:40 pm
xms

Originally Posted by SDQBound
This is an almost impossible connection. T1 security is a madhouse, you didn't specify which class you are flying, but if you are flying Economy, forget about it.

My advice: book the earlier flight.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I've switched to Delta leaving at 6:40. That gives me 2 hours 20 minutes to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1. I am flying Economy and won't have any checked bags--just carry on. Does that sound more doable?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xms
Yeah, after thinking about it, I've switched to Delta leaving at 6:40. That gives me 2 hours 20 minutes to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1. I am flying Economy and won't have any checked bags--just carry on. Does that sound more doable?
IMO it's still tight, especially since the DCA-JFK flights are prone to delays.

However the good news is that you can take the DL Jitney (airside shuttle bus) from T4 to T2, exit T2, and then walk (land side) to T1 to save some time, although there really isn't a sidewalk along the whole path. This might save time over taking the train between terminals.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's still tight, especially since the DCA-JFK flights are prone to delays.

However the good news is that you can take the DL Jitney (airside shuttle bus) from T4 to T2, exit T2, and then walk (land side) to T1 to save some time, although there really isn't a sidewalk along the whole path. This might save time over taking the train between terminals.
From my personal experience doing both, it's easier and faster to use the Airtrain than the Jitney.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
From my personal experience doing both, it's easier and faster to use the Airtrain than the Jitney.
It depends on from where. If you're at the higher end gates, the jitney is nearby and the Airtrain quite a distance away.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:44 pm
xms

I managed to push the flight back a little bit further and now have a layover that's 2 hours and 40 minutes. Hopefully that will provide more cushions for any possible delay.

Now, i have to get from Terminal 8 to 1. Is that walkable? or is it just one stop over on the AirTrain?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by xms
I managed to push the flight back a little bit further and now have a layover that's 2 hours and 40 minutes. Hopefully that will provide more cushions for any possible delay.

Now, i have to get from Terminal 8 to 1. Is that walkable? or is it just one stop over on the AirTrain?
It's actually 5 stops away. You need to take the AirTrain terminal loop, Which goes T8-T7-T5-T4-T2-T1. If you take either the Jamaica or Howard Beach train, the next station will be outside of the terminal areas (Federal Circle).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It's actually 5 stops away. You need to take the AirTrain terminal loop, Which goes T8-T7-T5-T4-T2-T1. If you take either the Jamaica or Howard Beach train, the next station will be outside of the terminal areas (Federal Circle).
Or you can take a train to Federal Circle, get off and take a train back to T1.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:26 pm
xms

Which of the above is faster?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xms
Which of the above is faster?
I would take whichever train comes first.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:08 am

If you know your way around, both should be fine, but the easiest should be the terminal loop.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:38 pm

After endless hours of reading this amazing thread and others, and being a generally conservative travel scheduler, I've ended up with flights that do concern me. Jfk isn't an airport I've ever been to/through, I've not traveled internationally in decades, and I'm pretty much a kettle traveling with actual newbies. Here's what we've got booked to come home (4 travelers, all US passport holders, with checked luggage for sure).

DELTA 9538*
MAIN CABIN (V)
UNITED KINGDOM
6:05am
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
8:45am

DELTA 49
MAIN CABIN (V)
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
10:30am
NYC-KENNEDY
12:45pm

DELTA 4070*
MAIN CABIN (V)
NYC-KENNEDY
3:00pm
TORONTO, ON

*Flight 9538 Operated by KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES As KL Flt 1470
*Flight 4070 Operated by ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION

Any cause for concern? And any strategies to minimize risk?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tripbuddy
DELTA 49
MAIN CABIN (V)
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
10:30am
NYC-KENNEDY
12:45pm

DELTA 4070*
MAIN CABIN (V)
NYC-KENNEDY
3:00pm
TORONTO, ON

Any cause for concern? And any strategies to minimize risk?
Given that your YYZ flight is a 4xxx flight number, it'll probably leave from T4, which is the same terminal you'll arrive at. So the process will be
  1. Get off the plane
  2. Walk, 5-10 minutes
  3. Clear immigration, probably 15-30 minutes
  4. Collect bag, probably there by the time you clear immigration, unless you clear really fast
  5. Exit customs, 5-10 minutes
  6. Recheck bag, 5 minutes
  7. Reclear security, 5-15 minutes
  8. Walk to new gate, 10-15 minutes (probably one of the far B gates)

Since you are all US citizens you'll be eligible to use the kiosks (not the Global Entry ones, the other ones), which should speed up immigration a bit.

If your inbound to JFK arrives late, you may be eligible to use the QuickConnect line, but that ordinarily requires a connection of less than two hours.

Most likely you'll be fine. Even if you do miss your flight, there should be a couple of later flights they can move you too, or worst case you have to transfer to LGA to pick up a flight there.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:46 pm

Bennos, thanks for the quick and specific reply. I read here very, very frequently but almost never ask questions or post. This place is a fantastic resource.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tripbuddy
Bennos, thanks for the quick and specific reply. I read here very, very frequently but almost never ask questions or post. This place is a fantastic resource.
I do about 10 Intl-JFK-YYZ connection per year as it was home and where my grown up off-springs still live at. You will be fine unless DL 49 is really late then you will be booked onto thelater ~8pm JFK YYZ flight.

Most of the time the JFK YYZ flight leaves from the High B gates in T4 but there has been a few departures from T2. So T4 departure to YYZ is not guaranteed from T4. Check the departure board after you clear customs and usually the agent taking your re-check bags will tell you.

If you are leaving from T2, there is a Jitney shuttle from post security in T4 to T2 leaving from arond gate B18 which takes you to airside T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.