Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
70 minutes is plenty and honestly not worth worrying about until a couple of days before the flight at most, once you can see an accurate forecast.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
All on Delta metal: SEA-JFK (red eye) = LHR daytime flight on a Sunday morning. Is a 57 minute connect doable?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by lalala
All on Delta metal: SEA-JFK (red eye) = LHR daytime flight on a Sunday morning. Is a 57 minute connect doable?
A colleague of mine has just some this routing and he had no trouble making the connection. He said it was pretty much gate to gate though.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
A colleague of mine has just some this routing and he had no trouble making the connection. He said it was pretty much gate to gate though.
Great. I could fly AA and get lounge access, blah, blah, but this gets me in 3 hours earlier and is 400 dollars cheaper.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by lalala
I believe the LHR daytime flight is VS metal. Assuming this is still the case, you'll have to get from wherever the SEA flight arrives into (either T2 or mid T4 B pier, most likely) to the T4 A pier, which is where the VS flight leaves from. Doable in 57 minutes, but the VS flight will most likely already be boarding by the time you get to it.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:25 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Just as a follow up: I wound up flying DL to JFK and then AF to CDG. T2 to T1 transfer. I walked out of T2 and over to T1, which was easy (maybe 5 mins once I got my bearings). Security could have been a real problem at T1, though, as the regular TSA line was easily 30 mins long at 2p on a Sat. I do have pre-check, which worked on my domestic US flight, but Delta's boarding pass for JFK-CDG did not have pre-check on it. I re-checked-in with AF in JFK and got a boarding pass that did have pre-check on it. Turns out this is a known limitation.

So, lesson learned:
  • Make sure both DL and AF have your known traveler number.
  • Check-in again with AF at JFK to get a pre-check boarding pass.

FWIW, this was an AF ticket.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: VA- Platinum
VS have booked me on the following:

MAN-JFK VS127 Lands 4:40PM T4

JFK-LAX DL447 Departs 6:05PM T2

Is an 85 min connection even remotely do-able? Also, I'm on an Australian passport.

My Travel Agent is saying VS are refusing to change to a later flight without a fee as VS are saying the mct is 85 mins, exactly what I have, its an evening arrival with only one later flight so I don't want to be stuck overnight in JFK, I'll miss a hotel booking in LA with no refund.

I saw page 1 of this thread showing mct of 105 mins and a VS rep also told me this but couldn't change it as its a TA booking.

Is there anywhere definitive showing the MCT in JFK.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by freebo
Yes. Expertflyer. I checked Expertflyer and it confirms that the minimum connection time for a VS->DL International to Domestic connection is 85 minutes. (Note the wiki above is correct in that generically, the minimum I-D connection time is 1 hour 45 minutes at JFK. But VS and DL published an explicit exception that covers your particular case.) So unfortunately, VS is correct in denying you the free change.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Dupe.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

Is an 85 min connection even remotely do-able? Also, I'm on an Australian passport.

My Travel Agent is saying VS are refusing to change to a later flight without a fee as VS are saying the mct is 85 mins, exactly what I have, its an evening arrival with only one later flight so I don't want to be stuck overnight in JFK, I'll miss a hotel booking in LA with no refund.

I saw page 1 of this thread showing mct of 105 mins and a VS rep also told me this but couldn't change it as its a TA booking.

The first digit of DL flights at JFK normally denotes the Terminal, therefore, DL447 will depart from T4 not T2 which makes a big difference in connection time. There's an exception today where the NCE-JFK continues to LAX as DL212. It arrives and departs from T4

All of the JFK-LAX are D1 and there is a later flight if you misconnect.

I've come through JFK Passport Control twice in June about 4 PM on a weekday and there was no delay or backup anywhere.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Keep an eye out for a schedule change - either giving your more time or taking you below MCT thus allowing a free change.

I came through JFK last week and had to do a T4-T2 transfer with 95 mins. Made it with time to stop in the SkyClub, even (though it ended up not mattering as.my outbound ended up being delayed).

I had a US passport and GE which helped, but the regular lines did not look long on a Friday afternoon and many people caught up with me at the baggage carousel. If you check a bag, be aware that the signage for re-check is not too clear. If you see a long line, be sure to ask an agent where to go if you just need to deposit your already-tagged bag.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can put my worries at ease, I'm flying LHR-JFK (VS9) arr. 18:45 and will be connecting on a completely separate ticket to a Delta flight to BOS departing at 21:05 (DL5499). I'm pretty sure that both flights will arrive/depart from T4 (if I'm wrong please let me know).

I've got 140 mins to make the transfer, I've not connected through JFK before so if anyone can help answer the following questions I'd appreciate it:

1. Is 140 mins enough time to make the connection?
2. Do I need to clear immigration and security all the way out and back in or is there a way to stay in the secure area?
3. Delta don't seem to let me pre-book hold luggage on the domestic flight, is there a way to pick up my bags and check them in to the Delta flight without having to go all the way out?

Any other tips on where I need to be going and pitfalls to avoid for transferring through JFK would be very welcome too.

I'm on a UK passport.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
1) 140 minutes should be plenty (and delta will protect you even on separate tickets since you're on a partner flight)
2) you have to collect your bags, re-check them, and re-clear security. there is no way to stay in the secure area at all.
3) bag check should be right by where you collect them (right after immigration). I haven't had checked bags when entering at JFK in a long time so I don't know the specifics but someone will.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by welshio
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can put my worries at ease, I'm flying LHR-JFK (VS9) arr. 18:45 and will be connecting on a completely separate ticket to a Delta flight to BOS departing at 21:05 (DL5499). I'm pretty sure that both flights will arrive/depart from T4 (if I'm wrong please let me know).

I've got 140 mins to make the transfer, I've not connected through JFK before so if anyone can help answer the following questions I'd appreciate it:

1. Is 140 mins enough time to make the connection?
2. Do I need to clear immigration and security all the way out and back in or is there a way to stay in the secure area?
3. Delta don't seem to let me pre-book hold luggage on the domestic flight, is there a way to pick up my bags and check them in to the Delta flight without having to go all the way out?

Any other tips on where I need to be going and pitfalls to avoid for transferring through JFK would be very welcome too.

I'm on a UK passport.

Cheers
Is thus the first time entering the US on your current ESTA? If it is you must see an officer, if not you can use the automated machines. This really is the biggest issue in if you connect in time.

You of course must clear security. You're entering the US. There's nowhere in the world you can connect international/domestic and not clear security, except between Schengen countries (and only because they're domestic flights basically due to no borders).

Ask VS at checkin to tag you bag all the way. They'll need to see your confirmation for the onward flight. You'll still need to pickup the bag and walk it through customs at JFK. However you can just drop it on the DL recheck belt with no agent interaction needed. If they won't tag all the way, there's agents there that will assist. You then proceed around the corner to clear security into T4. (All regional operated flights should operate out of the very far end of T4 B gates) If the security line is backed up, you can try upstairs at the regular lanes.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Is this reasonable on a separate ticket or just setting myself up for failure. I have global entry etc & wont check a bag:

SA203 JNB to JFK lands 6:40 AM T2
DL2961 JFK to SFO departs 8:15 AM T4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.