Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:05 am

I am flying JL F class with a scheduled arrival into JFK of 10 AM on January 20, I'm looking to book Delta F to Austin on a non stop flight departing at 1:10pm. Is this possible or will it be to tight?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by diverg
I am flying JL F class with a scheduled arrival into JFK of 10 AM on January 20, I'm looking to book Delta F to Austin on a non stop flight departing at 1:10pm. Is this possible or will it be to tight?
It is possible, but not without risk. Assuming you're not through ticketed, if you miss your DL flight for any reason they are under no obligation to rebook you, though probably they would. Here are your potential delay points:
  1. Inbound flight is canceled or late. Not much you can do to control for this.
  2. Immigration. According to CBP, JFK T1 had a maximum wait time of 47 minutes for non-citizens in the 10am hour yesterday. Different days have longer maximums, and US/Canadian/GE/Return ESTA will all be faster, but this gives an approximate upper bound.
  3. Baggage claim. If checking bags, the longest I've ever waited at T1 was an hour from an AF A380, I have to imagine JL F would be faster. Regardless, this and immigration are not additive... if you take an hour to clear immigration, your bags will probably be waiting for you.
  4. Transfer to DL. You can basically walk (outdoors) to T2 if your flight leaves from there, or take the AirTrain to T4. The AirTrain at T1 is a bit annoying to get to (all the way upstairs), so I'd allow 10-15 min for this transfer.
  5. Bag Drop at DL. I'm assuming you'll already have your DL BP or can easily get one from your phone or the kiosk. If you need to drop bags, there is a SkyPriority line at the far right of the terminal, which is usually pretty quick. I'm also assuming the summer chaos will be over by January. (T4 this summer is a madhouse.) There is also a DL bag drop at T1 to service AF connections, but I don't know if any AF flights get in that early, so I don't know if the counter would be open yet.
  6. Clearing Security. The longest I've ever taken with Pre-√ is about 10 minutes. Without, you'd still have access to the priority line, which is 20 minutes at worst. 11am is not a peak time, so you'll probably do better than that.
  7. Getting to the Gate. Depending on where you fly out of, walking (or walk+bus) takes about 5 to 20 minutes.
So 3:10 is enough if you're comfortable with airports, and navigating rebooking on the off chance you do misconnect for some reason. I would not recommend this for beginners, though.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
It is possible, but not without risk. Assuming you're not through ticketed, if you miss your DL flight for any reason they are under no obligation to rebook you, though probably they would. Here are your potential delay points:
  1. Inbound flight is canceled or late. Not much you can do to control for this.
  2. Immigration. According to CBP, JFK T1 had a maximum wait time of 47 minutes for non-citizens in the 10am hour yesterday. Different days have longer maximums, and US/Canadian/GE/Return ESTA will all be faster, but this gives an approximate upper bound.
  3. Baggage claim. If checking bags, the longest I've ever waited at T1 was an hour from an AF A380, I have to imagine JL F would be faster. Regardless, this and immigration are not additive... if you take an hour to clear immigration, your bags will probably be waiting for you.
  4. Transfer to DL. You can basically walk (outdoors) to T2 if your flight leaves from there, or take the AirTrain to T4. The AirTrain at T1 is a bit annoying to get to (all the way upstairs), so I'd allow 10-15 min for this transfer.
  5. Bag Drop at DL. I'm assuming you'll already have your DL BP or can easily get one from your phone or the kiosk. If you need to drop bags, there is a SkyPriority line at the far right of the terminal, which is usually pretty quick. I'm also assuming the summer chaos will be over by January. (T4 this summer is a madhouse.) There is also a DL bag drop at T1 to service AF connections, but I don't know if any AF flights get in that early, so I don't know if the counter would be open yet.
  6. Clearing Security. The longest I've ever taken with Pre-√ is about 10 minutes. Without, you'd still have access to the priority line, which is 20 minutes at worst. 11am is not a peak time, so you'll probably do better than that.
  7. Getting to the Gate. Depending on where you fly out of, walking (or walk+bus) takes about 5 to 20 minutes.
So 3:10 is enough if you're comfortable with airports, and navigating rebooking on the off chance you do misconnect for some reason. I would not recommend this for beginners, though.
Thank you for your long thought out post. I ended up changing flights and airports. Am now flying Etihad F final leg of AUH-IAD-AUS on one ticket with AA miles.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Booked BOG-JFK-LAX. Single PNR. No checked bags.

BOG-JFK arrives 7:10 AM on a Sunday
JFK-LAX departs at 9:00 AM

Is 1:50 too short? There's an 8:45 AM departure (for $30 more) but I'd rather just get on with the trip and not wait around JFK, especially since the showers are closed in the Skyclub. Realize this is above the MCT but would appreciate any recent experience.

Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Booked BOG-JFK-LAX. Single PNR. No checked bags.

BOG-JFK arrives 7:10 AM on a Sunday
JFK-LAX departs at 9:00 AM

Is 1:50 too short? There's an 8:45 AM departure (for $30 more) but I'd rather just get on with the trip and not wait around JFK, especially since the showers are closed in the Skyclub. Realize this is above the MCT but would appreciate any recent experience.

Thank you!
With Global Entry it shouldn't be a problem at all. Without you should still be fine, 7:10am is quite a few hours before any meaningful amount of international arrivals land at JFK, with no checked bags all you need to do is show your passport and be on your way.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
This has probably been answered before but I'm frankly just too lazy to search lol - sorry about that

Might have to change a BOS-LHR direct on VS to BOS-JFK-LHR (DL -> VS) in early Sept depending on what VS does with their schedules.. I've managed to avoid connecting in JFK before - I know the BOS-JFK flight could arrive in either T2 or 4 and VS leaves from T4. Would a 50-55min connection be sufficient if there is indeed a T2 -> 4 xfer? No way to take an earlier flight as we'd be connecting on to the daytime VS flight from the 0600 BOS - JFK departure. I have TSA pre-check but my girlfriend does not (at this time - working on that though haha)
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
This has probably been answered before but I'm frankly just too lazy to search lol - sorry about that

Might have to change a BOS-LHR direct on VS to BOS-JFK-LHR (DL -> VS) in early Sept depending on what VS does with their schedules.. I've managed to avoid connecting in JFK before - I know the BOS-JFK flight could arrive in either T2 or 4 and VS leaves from T4. Would a 50-55min connection be sufficient if there is indeed a T2 -> 4 xfer? No way to take an earlier flight as we'd be connecting on to the daytime VS flight from the 0600 BOS - JFK departure. I have TSA pre-check but my girlfriend does not (at this time - working on that though haha)
No issue. There's airside bus between T2 and T4. Also likely you'll land at T4 on a regional jet. The far end of T4 B gates is only designed for RJs.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No issue. There's airside bus between T2 and T4. Also likely you'll land at T4 on a regional jet. The far end of T4 B gates is only designed for RJs.
Amazing - thank you so much! Obviously I've avoided JFK so this is great to know
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:24 am

Is 1.5 hours to clear customs and connect in JFK?

I didn't pay much attention to a schedule change a while back and it seems our return flight from Dubrovnik via JFK to ATL gives us 1.5 hours in JFK. Is that enough time?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:27 am

I hope so because it appears that JFKATL flight is the last of the day.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Do you have GE? Are you checking bags?

If no GE and checking bags that will be tight. Doable, but tight since you’ll have to wait for bags on carousel and re-check.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Do you have GE? Are you checking bags?

If no GE and checking bags that will be tight. Doable, but tight
2 week trip so checking bags and no GE. Would Delta One help at all?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Should easily be ok if a US citizen. If not it should still be ok, just not as guaranteed. If you have GE, it's 100% doable.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Should easily be ok if a US citizen. If not it should still be ok, just not as guaranteed. If you have GE, it's 100% doable.
One time I missed the last JFK-DCA flight after a TATL from Europe. Delta put me on LGA-DCA and paid for a car service to drive me over there. So check to see if there are any later LGA-ATL flights you might be able to use as back-up.

But if your TATL flight is on-time, it's enough time.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
One time I missed the last JFK-DCA flight after a TATL from Europe. Delta put me on LGA-DCA and paid for a car service to drive me over there. So check to see if there are any later LGA-ATL flights you might be able to use as back-up.

But if your TATL flight is on-time, it's enough time.
There's normally a flight one hour later from LGA. You can even use self rebooking tool to move to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.