Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If a connection gets there quicker, they'll happily book you on it. Waiting for next nonstop isn't always the quickest option.
That's good to know. Thanks. So it turned out to be a non issue. When I actually looked at the flights about 12 hrs later, the nonstop had come down in price and the connection via JFK had gone up, so it was an easy decision to just book the nonstop as it was now less expensive than the connection... Thanks again for all the help!
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
IIRC, you'll exit CBP close to the SkyTrain. If the weather is decent or if you want some some fresh air, take the SkyTrain to Terminal 2 (only one stop - make sure you get on the right one). When you get off at Terminal 2, there will be a short walk outside to get to cross a street. When I did this a week ago, there was no line for precheck at T2, and we went straight through.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

Looking at doing Tampa to Tel Aviv on Delta with a JFK layover in June 2022. It's a true Delta-to-Delta connection between 10:46 PM and 11:50 PM (one hour, four minutes). Feels tight and I'm presuming Plan B options at that time of night would be limited or nonexistent, so there's risk. Two of us flying domestic First/Delta One with two checked bags each. With no issues, its the fastest Delta/Sky Team option between Tampa and Tel Aviv. The "safer" option is a double connection in Atlanta and Paris with comfortable connection times at both hubs, but it adds three hours over the one-stop JFK connection. Thoughts?

Last edited by tampaFL42; Jan 23, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
64 minutes is enough time if your inbound is ontime, but you are right to be concerned about what happens if you miss the flight. It looks like the first backup option would be a VS connection leaving JFK at 8 AM the next day going through LHR. For that reason, I'd take the double connection through ATL & CDG.

Also note there will likely be schedule changes between now and June, so there's a good chance your options will change anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tampaFL42
Looking at doing Tampa to Tel Aviv on Delta with a JFK layover in June 2022. It's a true Delta-to-Delta connection between 10:46 PM and 11:50 PM (one hour, four minutes). Feels tight and I'm presuming Plan B options at that time of night would be limited or nonexistent, so there's risk. Two of us flying domestic First/Delta One with two checked bags each. With no issues, its the fastest Delta/Sky Team option between Tampa and Tel Aviv. The "safer" option is a double connection in Atlanta and Paris with comfortable connection times at both hubs, but it adds three hours over the one-stop JFK connection. Thoughts?
How about just taking an earlier ATL-JFK flight to have a safer, single-connection itinerary, with the opportunity for a full night's sleep on the long JFK-TLV segment? Heck, I'd even consider a much earlier ATL-LGA flight, as Delta pays for the LGA-JFK transfer on trans-Atllantic itineraries.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Have a question about an itinerary I plan on booking. I'm looking at doing JAX-JFK landing at 3:10PM connecting to an AF flight at 5:30 on separate reservations because it's half the price in J to do that. Is that gonna be enough time when I could potentially be coming from the bowels of T4 on an E175, then taking the AirTrain, then checking in for the AF flight, then reclearing TSA. Never flown out of T1 at JFK so don't really know how to gauge it.
Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Have a question about an itinerary I plan on booking. I'm looking at doing JAX-JFK landing at 3:10PM connecting to an AF flight at 5:30 on separate reservations because it's half the price in J to do that. Is that gonna be enough time when I could potentially be coming from the bowels of T4 on an E175, then taking the AirTrain, then checking in for the AF flight, then reclearing TSA. Never flown out of T1 at JFK so don't really know how to gauge it.
Thanks!
Will you be checking any bags?

What would be the consequences for you -- financially and otherwise -- if you were to miss the AF flight? Does DL protect on separate DL ==> SkyTeam tickets?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by guv1976
Will you be checking any bags?

What would be the consequences for you -- financially and otherwise -- if you were to miss the AF flight? Does DL protect on separate DL ==> SkyTeam tickets?
Won't be checking bags. Not sure if that'd be protected or not.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:07 am

Now that I look at it I could also take a B6 flight landing at 2:00 if the DL flight might be pushing it.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Won't be checking bags. Not sure if that'd be protected or not.
Without checked bags, if your JAX-JFK flight arrives on time, you should have no problem getting to T1 before 4:00 pm. (Probably more like 3:45 pm.) The "All Terminals" AirTrain (make sure that you get on that one, not a "Howard Beach" or "Jamaica" train) should take all of five minutes from T4 to T1.

But if your DL flight is cancelled or substantially delayed, you could be in for some serious financial pain if DL does not protect on separate tickets.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:29 pm

Thinking about a roundtrip from RDU-FCO at the end of September 2022 to middle of October. Would prefer Comfort Plus but not offered on some flights. Plus some flights are through partners which means I can't do seat selection. I would prefer to fly Delta metal.

I found some flights that go through JFK with a 1 hr 12 min connection. Is that doable? I see some flights with a connection in BOS which I've never flown in to. Coming back is OK because we'd prefer a longer layover to get through immigration and customs. (We have Global Entry and PreCheck). Also ATL might be an option. I'm still checking flights.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thinking about a roundtrip from RDU-FCO at the end of September 2022 to middle of October. Would prefer Comfort Plus but not offered on some flights. Plus some flights are through partners which means I can't do seat selection. I would prefer to fly Delta metal.

I found some flights that go through JFK with a 1 hr 12 min connection. Is that doable? I see some flights with a connection in BOS which I've never flown in to. Coming back is OK because we'd prefer a longer layover to get through immigration and customs. (We have Global Entry and PreCheck). Also ATL might be an option. I'm still checking flights.
As long as the RDU-JFK flight departs on time, it should be good. Worst case scenario, they will wait for a few minute if there are connecting passengers delayed.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
As long as the RDU-JFK flight departs on time, it should be good. Worst case scenario, they will wait for a few minute if there are connecting passengers delayed.
Thanks! It does look like seat selection for ITA is possible in business but not coach.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Assuming ITA continues to use T1 as Alitalia did, I'm surprised they're selling a 1:12 connection as I thought the D-I MCT when changing T4-T1 is 1:15.

Granted 3 minutes isn't a huge difference and it's probably doable if the inbound is on time but factoring in potential long walk to the T4 exit, AirTrain, and clearing security again at T1... I would check and see what later options exist in case you misconnect.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:32 pm

Arriving JFK on DL49 from AMS on a Saturday. Schedule just changed to cut down my connection time to 90 minutes. Connecting to DL2209 to MCO

Have global entry and checking bags.

Any thoughts assuming inbound on time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.