Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for SLC:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D and D-I: 30 minutes
I-D and I-I: 55 minutes. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic arrival and thus the 30 minute D-D or D-I connection time applies.

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
If they claim it's weather related, they don't have to do anything.
But often times, you can get the Delta rate at a hotel, which is significantly cheaper. But you have to ask for it. Helps if you have access to a CRC.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Okay, this thread led me to ask: I have a 44 minutes connection in Cincinnati. I've never stopped there so is that a fair conneciton time?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:12 pm

SLC is a very easy airport to change in unless you are delayed for some reason. It should not be a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
But often times, you can get the Delta rate at a hotel, which is significantly cheaper. But you have to ask for it. Helps if you have access to a CRC.

guys - 2x in atl, the whole airport got show down because of the rain, and i saw the agents giving hotel vouchers to every one from all flights... was this just them being nice?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by indufan
Of course, if it takes you 35 minutes to move 100 feet then you will be in trouble. CDE are all very close. B is a little farther but they only have a partial operation there. Normal people can easily make a flight from the farthest B gate to E in 35 minutes.
You don't have 35 minutes, you have 20 minutes. At any time after T-15 minutes, the plane can push back w/o you.

If you arrive on a jungle jet they often don't use either a jetway or the built-in steps -- you have to wait for someone to roll up a metal staircase. I've incurred several substantial delays in that area, and not every FA is bright enough to give up after a few seconds & let people climb down the built-in steps.

Then you have to to wait for the gate-checked luggage ....

And if your plane is 5 or 10 minutes late on top of that ... rots of ruck.

We've been fly thru SLC 2X-4X a month for the last year and have had several close calls. So far we've been lucky, but people who just automatically regurgitate that it's "easy" in 35 minutes aren't thinking thru all the likely scenarios.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Before someone else says it, Delta does have some limited service out of B too but it also has a moving walkway to C.
"Limited"?

Almost all of our flights have involved "B", and about a quarter involve transfers between E & B.

& I've seen sections of the wonderful moving walking non-operational, too.

They need to hustle. Maybe they can borrow the cops' mountain bikes if they're not watching.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
You don't have 35 minutes, you have 20 minutes. At any time after T-15 minutes, the plane can push back w/o you.

If you arrive on a jungle jet they often don't use either a jetway or the built-in steps -- you have to wait for someone to roll up a metal staircase. I've incurred several substantial delays in that area, and not every FA is bright enough to give up after a few seconds & let people climb down the built-in steps.

Then you have to to wait for the gate-checked luggage ....

And if your plane is 5 or 10 minutes late on top of that ... rots of ruck.

We've been fly thru SLC 2X-4X a month for the last year and have had several close calls. So far we've been lucky, but people who just automatically regurgitate that it's "easy" in 35 minutes aren't thinking thru all the likely scenarios.
Any time your connecting flight is already boarding when you get to the gate, that is a CLOSE connection in my lexicon. Close enough that any minor delay on the taxiway, waiting for the gate to clear, waiting for outbound traffic out of the ramp, waiting for gate checked luggage to be rolled forward on RJs... any delay can have significant adverse consequences.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

I stick with the easy tag. I had several connections last year at 20 minutes on the schedule. I stressed and made every one of them. SkyWest doesn't work on the 15 minute rule, do they? From a practical standpoint, mainline doesn't either.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:36 pm

"it depends"

I do a trip through there almost monthly. If DL is delayed or is late getting in for whatever reason they may not let you on. I had a flight that left on time and was late getting in by 20 minutes. I had a friend on the plane telling me the door was still open and they would not let me go out to it. Everything later was full.
Lost that day, had to fly to another city and drive 3 hours to get where I needed to go.

Now I catch a fight that gives me over an hour and then try to do a standby on the 30 minute layover flight. That usually works and at least I fly into the city I was planning to go to. If I cannot get on the earlier flight I'll just catch lunch or go to the CRC.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Joby
I do a trip through there almost monthly. If DL is delayed or is late getting in for whatever reason they may not let you on. I had a flight that left on time and was late getting in by 20 minutes. I had a friend on the plane telling me the door was still open and they would not let me go out to it. Everything later was full.
Lost that day, had to fly to another city and drive 3 hours to get where I needed to go.

Now I catch a fight that gives me over an hour and then try to do a standby on the 30 minute layover flight. That usually works and at least I fly into the city I was planning to go to. If I cannot get on the earlier flight I'll just catch lunch or go to the CRC.
I would have liked to have gotten a connection with at least an hour connection time, but unfortunantly award tickets limit your time choices. Oh well......
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I had a similar connection, but in reverse: BLI-SLC-JFK, with 35 minutes scheduled. I don't remember if I got in early or not, but I had time to
-walk from the furthest E gate to the terminal
-use the bathroom
-stop at Starbucks
-get to my C gate during final boarding (about 15 min before departure)
-get bumped off my JFK flight to an EWR flight leaving 10 minutes later - for 400 Delta Dollars (but into a middle seat)
-briskly walk to the D gate for final boarding of the EWR flight to find out that the JFK-flight agent really did call the EWR gate and get me moved out of a middle seat ^

All in all, it worked out quite well!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stick with the easy tag. I had several connections last year at 20 minutes on the schedule. I stressed and made every one of them. SkyWest doesn't work on the 15 minute rule, do they? From a practical standpoint, mainline doesn't either.
I've had plenty of flights leave early, close to the 15 minute mark.

What helps in the lower part of the B concourse is that they often schedule 2 flights at about the same time for the same gate. If the other one's loading, yours ain't going.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
27 minute connection in SLC

Delta sold me a ticket with a 27 minute connection in SLC.

DFW - SLC - PHX

There is another PHX flight if I miss-connect.

Mainline DL to Skywest........27 minutes......Hmmmmm
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by rebadc
Delta sold me a ticket with a 27 minute connection in SLC.

DFW - SLC - PHX

There is another PHX flight if I miss-connect.

Mainline DL to Skywest........27 minutes......Hmmmmm
As long as you arrive on time this should be no problem. You can go from any Delta gate to E concourse (Skywest) in about 10 minutes. Also, DL flys to PHX about every 90 minutes if you miss. ^
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:45 pm

My ATL-SLC-BOI connection was also less than 30 min. and I managed not only to take the connection, but also to have a pizza and buy a DL Model.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.