Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TimPWM
I have a flight coming up in October. DL 5075, PWM- JFK, connecting with DL 5996 (VS) JFK-LHR. Currently a 50 minute connection time. 5075 most of the time lands at Term 2 and 5996 leaves from Term 4. I have called Delta twice - the first rep told me to wait a few months and the schedule might change, the second time I was told there was nothing they could do as VS had sold it that way and it's married. I am a little concerned if I have to change terminals given the short connection. There is a PWM - JFK flight late afternoon the day before but they wouldn't allow that change. The tckt is Delta issued . I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions - Thank-you
50 is MCT for DL to DL (goes by marketing, not operating carrier) D-I connections.

Has there been a schedule change?? Is connection still at least 50 minutes? Unless something has changed they're under no obligation to rebook what you originally agreed to pay for, to something else.

VS had nothing to do with this sale, since you bought as a DL codeshare instead.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to get from T2 over to the Virgin gate (typically concourse A of T4 but sometimes B.) Frankly it’s probably faster from T2 than if you landed at the regional gates at the far end of T4B.

And assuming you’re not on the last flight of the night to LHR (11pm I believe), there are flights hourly and they’ll put you on the next one if you misconnect.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the reply flyerCO, no there has not been a schedule change but it never hurts to ask..

Thank-you as well ijgordon - this is actually the VS daytime flight to LHR at 8:15 Am , so there are plenty of flights in the PM if needed.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Hello
Arriving mid afternoon and have 2hr45 to clear immigration, customs and head to my domestic flight.

Is there lounge time available with this connection? Or cutting it close. Never transmitted JFK before.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:18 am

Hello
Arriving mid afternoon and have 2hr45 to clear immigration, customs and head to my domestic flight.

Is there lounge time available with this connection? Or cutting it close. Never transmitted JFK before.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by marconess
Hello

Plenty of time. Only concern is if non-US/CANADIAN citizen. Even then shouldn't be issue.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Plenty of time. Only concern is if non-US/CANADIAN citizen. Even then shouldn't be issue.
UK Citizen unfortunately.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by marconess
UK Citizen unfortunately.
Have you visited before on current ESTA? If so should'nt be an issue.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have you visited before on current ESTA? If so should'nt be an issue.
Ah, perfect. Yes I have.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just an update from the CBP and TSA situation at JFK T4. Arrived a week ago at 11:00 am and it was a madhouse on the non-US lines. Maybe it was due to peak summer travel season, but I don't recall seeing T4 CBP this full in years. TSA was also full on the standard line, PRE line had a decent amount of people. Under these circumstances, 2h30m would have been very tight.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
Not til Nov 30,
CVG-JFK-FCO with 49 mi connection time. Interestingly, CVG-JFK scheduled for longer now, but then is 20 min faster in NOV. Usually arrives at T4 and not too far from JFK to FCO flight. No much cushion and not a legal connection if lands a C gates, as it did today. Any thoughts on calling to be put on later flight from JFK to FCO, or just wait for the inevitable schedule changes.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLX5
Not til Nov 30,
CVG-JFK-FCO with 49 mi connection time. Interestingly, CVG-JFK scheduled for longer now, but then is 20 min faster in NOV. Usually arrives at T4 and not too far from JFK to FCO flight. No much cushion and not a legal connection if lands a C gates, as it did today. Any thoughts on calling to be put on later flight from JFK to FCO, or just wait for the inevitable schedule changes.
If you originally booked it with a longer connection, I would definitely call in and explain you are not comfortable with the shorter connection caused by a Delta schedule change. Have what you want in mind: either earlier CVG-JFK or later JFK-FCO.

If this is a new booking that was made with a 49 minute connection, not much the agents can do since it was booked that way, and thus would have to wait for the inevitable schedule changes. (Though I think most of November was adjusted last weekend).
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's only a single daily CVG-JFK flight, so getting to JFK earlier would require a connection. There are 2x DL flights on JFK-FCO on the 30th, so switching to later FCO flight would be option (DL152). Or just hope for best and if you miss first JFK-FCO flight, they will likely just put you on later one anyway (there's also a later ITA flight). DL is selling the 49 minute connection, so system seems to think it is legal.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 28, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by TimPWM
Thanks for the reply flyerCO, no there has not been a schedule change but it never hurts to ask..

Thank-you as well ijgordon - this is actually the VS daytime flight to LHR at 8:15 Am , so there are plenty of flights in the PM if needed.
I am looking at a similar situation for next spring. I want to fly IAD-JFK-LHR on the VS morning flight and then LHR-IAD on the VS nonstop, both in PE. In March (standard time) it's a comfortable 1:49 connection. But in April (savings time) the VS flight leaves an hour earlier to land at the same London time so it's an uncomfortable 49 minute connection, which I didn't think was legal D-I. Sitting around JFK waiting for an evening PE flight is not going to be fun, nor will I enjoy it if I get downgraded from a PE aisle to a C+ window.

I can't get the website to give me an overnight connection at JFK. Is there not a 24 hour max connection time at JFK for D-I? It'll be annoying enough to pay for a hotel near JFK overnight as it is, much less having to shell out $149 for the IAD-JFK leg.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
MCT for D-I DL->VS at JFK is 45 minutes, so 49 minutes is (barely) legal. You're right that the max connect time is 24 hours, but the website usually assumes people don't want to connect overnight if they don't have to. You'll have to call DL and the agent can price the connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.