Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
General information on buddy passes: Delta Air Lines Employee & Guest Travel Guide
Print Wikipost

Buddy Passes: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:17 pm

I always use delta.com and see what the seat availability is for my particular flight. Additionally, i search first class and see how many seats are open as I always perfer to get F (who wouldn't?). Also, check to see if B/E is offered. This will increase your chances to fly in F. Make sure you dress business casual too. Good Luck
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
ATL-LGW is tough for NRSA. You should have gone earlier this month when it's pretty dead. Although 2 weeks from now it might be really wide open thanks to Bush and Saddam...

Wed-Thursday are good bets but Sun will still be tough coming back.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Four Seasons By Invitation, SPG Gold, #1 Club Gold, AmEx Plat
DL Buddy Pass Travel on AF?

Can you use DL Family and Friend passes on DL Codeshare flights, i.e., if I don't make it on a DL flight from ATL-CDG, can they list me on the AF flights that fly from ATL-CDG? or does the pass just work on DL metal?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:38 pm

I used a buddy pass for travel on AF from CDG to IST a little over a year ago. One note of caution, they put me in coach, even though FC was wide open. I think I've heard that they've changed that, but I'm not sure. The reason I say "caution" is if they haven't changed that, you can't consider those seats as "possibilities" when you call the buddy pass phone number to check availability and to list yourself. On the way home I wasn't able to get on the AF flight (back was full, wouldn't let me in first), so I ended up taking the Delta flight IST-JFK, which works fine...UNTIL you try to use a buddy pass to get from JFK to ATL! But that's another story...
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:40 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You can use a DL buddy pass on the AF codeshare flights, however you will ride in coach and not up front. Best choice definetely is to fly on DL metal on your DL buddy pass.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Deltspygt:
Can you use DL Family and Friend passes on DL Codeshare flights, i.e., if I don't make it on a DL flight from ATL-CDG, can they list me on the AF flights that fly from ATL-CDG?

Thanks
</font>
Yes, you can, although you will most likely be in coach. The employee who gave you the buddy pass can give you the info to contact the pass bureau for questions like these.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:23 pm
MRW

I concur with what other have posted above... DL metal is better if you're flying standby. Air France will likely put you in coach -- although I've been on Delta flights where AF nonrevs were in Business. Also, try and avoid checking luggage especially if you're going via CDG. On either AF or DL (AF does the checkin for DL's nonrevs downstairs), they will not take your luggage until the last minute when they know you'll make the flight but that means there is a high risk your luggage won't make your flight and since you're non-rev you'll either have to pick it up yourself or pay the courier fee.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:10 pm

Good points MRW. Unfortunately for DL employees, the DL/AF agreement doesn't work both ways. It's somewhat rare for AF to give a DL emp. a seat up front. DL usually accomodates AF employees up front if there is room. Another problem with checking luggage is, if you are connecting beyond CDG on an AF flight, you have to claim your bag(s) in CDG and recheck them. This can cause all sorts of problems with tight connections, missed flights, bags stuck in CDG when you're elsewhere in Europe, etc.

Edited for typos.

[This message has been edited by window30ba (edited 01-28-2003).]
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:44 am

Can you travel to India in Business Class on AF or DL using the Buddy Pass ?

Cheers
Old Feb 1, 2003, 6:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swaghmar:
Can you travel to India in Business Class on AF or DL using the Buddy Pass ?

Cheers
</font>
You can travel in BusinessElite on DL. I amnot sure what the situation with AF is.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 8:10 pm

Mamma DL sez: "no buddy passes on Song!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Delta has announced that no buddy passes will be allowed in SONG , this to improve gate efficiency and turn-around times to keep the vision and goal of the new airline , Song said that this will be implemented in April when it starts operations and will remain like that until year end , in 2004 the airline will revise the outcome of not having the family and friends pass onboard and will make a announcement if the measure stays that way of if they are accepted </font>
------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:42 am
PZ

Programs: DL Platinum
Tips on Using a Buddy Pass

I'm about to use a Buddy Pass for the first time ever, and I'm taking a long international trip involving DL and AF.

Since I have never done this before, I would appreciate any ideas on what's the best way to do it and minimize troubles, avoid having to stay in a hotel when my connecting flight is full, and improve chances of not having to sit (twice) for 10 hours in the middle seat between screaming children.

Or should I just resign myself to an arduous journey?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:26 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You should get all the information you request here from the Delta employee who gave you the buddy pass.
The employee already should have informed you about all the applicable rules, including that you are to accept the seat assignment you are being given by the agent clearing you onto the flight.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:34 am
PZ

Programs: DL Platinum

Yes -- I did get that information on the basic rules. I know I'm flying standby and have essentially no choice over what seat I'm given.

What I'm asking for is any pearls of wisdom from experienced flyers -- Ideas such as days of the week to avoid; or looking at specific bookings to see how full a flight is before trying to get a seat...that sort of thing.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:15 pm

Avoid flights that are full.

You should have been provided with a telephone number and access code that allows you to retrieve actual flight booking totals. Use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.