Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for SLC:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D and D-I: 30 minutes
I-D and I-I: 55 minutes. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic arrival and thus the 30 minute D-D or D-I connection time applies.

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cnc2002
SLC is a big airport and the distances between gates can be very long.
Are we talking about the same airport? I don't consider the distances long at all. The concourses aren't very deep...what it goes to C11 or something like that. There are moving walkways between B-C-D.
Originally Posted by ecspike
35m is little bit close. That's not to say impossible,
To say it is not "impossible" seems to indicate that it is a stretch. 35 minutes is a walk in the park at SLC. That's enough time for a sandwich and a trip to the smoking room.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta BIS DM
Assuming everything is on-time and you're not travelling with kids, 35m is more than enough time in Salt Lake.

I would bet that you can walk from any point in the C, D, and E terminals (the ones Delta serves) to any other point in no more than 10 minutes. No trains involved. The terminals aren't that "deep" and they have moving walkways to get between them.

I'd say don't sweat it. But I'm also a bit of a risk taker by nature. =)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:33 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I made a 32 minute connection ANC-SLC-ATL. We were even 15 minutes late coming in to SLC.

I did have to walk briskly from B to A (or maybe it was B to C). At any rate I made it about 10 mins before they closed the doors.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neatbrian
Assuming everything is on-time and you're not travelling with kids, 35m is more than enough time in Salt Lake.

I would bet that you can walk from any point in the C, D, and E terminals (the ones Delta serves) to any other point in no more than 10 minutes. No trains involved. The terminals aren't that "deep" and they have moving walkways to get between them.

I'd say don't sweat it. But I'm also a bit of a risk taker by nature. =)
Before someone else says it, Delta does have some limited service out of B too but it also has a moving walkway to C.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
I booked two award tickets from Atl to BLI in June with a connection time of only 35 minutes in SLC. What happens if we miss the flight due to a late arrival into SLC??? The flight to BLI is the last one of the day.
I have done it, even from the furthest of those stupid skywest outdoor gates.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
35 minutes is a piece of cake. Takes no more than about 3 minutes to reach the concourse from the farthest gate; no more than 10 minutes to walk from B to E on the moving walkways.

B, to me lately, has only been Delta Connection CRJ-700s and -900s; haven't seen any -200s there (all were out in E). If the ATL-SLC flight is on a widebody, it should arrive in D (I've always seen widebodies only at D1-D4 area), so that would be a quick walk to E from there.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by indufan
Are we talking about the same airport? I don't consider the distances long at all. The concourses aren't very deep...what it goes to C11 or something like that. There are moving walkways between B-C-D.
Depends on the circumstances.

There are breeding farms for jungle jets at the far ends of the airport. If your family includes grandma (or if you are grandma) or if you're hauling kids, 35 minutes could be tight to impossible. Waiting for gate-checked luggage, walkers, and strollers cuts into that time.

I've yet to miss a connection in SLC but I've been a bit nervous about several tight ones.

If you're arriving & departing on mainline jets, 35 mins should be ok.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Depends on the circumstances.

There are breeding farms for jungle jets at the far ends of the airport. If your family includes grandma (or if you are grandma) or if you're hauling kids, 35 minutes could be tight to impossible. Waiting for gate-checked luggage, walkers, and strollers cuts into that time.

I've yet to miss a connection in SLC but I've been a bit nervous about several tight ones.

If you're arriving & departing on mainline jets, 35 mins should be ok.
Of course, if it takes you 35 minutes to move 100 feet then you will be in trouble. CDE are all very close. B is a little farther but they only have a partial operation there. Normal people can easily make a flight from the farthest B gate to E in 35 minutes.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
35 minutes at SLC should be easy. It takes me no more than 10 minutes to walk from any gate in to any other gate in that airport. The Y shaped terminal in E is kind of fun to navigate if you haven't seen it before. But, 35 minutes should be easy. I think it's also Delta's best hub for running on time. I've never been delayed there due to the airport (I've been delayed getting into ORD, but that's O'Hare for you).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton & Marriott Silver
Talking a miracle we made the plane

In Nov. we had the min. connecting time between terminals - connecting to the last flight out to TUS. B'c of the terminal change & the short connection time, along with a delay in our 1st connecting city of CVG, I asked for an electric cart for me & DH (elderly). We got to the gate, as FO were 1st off. Looked for cart, there was none - looked for gate, not posted, finally found GA. Looked up gate, ordered electric cart (which went to D instead of B). Waited 2 min - then started hoofing it. Met electric cart at top of terminal entrance, got to other terminal went to GA and found the words 'FLIGHT DEPARTED" in big bold RED letters! My heart sank, my eyes bulged and the GA said, "are you going to TUS?" I struttered yes and she said, "ok I can still get you onboard." Then it was a quick shuffle down the long enclosed but not heated outdoor way to our plane. We hopped on and they shut the door and took off! I do NOT like short connections in SLC - especially in winter. But if it's the ONLY alternative, well then I hold my breath and cross my fingers and GO FOR IT! (and accrue those MQMs).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I just hope that I don't get delayed in ATL for some reason, but I guess spending the night in SLC isn't the worst thing in the world if we do get there late.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
Getting on board after departure? How did they manage THAT?
Busted , I meant kept getting on board after the scheduled departure time.....

David
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cnc2002
..... Depending cause of the missed connection, DL would probably not put you up for the night and give you a food voucher unless your are a highly valued customer and the missed connection was due to their action (mechanical) rather than to weather or something else beyond their control.
I thought delta gives u the hotel voucher any time you miss your connection (it is the last flight out that day to your final city) when the first leg was delayed due to any reason..

I have been delayed getting to atl few times, and it mostly due to traffic on run way or normal delays...

have you had exp where delta said that you dont get a hotel voucher? I can only think of this when you get to the connection city and have more than enough time and you just lose track of time and get to the gate late.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:35 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by fb3003
I thought delta gives u the hotel voucher any time you miss your connection (it is the last flight out that day to your final city) when the first leg was delayed due to any reason..

I have been delayed getting to atl few times, and it mostly due to traffic on run way or normal delays...

have you had exp where delta said that you dont get a hotel voucher? I can only think of this when you get to the connection city and have more than enough time and you just lose track of time and get to the gate late.
If they claim it's weather related, they don't have to do anything.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
If you are on time--no problem. DL-DL are con C to D or reverse unless yoy are going Skywest then down escalator. If you are late could be problem,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.