Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SeatGuru for Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Hi Delta folks,
I’m a United flyer and a few months back I created a little airplane seat review site for the United planes. I got lots of requests to add other airlines and I’m pleased to tell you all that Delta is now up on www.seatguru.com Now I’ve read all your “best seat” threads and tried to put all that information onto the pages, but I’m sure there are ones I am missing, particularly the bad seats. I also just saw the thread about the 777 seating changing, so I’ll try to get a new map up for that plane too. Well, when you visit the site, look for a feedback link on each plane’s page, that helps me know exactly which plane your comments refer to. I hope you enjoy the site & thanks in advance for your help. -Matt
Old Jul 15, 2002, 11:31 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
thanks!!

some comments for discussion/addition:

it would be worth adding the DLX 732 and DLS 738. the DLS 738 in particular, as it also shows up on mainline routes, and people need to know to avoid it if they want to upgrade, or aim for it if they want to fly coach at 36" pitch.

on the 727, the rear exit seats could be clarified: 32DE have standard (lousy) pitch. definitely a "beware" tag. i saw someone arrive at 32D only to be supremely disappointed in his "exit row" seat. 35DE have excellent pitch--good enough for the flight attendant to walk by to arm the door. 35F is a great seat for room, but loud.

on at least one DL 727, the galley is on the right side, and 31F is directly behind 30A. so if you care about sitting on the right side of the plane, don't take 31F or back, just in case.

on the 767-200, seats 26CE should be green. the legroom is excellent there on the -200.

on the 767-300 domestic: row 10 is pretty good. the legroom is nice in the center section, and reasonable on the sides. 26AG do not exist. 27AG therefore have excellent legroom. 26BF therefore have excellent shoulder room. 26BF/27BF have standard (lousy) pitch. 27CE are my favorite seats on the plane. nice legroom.

on the 767-400, i was going to disagree with your green coloring on 3B after a flight there, but after reading the lukewarm review, i guess it probably is one of the best lousy seats on the plane... i did find the legroom in 18CE to be excellent. i had 18C with 18D empty, and would do that over F on this plane any day.

MD-88: the pitch in front of the exit rows on the DE side is above average for delta. by the time you reach the exit rows, the numbering is a full row out of sync. (thus the oddly skewed exit rows on the map) that's probably worth a warning in the summary text, for people who want to sit on adjacent aisles. exit row legroom is excellent.

now let's see where everyone's taste differs from mine... :-)
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:52 pm
pjs

The MD90 does in fact have video and audio. They have those neat fold down screens every few rows or so.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys, I added all your comments (and a bunch more from emails) to the site. If anyone has additional comments on the good/bad seats, please let me know. Thanks, and enjoy! -Matt
Old Jul 16, 2002, 8:50 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
It may be helpful to note the window seats missing windows. Especially in the 67-ER.

Also, only one of the configs for that plane is posted.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 3:39 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
BTW Matt, I just want to say a public "thank you" for the work you're doing on seatguru. I suspect that the various DL FTers will continue to bombard you with updates both here and in email....
Old Jul 17, 2002, 3:04 pm

Thanks, phatteus, I've just used your work to double check a seat I had and decided to change it due to your advice. Much easier than trying to track all those "best Delta seats" threads.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:43 pm

Thanks Phatteus. This is a long over-due addition to the flyer's database. Kudos to you!!
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Half the credit goes to the Flyertalkers as usual, they are the ones with all the data, I just reorganize it ;-)

I hope the seat information continues to get better and I can expand to a few more airlines. Keep those seat comments coming. -Matt
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:19 pm

SeatGuru 738 confusion

I'm a little confused here:

SeatGuru's map of DL's 738 depicts the Y seating area as starting with row 10, with six rows of seats between that and rows 17/18... which are exits with supposedly excellent seats.

The aircraft I'm currently scheduled to ride (operating DL1896, CVG-BOS, 12/6/02) depicts the Y seating area as starting with row 1 with 11 rows of seats between that and rows 12/13 (exits).

Is this a shuttle aircraft operating a mainline flight? Has DL recently changed their 738 configuration? Not that any of it really matters, I'd just like to know the reason for the difference. Thanks guys

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Dictionary
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:22 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
This flight is operated by shuttle equipment. It's been discussed a bunch here. If you are on insULT, you are lucky.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
This flight is operated by shuttle equipment. It's been discussed a bunch here. If you are on insULT, you are lucky. </font>
Thanks for the info. I guess I didnt do a broad enough search... I am seeing some of the topics formerly discussed now.

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Dictionary
Old Apr 6, 2004, 2:09 pm

Delta seat maps and SeatGuru inaccuracies

I've always been disappointed that Delta's aircraft seat maps have so little information. For example, they do not display the location of the lavatories, galleys, and closets. This is important to me when choosing a seat. For example, on the B767-400, I once avoided the exit row at door 3 because it looked like there was a lav in front of it on the Delta seatmap, but as it turned out it is just a wall and these are great seats. Delta is the only airline to have so little information on their seatmaps.

I've noticed that, within the last month, Seatguru has changed their seat maps. No longer using the exact image that appears on each individual website, the creator has made a seatmap for each aircraft, using a consistent style. These still accurately display the lavatory/galley/closet placement for the other airlines, but he had to guess (presumably) for Delta since they don't show these on their online seatmaps.

Among the many errors:
=On the 737-800, there are two lavatories in the rear of the aircraft, not just one.
=On the Song 757, the midship lavatory is on the starboard side, directly in front of door 2R. On the opposite side, in front of door 2L, there is a closet, not a galley.
=On the 767-300ER international, there are two coach lavatories midship directly behind the BusinessElite cabin, roughly where the seatguru map shows 20-21 CDE to be.
=On the 767-300 domestic, there is only one First Class lavatory. The lavatory between door 1L and 1AB, shown on SeatGuru, does not exist. In stead, there is a small wall.
=On the 767-300 domestic, there are only two lavatories between the two economy class cabin, one on each side of the aircraft. SeatGuru shows three total, with two on the port side.
=On the 757, there is a mid-cabin lavatory between First Class and coach that is not shown on SeatGuru.

It is disappointing that Delta does not give us better seatmaps (and when they first launched Delta-air.com way back when, the seat maps were much better). But SeatGuru's attempts to fill in the blanks are very inaccurate. Frankly, I liked SeatGuru better when they just colored in the seatmaps already provided by the airlines.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Contact the website

BizJet - I've found the operator of SeatGuru.com to be very eager to receive any factual comments about the site. If you haven't already, you should forward your comments to the contact address provided on that site.

You're comments are very good - I'm sure they'll be incorporated.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:09 pm

I did e-mail the creator of Seatguru and he quickly responded and was very receptive. I really appreciate the Seatguru service and appreciate his effort. My post certainly was not met to criticize Seatguru, but really to criticize Delta, who leaves us (and seatguru) guessing as to the location of lavatories and galleys on the seatmaps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.