Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoleATL
2 week trip so checking bags and no GE. Would Delta One help at all?
D1 will help being off the plane quickly and theoretically your bags should be out quickly as SkyPriority. It's definitely doable but you'll just need to move and make sure you are at the front of the line and not stuck behind everyone else on your flight.

I have to admit my ignorance for coming in without GE but I believe Mobile Passport Control is available at JFK and would also help make things more efficient.

Basically if you are at the front of the CBP queue it should be doable though tight (and worst case scenario your bags don't make it) but if you are stuck at the back of a slow moving CBP queue you could be in trouble
flyerCO and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
If you get stuck behind a couple of flights from Africa it will be tough. I have waited two hours in the immigration line at JFK before GE. So I would say possible, but by no means guaranteed.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drminn
If you get stuck behind a couple of flights from Africa it will be tough. I have waited two hours in the immigration line at JFK before GE. So I would say possible, but by no means guaranteed.
530pm arrival is right now a fairly slow time at T4 for international arrivals. I land from ATH at 530-545 and there was no other arrivals in hall.
SDQBound and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
D1 would definitely help getting off the flight faster.
You also have to clear TSA. Pre closes at 8:30 PM at JFK so the best you can do is Pre Light in the regular screening. If you don't have Clear, many of us can send you a free trial to set up on your departure from ATL.
1 hour to LGA is not going to work as an option.
Are you on a KL codeshare from AMS? If so, why not try to have DL switch you to AMS-ATL?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
With the caveat that I haven't done it in the covid era, I'd go for it. I do have GE, but s/o does not. Still, with her Mobile Passport I'd risk it.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I don't have GE, but use the Mobile Passport app all the time. It makes clearing immigration quick, and if you are in D1 there are fewer people ahead of you.

If only Mobile Passport was available here at DTW!
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by stargold
Thanks so much both cmd320 and flyerCO, very helpful.

So it looks like I should be able to do everything without going back to the departure hall. As it's a Friday afternoon, It would be nice to be able to avoid the weekend rush on the main departures.
Just to close the loop on this (to recap, it was arriving on EK at 1420 and connecting to DL at 1647, bags not tagged through):

Despite weeks of on-time departure from DXB for this flight, a chiller fault on the EK A380 meant that my flight left 1h30m late, which almost made me consider rebooking the DL segment to the one departing 5 hours later. However, I held my nerve and hoped that we made up some time on the way.

We did, but not really enough - I disembarked at 15:20, leaving just 1h27 till the 1-hour baggage cutoff. Fortunately, I cleared GE in less than a minute (I was shocked to not even have to scan my passport!), and the bags arrived mercifully early, so I was at the re-check counter by 15:35, finding only a few people in front at the queue.

I successfully checked my bag, discovered that the flight was now leaving from T2, so I went over to T2 on the SkyTrain where there wasn't anyone at the PreCheck queue. Even had time for a drink at the bar before boarding my flight!

In summary, even though my flight from DXB arrived just 1h30m before my DL departure, it all went smoothly in the end. Might have been a different story without GE and / or if the bag arrived late, though.
cmd320 and DCAhome like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Glad it worked out! GE is definitely a lifesaver at times.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I've been arriving between 5:30 - 6:00 pm and CBP is always empty or with very little passengers. TSA, on the other hand, is a bit busy but not as pre-covid. CLEAR gets me through really quick.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
D1 would definitely help getting off the flight faster.
You also have to clear TSA. Pre closes at 8:30 PM at JFK so the best you can do is Pre Light in the regular screening. If you don't have Clear, many of us can send you a free trial to set up on your departure from ATL.
1 hour to LGA is not going to work as an option.
Are you on a KL codeshare from AMS? If so, why not try to have DL switch you to AMS-ATL?
Not sure if the reply was to me, but... Sounds promising for us. We have Clear, Pre and Mobile Pass. Atlanta dropped Mobile Pass after making it worse than the regular line so kind of forgot about it. We land at 5:30 if on time so if we can't make the 8:30 closing for Pre, we're hosed anyway we look at it.

We're on DL marketed/metal. When we booked we wanted to avoid international connections because we had no idea what Covid requirements would be in place. My question to DL is, why would you have the great new flight from Dubrovnik to JFK and make it difficult to connect to Atlanta of all places? Originally we had a 2.5 hour connection and then there was a schedule change. Thanks for your response...

Last edited by NoleATL; Aug 13, 2021 at 3:22 pm Reason: More clarity
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I don't have GE, but use the Mobile Passport app all the time. It makes clearing immigration quick, and if you are in D1 there are fewer people ahead of you.

If only Mobile Passport was available here at DTW!
Thank you for responding! I totally forgot about Mobile Passport which we have but stopped using because ATL dropped it... after making it worse than the regular line. I looked and still have the app...
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:18 am

RDU - JFK - AMS. Tues early Sept Arrive from RDU to T2 at 6:15pm Depart from T4 at 7:20pm. Can we make it? On row 6 of incoming flight.

There’s a much earlier RDU - JFK that day but really don’t want a 5 hr layover.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishingcarlos
RDU - JFK - AMS. Tues early Sept Arrive from RDU to T2 at 6:15pm Depart from T4 at 7:20pm. Can we make it? On row 6 of incoming flight.

There’s a much earlier RDU - JFK that day but really don’t want a 5 hr layover.
Yes as long as there isn't any weather delay. Given the recent weather in the RDU area (I live here), I would keep an eye on weather on the day of and if things are looking dicey just do a same day change to the earlier flight to avoid missing the connection.

But if everything arrives/departs on time you should be fine.

RDU - JFK (when on a regional) usually arrives into the B46 - B54 area and JFK - AMS is usually in the B20 - B38 area so you'll have a bit of a walk and minimal time to grab food / drinks but it's easily doable. I've done a connection of this length on international ex-RDU many times before without issue (again as long as there are no weather hiccups).
fishingcarlos likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
RDU - JFK (when on a regional) usually arrives into the B46 - B54 area and JFK - AMS is usually in the B20 - B38 area so you'll have a bit of a walk and minimal time to grab food / drinks but it's easily doable. I've done a connection of this length on international ex-RDU many times before without issue (again as long as there are no weather hiccups).
Thanks for this. Have you flown this route since T2 reopened? I’ve read conflicting reports to which terminal DL5634 (from RDU) arrives. If to T2, then we take jitney to T4. Weather permitting, would an hour between arrival and departure be enough if T2 to T4?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven’t flown it since T2 re-opened but honestly in the last 3 years, I’ve never had an RDU - JFK flight go into T2. They always have gone into the last 10 gates in T4.

That said, it’s still doable with T2 though just definitely need to hustle to the JITNEY and make sure to check your departure gate to see if it makes more sense to go to the Gate 54 drop off or the Gate 20 drop off
fishingcarlos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.