Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Check out Automated Passport Control at JFK. I don't think that Mobile Passport Control, which is almost as fast as GE is available at JFK yet.

Info on both available at cbp.gov Travel
Originally Posted by Zorak
According to their web site it's available at JFK

http://www.mobilepassport.us/
JFK T4 had Mobile CBP service for quite a while.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Check out Automated Passport Control at JFK. I don't think that Mobile Passport Control, which is almost as fast as GE is available at JFK yet.

Info on both available at cbp.gov Travel
It's unclear who this comment is intended for, but if for robin18 (the most recent poster), going outbound from the US (SAV-JFK-LON) the above does not apply as there is no passport control (other than BA checkin).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Provided on-time, yes. You'll arrive T2/4 and need to claim bags, catch the train to T7 and checkin. 3 hours is easily doable, and I'd say 2hrs also. Less then that and you risk missing baggage cutoff.
Many thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:50 pm

I realized I have ORD-JFK into JFK-KEF with a 1 hour connection; seems like it's T4-T4 so the major risk is just the inbound being late but otherwise I should be fine?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by twentytwo
I realized I have ORD-JFK into JFK-KEF with a 1 hour connection; seems like it's T4-T4 so the major risk is just the inbound being late but otherwise I should be fine?
It's possible to be at T2 for both the flights. Regardless 1 hour should be fine. As it is DL pads their schedules. Even with a departure delay you can arrive early.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's possible to be at T2 for both the flights. Regardless 1 hour should be fine. As it is DL pads their schedules. Even with a departure delay you can arrive early.
In the case where it was T2-T4 or vice versa, I would just take the Delta jitney right?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by twentytwo
In the case where it was T2-T4 or vice versa, I would just take the Delta jitney right?
Yup -- note there are two Jitney locations in T4, one in T2, and they operate between all combinations of those 3 locations, so just tell them where you want to end up and they'll tell you which bus to get on

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-york-jfk.html
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

My flight is not until September, so I can't get much information from Delta. Curious if I will need to change terminals on a flight RDU-JFK-PRG coming in on a CRJ900. I read somewhere that Delta was consolidating a lot of their flights to Terminal 4, so maybe all I need to do is go from one end of the terminal to another? Or maybe I come in on Terminal 2 and then have to transfer?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by zitsky
My flight is not until September, so I can't get much information from Delta. Curious if I will need to change terminals on a flight RDU-JFK-PRG coming in on a CRJ900. I read somewhere that Delta was consolidating a lot of their flights to Terminal 4, so maybe all I need to do is go from one end of the terminal to another? Or maybe I come in on Terminal 2 and then have to transfer?
There is no way to know until about 24 hours before your flight which terminal it will arrive at. You may need to go from one end of T4 to the other, go a few gates down, or you may end up needing to take the Jitney from T2 to T4.

Even now, a very large majority of flights from RDU-JFK arrive at T4, and I foresee that pattern continuing.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
There is no way to know until about 24 hours before your flight which terminal it will arrive at. You may need to go from one end of T4 to the other, go a few gates down, or you may end up needing to take the Jitney from T2 to T4.

Even now, a very large majority of flights from RDU-JFK arrive at T4, and I foresee that pattern continuing.
I have a 3 hour connection, so I don't mind the walk. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:19 pm

Is 1:12 enough

Hi I have a flight on a Saturday morning from Phl to JFK to hearhrow. Departs phl at 6am and departs JFK at around 8am. The layover is 1:12 minutes and virgin had mentioned concern for time and I should contact Priceline. Well there isn't an earlier flight to JFK. I don't know if I'm allowed to cancel first portion of trip and drive to JFK to avoid missing my connection . Please advise me I need help thanks
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Tua40921
Hi I have a flight on a Saturday morning from Phl to JFK to hearhrow. Departs phl at 6am and departs JFK at around 8am. The layover is 1:12 minutes and virgin had mentioned concern for time and I should contact Priceline. Well there isn't an earlier flight to JFK. I don't know if I'm allowed to cancel first portion of trip and drive to JFK to avoid missing my connection . Please advise me I need help thanks
In my opinion, if your inbound into JFK arrives at T4 on-time, I do not think 1:12 should be a problem as you'd just need to walk (or take the JITNEY) to the next gate.

However, this is violating minimum connection time rules, so you are entitled to a change that suits you.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: VS Gold
Does anyone have any thoughts on the below - I have a MEX-JFK-LHR trip later this summer, with a 1h 40m layover at JFK, connecting from DL to DL (8:50pm arrival into JFK, 10:30pm depature on the DL403), with checked luggage.

According to the OP this breaches the MCT, and was booked via VS on VS codeshares.

Although I do have GE (and therefore TSA-Pre) this should trim down any immigration/security, I'm still concerned as this is also the last LHR depature of the night.
Is it worth me contacting VS to discuss an alternative route? I was only sold this 2 days ago though, so I guess they must think it's okay.

Last edited by SlimpyJones; Apr 12, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
Does anyone have any thoughts on the below - I have a MEX-JFK-LHR trip later this summer, with a 1h 40m layover at JFK, connecting from DL to DL (8:50pm arrival into JFK, 10:30pm depature on the DL403), with checked luggage.

According to the OP this breaches the MCT, and was booked via VS on VS codeshares.

Although I do have GE (and therefore TSA-Pre) this should trim down any immigration/security, I'm still concerned as this is also the last LHR depature of the night.
Is it worth me contacting VS to discuss an alternative route? I was only sold this 2 days ago though, so I guess they must think it's okay.
If booked as VS flights then you need to use the VS MCT not DL. This can result in a different MCT. A lot of time different airlines will have different MCT for the same set of flights just depending on who's flight it really is.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:30 am

Quick check, I'm landing at JFK from LHR next month @ 14:30 on VS0137 and obviously need to clear immigration etc (British) and the have a connecting flight @ 16:10 to ORD.

Is 1h40m ok?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.