Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for SLC:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D and D-I: 30 minutes
I-D and I-I: 55 minutes. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic arrival and thus the 30 minute D-D or D-I connection time applies.

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: PM/2MM,Hilton diamond
Do not rely on CRC. Unaccompanied minors , less than 21, not allowed in. Happened to my 19 yo grand daughter at SLC Jul 1. Had to wait 7 hours in open waiting area because missed connection to afternoon flight to ANC.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:57 pm
Suspended

My suggestion?

Use another west coast hub if possible. UA DEN or US PHX.

The SLC hub is just too small to be reliable.

DL at SLC im guessing is larger than US in PHX and its not that much smaller than UA in DEN either since DL has built up SLC so much recently
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
30 mins is way too short for a SLC connection. My rationale is based solely on this... That's not enough time to enjoy some of the great brew in the SLC CRC!

Safe travels!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by brown069
30 mins is way too short for a SLC connection. My rationale is based solely on this... That's not enough time to enjoy some of the great brew in the SLC CRC!

Safe travels!
Too bad the OP is a minor.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Too bad the OP is a minor.
Rats (for him)!!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH - Gold, MR - Plat, IHG - Plat, UA
Originally Posted by brown069
Rats (for him)!!
Can I have his beer?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:09 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I did a SDC for the 4:13 SkyWest flight, which got out of PHX about 5:00. It was a good thing, too - apparently the 5:51 flight was delayed until 8:30 on a mechanical, so it was still in PHX as I was flying away from SLC. And I got GLSEN Alaska to cover the $25 SDC fee, so it worked out great for me!

And CRJ-700s aren't nearly as bad as everyone says they are...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by stellertony
I did a SDC for the 4:13 SkyWest flight, which got out of PHX about 5:00. It was a good thing, too - apparently the 5:51 flight was delayed until 8:30 on a mechanical, so it was still in PHX as I was flying away from SLC. And I got GLSEN Alaska to cover the $25 SDC fee, so it worked out great for me!

And CRJ-700s aren't nearly as bad as everyone says they are...
Glad you made it! Good move getting on the earlier flight.... ^

David
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Is a 25 minute connection in SLC possible?

I'm a Northwest (mostly Midwest/East Coast) FF, so I don't have any experience going through SLC. About the only workable SkyTeam itinerary for a trip to SBA involves a 25 minute connection time on the return trip. I've never even seen a 25 minute connection, much less tried to fly one in an unfamiliar airport. I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions. Has anyone done this before?

The flights are SBA-SLC (6:23a-9:15) SLC-AUS (9:40-1:23p)
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
There's little reason why the SBA flight should not be on time. If you are connecting to another SkyWest flight you should have ample time. If you are connecting to DL mainline, 25 mins is tight, but doable. SLC is not an expansive airport. I might be slightly worried if you have checked luggage and transferring SkyWest -> mainline.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: S3
Originally Posted by ruhl0029
I'm a Northwest (mostly Midwest/East Coast) FF, so I don't have any experience going through SLC. About the only workable SkyTeam itinerary for a trip to SBA involves a 25 minute connection time on the return trip. I've never even seen a 25 minute connection, much less tried to fly one in an unfamiliar airport. I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions. Has anyone done this before?

The flights are SBA-SLC (6:23a-9:15) SLC-AUS (9:40-1:23p)
SBA will typically arrive in E Terminal and Aus flt is a CR7 will probably operate out of B Terminal (all the way at the end of regular B where you think you've come to the end - then down the escalator then past some shops and then finally where the Southwest gates are) ...The longest transfer on DL in SLC.

For this transfer I recommend no less than 35min minimum.

But maybe you'll be ok as the SBA-SLC is a 90-99% ontime performer...whereas the SLC-AUS is only 50-59%

Wear your track shoes

Last edited by SLC777RES; Aug 13, 2007 at 2:31 pm
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:31 pm

Make sure you sit at the front of the plane and that you can at least jog with your carry-on (i.e. get a backpack). You may run into problems with the gate agent enforces the rule about being at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before departure if the flight is oversold.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Make sure you sit at the front of the plane and that you can at least jog with your carry-on (i.e. get a backpack). You may run into problems with the gate agent enforces the rule about being at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before departure if the flight is oversold.
Good advice on where to sit...however I've never taken more than 12-15 minutes to completely traverse SLC, unless it was for a quick stop in the CRC for the "necessities"...lol.

but I do have a question on your point about being at the gate 15 minutes out....
If it's a legal connect, can the GA still bump you if you're not there 15 min early? Sometimes they don't even start boarding until 10 minutes out, so how could they bump at 15?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
25 minutes is a piece of cake in SLC. I went from the end of C to the end of E in 9 minutes once. I do not run.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:33 pm

Is it just me or does this question pop up every week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.