Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:37 pm

Now the wife is being told Delta doesn't have to provide anything other than a partial hotel voucher. I thought if the problem was due to their mechanical, they had an obligation to take care of the passengers. I can understand weather and traffic issues. Neither are applicable today. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by gava1
Now the wife is being told Delta doesn't have to provide anything other than a partial hotel voucher. I thought if the problem was due to their mechanical, they had an obligation to take care of the passengers. I can understand weather and traffic issues. Neither are applicable today. Any guidance would be appreciated.
What was the final outcome tonight?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:29 pm

The travel deities smiled upon us and she and the other five affected were placed on standby for flight 6041 and eventually made it to RIC. The only reason that happened is they were told an international flight was delayed and the connecting px wouldn't make that flight. I guess they got stuck at JFK for the night. It was a couple of hours later than desired, but this group got to sleep in their respective beds. None of the group were pleased with the (lack of) communication from the flight crews and gate agents. Thanks for everyone's consideration.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
BDL to JFK, Connection time to AF flight CDG

Hi - Long time lurker and usually I can find my answer or enough of one from all the informative posts, so I haven't posted. But this time I need an opinion on my specific scenario.

We usually fly out of JFK for our European trips, but surprisingly, we saved about $1500 for the two of us flying from Hartford, which is only 20 minutes from our home. I'm now getting nervous that we don't have a long enough layover at JFK to allow for any delays arriving from BDL. On the other hand, the early flight has us spending a long time at JFK, about 4 hours.

We are now booked on DL #5525 BDL to JFK, Depart 3:05 PM arrive 4:15 PM, connecting to AF#17 JFK to CDG, Depart 6:00PM. We are in J and ticketed through Delta and with seat assignments on AF. We're leaving on Wednesday 8/29.

There is an earlier flight, DL #5200, Depart 12:49 PM arrive 1:50 PM.

I've been checking the DL flights for this past week and they are pretty much on time with notable exceptions during some bad weather. So I feel OK if we have good weather, but at the end of August, there is always the chance of heavy rain, thunderstorms or worse.

Thoughts from the experts?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:22 am

You ought to be safe, but why worry. Take the earlier flight an relax (yeah right) in the BC lounge.

I always like the earlier flight as it leaves a back-up option if the flight is cancelled or delayed.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:20 am

Too many times I have seen JFK connecting passengers make mad dashes to their international connecting flights. Air France is in a different terminal at JFK. I believe they are in terminal 1 and your flight will most likely arrive in terminal 2. You will have to take the Air Train to connect to terminal 1. Even in good weather, JFK delays is a given. If I were you, I would book the earlier flight, relax and have a few drinks instead of possibly making a mad dash.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
You will be ok IF: everything is perfectly on time, or if you don't mind being rebooked on another flight. Being in J, there should be no problem of finding seats.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA *G
I'd see if I can get on the earlier flight. The AF biz lounge at JFK is very nice (right turn after security, end of concourse)

BDL flights (thanks to how short they are), are very easily delayed into JFK, and you have to switch terminals from the BDL arrival (Terminal 2) to Air France Terminal 1 at JFK.
This also involves reclearing security at T1, which at that time, is a nice size line (with no premium security observed, usually)
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
JFK Connection - Continental commuter to Delta BE, Do I have enough time?

Flight: 8715
Operated by: /COMMUTAIR DBA CONTINENTAL CONNECTION
Cleveland (CLE) Depart 3:00 pm to New York (JFK)
Arrive 5:15 pm
-------------------
DL112
New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK), 20 Sep 2007 7:10PM
Dublin, Ireland (DUB), 21 Sep 2007 7:05AM
----------------------

Do I have time? I will not be checked in for the Delta Dublin flight (unless you can now check in online), but I'm flying BE on an upgrade from M class.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Flight: 8715
Operated by: /COMMUTAIR DBA CONTINENTAL CONNECTION
Cleveland (CLE) Depart 3:00 pm to New York (JFK)
Arrive 5:15 pm
-------------------
DL112
New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK), 20 Sep 2007 7:10PM
Dublin, Ireland (DUB), 21 Sep 2007 7:05AM
----------------------

Do I have time? I will not be checked in for the Delta Dublin flight (unless you can now check in online), but I'm flying BE on an upgrade from M class.
A two hour window at JFK that late in the day could be problematic for you. Depending on weather throughout the east coast, and any ATC delays in New York and any gate congestion delays could make it a very tight connection or a you could easily miss the flight to DUB.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
It will be close. Delays from CLE to New York-area airports usually average one to 1.5 hours by mid-afternoon. If the delay is 45 minutes or less, you should have sufficient time.

Also, why wouldn't you be checked in for the Dublin flight? Even if you could not do online checkin, you would get a boarding pass for the DUB flight at the CLE ticket counter.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by CO 1E
why wouldn't you be checked in for the Dublin flight? Even if you could not do online checkin, you would get a boarding pass for the DUB flight at the CLE ticket counter.
Have been unable to do this in the past, my last leg home is always on a different ticket. In this case a different Airline. Not even sure that Delta have a desk at CLE
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Just as an example, on Thursday Aug 16th, CO 8715 arrived at JFK at 8:40PM.
There were t-storms in the area, accounting for the delay. But the delays are the norm, not the exception.

I fly from BOS to JFK frequently for connecting flights. As a rule, I always opt for the earlier flight than the "logical" one... that means some 3 to 4 hour connections if all is on schedule. But more often than not, the 3-4 hour connection shrinks to a 1-2 hour connection.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Have been unable to do this in the past, my last leg home is always on a different ticket. In this case a different Airline. Not even sure that Delta have a desk at CLE
If he has an electronic ticket, the CO agents in CLE should be able to check him in all the way, actually even if you had a paper ticket. As long as is all on the same ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.