Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
If you miss the flight because the DL flight to JFK is late and the flights are all tied together with one record locator, DL will help fix it. DL should offer a SkyTeam partner connection thru AMS or CDG to your final destination. Most likely, you will only be 1 day late.
SR
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM
If you mis-connect this would be an option:

DL 8603 OP
New York (JFK)
10:55 PM
Paris (CDG)
11:55 AM + 1 day(s)

DL 8538 OP
Paris (CDG)
01:35 PM + 1 day(s)
Lome (LFW)
06:55 PM + 1 day(s)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:31 am

Question Connection time too short?

Hello all,
I booked an award flight on delta.com from State College, PA to Venice (SCE-CVG-JFK-VCE). They were out of Skysaver tickets so I had to pay 100,000. I noticed that on my return leg connection time in JFK is 75 minutes. I called Delta and they told me that JFK international-to-domestic connection time is 105 minutes. If I miss my JFK-CVG flight they can put me on the next flight but that would give me only 20 minutes to make a connection in CVG to a last flight to SCE for the day. So chances are, I may get stranded in JFK or CVG overnight. A Delta customer service representative tried to find another itinerary but couldn't find any other flights with Skymiles seats available. She also said that if I miss my JFK-CVG flight it will "most probably" be considered a Delta error (because they booked me with to short connection time in JFK) and that they will have to pay for accommodations if I get stranded overnight but that decision will be on "airport authorities". Has anyone ever been in a situation like that? What are your experiences? How can I convince "the airport authority" that Delta should pay for my accommodations if I get stranded.
BTW, this is not urgent, my flight back is in July.
Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Chances are you won't get stranded if everything's on time, but your bags may not make it.

Have you at all considered driving to NYC instead? It should take you about the same amount of time, with less worries about bags, and you may still find skysaver avaliable?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:19 pm

Thanks for you suggestions!
I'll take my chances. I've considered driving to NYC, PHL or IAD but unfortunately there were no Skysaver tickets available from there either. I still check occasionally but since it's peak season I don't think it anything will show up.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Did you call the partners desk when you were booking the award?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:16 pm

Yes, I did. Unfortunately nothing came up. Seems that trans-Atlantic flights are pretty much booked up on (and around) the dates I plan to travel.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: QF FF, Miles and More; SPG.
connection times

I have an international flight coming into JFK at 3pm. I want to connect to a Delta flight leaving for Boston at 5pm. Do you think this is enough time to get through customs etc and get across to my connecting flight?

Last edited by larrylaffer; Jan 27, 2007 at 6:33 am
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Usually, yes.

But if you book this as one single ticket, not two, DL actually has to reaccomodate you in the not so likely case that you would misconnect - so nothing to really worry about.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Are you traveling with a US passport? Is your international flight on Delta or another airline.

The answers to the questions above will have a dramatic effect on your connect times.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If the flight arrives into T2/T3, 2 hours should be enough, but no time for relaxing. If it's another terminal, it's more than likely that it will not be enough time - however, DL will accommodate you, and there are about 12 daily JFK-BOS flights (hourly in the evenings I think), so it's not too much wait.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:46 am

And of course another key component is whether you have checked luggage or carry-on. You can really move up in the lines if you don't have to wait for your luggage.

Rita
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:51 am

OK.

I have checked luggage.
I have an international passport.
I am coming in on a non-delta flight.

I cannot seem to find departures at around 6-7pm from JFK which would give me plenty of time. I do not fancy trekking across town to LGA (as I hear this is a nightmare especially after a 20 hour flight) and would like to get into Boston for a decent nights sleep. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:16 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by larrylaffer
OK.

I have checked luggage.
I have an international passport.
I am coming in on a non-delta flight.

I cannot seem to find departures at around 6-7pm from JFK which would give me plenty of time. I do not fancy trekking across town to LGA (as I hear this is a nightmare especially after a 20 hour flight) and would like to get into Boston for a decent nights sleep. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Depending on what day you are arriving into JFK, there are some later evening flights.

DL5518 JFK-BOS 1800-1935 Daily
DL5520 JFK-BOS 1920-2057 Daily

Of course Delta may change the schedule between now and your trip, but they should have at least a few evening departures.

If you don't need Delta, there are also some B6 flights.

B61016 JFK-BOS 1845-2020 Daily
B61018 JFK-BOS 2015-2135 X6

A good tool for schedules for DL/SkyTeam www.skyteam.com, or www.expertflyer.com if you have a subscription. They are also offering a 5 day trial at the moment.

Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:55 am

Thanks for the info. Will give it a go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.