Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Select
Almost all of my flights JFK - AMS since October have been from Terminal 3, gate 10, which is a bit of a hike (5-10 minute walk...indoors) from Terminal 2. I typically fly on Friday or Saturday, so perhaps it is different on a Tuesday.

No chance of a meal, unless you bring it yourself and want to eat on the sidewalk. There is no "main terminal" at Terminals 2 or 3, all food service is after security. Basically, they would have to leave the terminal, walk through the busy roads of JFK to find you, then walk back up to Terminal 3 International to pass through security, which typically is not too bad, I'm usually through in 10-15 minutes from the elite check-in or if you are not going through the normal check-in line, which they should be able to avoid.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
DL terminal at JFK is weird because it was designed pre-security.. your plan does not sound promising. I would not suggest your friend goes outside of security, and you won't get in unless you buy a fully refundable ticket (A DL Connection flight to BOS or something).
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
DL terminal at JFK is weird because it was designed pre-security.. your plan does not sound promising. I would not suggest your friend goes outside of security, and you won't get in unless you buy a fully refundable ticket (A DL Connection flight to BOS or something).
This is the thing to do. There's no "outside security" at DL JFK.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 7:55 am

Thanks for all your help.
I guess I will skip trying to see them, it's not worth the hassle.
I don't know for sure that the AMS flight leaves from T2. The day I originally started this thread I checked and it was scheduled to leave from there so I just assumed that it usually did.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
JFK Connection Time Int. -> Dom.?

A quick question for those of you who come back into the USA through JFK. We are looking at some flights, and Delta has a 1 hour 35 minute connection from International (AMS) to Domestic (MCO). Is that sufficient, or would it be better to book a later connection?

I have not been through JFK in ages, and the last discussion on this topic was Sept. 2005.

Thanks!

Joel
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Silver, SPG Platinum, WN Nobody, Budget Fastbreak, Hertz #1 Gold
If your MCO flight is on Song (before it goes away), 1:35 could be tight.

I have just recently completed a BCN-JFK-MCO flight, with a 1:25 connection time at JFK. I was able to make my flight, but it was by no means a pleasurable experience.

Clearing Customs is quick, but expect delays as you wait for any luggage, wait to pass through one of the 2 TSA lanes and wait again to drop any luggage at the conveyor.

The Song gates are in terminal 2 and it was quite a long run from terminal 3.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
95 minute connect time TXL-JFK-PBI too short???

I have seen my TXL-JFK-PBI connect time get shorter and shorter over the last few months. Has anyone flew this itenary or one similar enought to comment on if 90 or so minutes is enough time for an international connection to clear customs and make the next flight.

If so is this good or cutting it really short. What pitfalls should I be ready for at JFK?

Please if you are just looking it up at the Delta web site, do not post. I am looking for actual JFK international arrival experience. The web site only goes by ideal conditions and JFK is less than ideal quite a few times.

They probably would let me switch to the next flight but, that would add 3.5 hours to my itenary. But, I would rather wait the 3.5 hours if the 90 minutes is a long shot.

Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Has anyone flew this itenary or one similar enought to comment on if 90 or so minutes is enough time for an international connection to clear customs and make the next flight.

If so is this good or cutting it really short. What pitfalls should I be ready for at JFK?
Back in January we did an 80 minutes connection AMS-JFK-IAD which both we and our bags made. It was pretty uncomfortable, however, as one of our bags was in the second batch coming in delaying us somewhat before we could get through customs and to bag-recheck, but we were able to make it to the departure-gate with still some time (5 minutes or so) to spare (we had to actually run there, however).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
I've taken several TXL-JFK flights this year and was always outside the terminal with luggage in less then 60 mins. As you go through the even faster US citizen immigration line you should have no problem making it. Also, you're checked in for you connecting flight already and only have to reach the gate with 5 mins to the schedules departure time. Don't worry!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Agree with BERFlyer that you shouldn't worry if your TXL-JFK flight arrives relatively on time. The US citizens line is usually pretty quick and DL 79's 3pm arrival time is one of the earlier ones of the 3-4pm European arrivals bank. I've flown TXL-JFK quite a few times as well and I have gotten through immigration in 5-10 minutes. I usually don't have checked bags but the one time I did (about 3 weeks ago), it took about 20-25 minutes. The bag-recheck area is just outside customs and access to the connecting gates (through TSA security) is literally right next to the bag recheck area. I wouldn't worry unless your arriving flight is delayed by more than 40-45 minutes.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
I would do it and as for food vouchers when I miss my connection! My ATH-JFK flight left 20 mins late and arrived on-time but, we were 20 mins late to the gate. The bags took FOREVER and there were people exclaiming, "And, there goes my flight to LA" etc. etc. etc. Customs and Immigration wasn't bad but, if the bags are slow and you have to schlep to the other terminal thru security again during a peak time . . . take your time and catch the next flight.
SR
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Question Help FLight to JFK always Late for Connection

I am part of a group of 6 flying on 11/24 RIC-JFK DL#5244 2:42pm-3:59pm, we are connecting to a Royal Air Maroc flight to Casablanca then to Lome, Togo in West Africa. Flight #5244 has been late 100% the last two weeks and 50% of the time we would not have made the connection.

Since Royal Air Maroc only has flights to Lome 3 days a week, if we don't make the connection we don't get to Lome til Monday night instead of Saturday.

My question is should I ask DL to move us up to #5013 @ 10:35am? Will they do that for me? If not will they reroute us to AF to Paris then Lome if we miss our connection? AF if the only other airline to serve Lome from the US on 11/24.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:11 am

You can usually same-day confirm onto an earlier flight for $25, except DL doesn't allow that for part of an international itinerary. However, I'm not sure if that applies to non-DL international flights.

The 10:35 am has to have open seats. Right now it is only showing 7 additional seats for sale, which is not much for 8 days out.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
The flights above are DL codeshare with Royal Air Maroc. They are all one record, if that helps.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM
You probably will not get anywhere on the phone trying to get a free change, however I would suggest explaining the situation and trying. Worst case they say cannot be done. The 10:35am DL flight right now has 7 seats left in coach, assuming they don't sell, I'm sure you can convince an agent at RIC to put you on that flight. You can also pony up and pay the change fee. Not pleasant, but an option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.