Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by browan04
I have had problems with Delta using Skymiles for booking from the US on China Airlines (specifically HNL to TPE) but found no problems at all booking from TPE elsewhere. Booked from TPE to VIE this summer on the a350, very easy, and lots of availability with Skymiles.
Problem is never to or from TPE. Problem is the connections in TPE that DL is always blocking.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by sleuth; Sep 4, 2020 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by sleuth
I asked the GTS agent to build it by segment. She claimed she did but it wouldn’t price. Then she tried to claim the 85k was valid only to TPE and not beyond, but she tripped herself up by claiming it would be more miles booked on one ticket. So I said ok how many miles. She wouldn’t tell me. I asked well how do you know that if you can’t price it by building it segment by segment? Then she claimed the lead told her she can’t book the beyond TPE segment because it’s in economy and thus world need to be two separate award tickets.

I know HUCA usually works, but I expect a GTS agent who’s sole job it is to know the workarounds to not lie to a customer. I seriously believe she just started making things up after I called her out for telling me a single ticket would cost more miles after she told me two minutes before that her system wasn’t pricing a single ticket itinerary.

Hopefully that call was recorded. And yes, I gave the agent who ultimately got this done a formal compliment.
It's just poor training of the DL agents, unfortunately.

For CI flights connecting in TPE some can do it segment by segment, but the way they are supposed to do it is (you pretty much have to tell them and walk them through it step by step, as DL doesn't really train its staff) an O&D search, but with several extra steps, where if they miss one it won't work.

You need to walk them through: go to the Award Shopping tab and enter to and from cities (O&D search). Must add TPE connecting location. Then must click on More Options and then SkyMiles/Direct Access. Then and only then Find. If they leave anything out, it won't work.

Even when they price it out done this way the miles price get will be additive and incorrect. They need to ignore that and go to ticket (a good agent should know the unpublished award chart pricing and the routing rules applicable, and what it'll really price it out as). It will price it out correctly as a through fare when ticketed, but only if they did all the steps right.

That's the O&D method. There is also a segment by segment method, but I am not sure if that works in the GUI or only in the command-line system.

BTW, this is obviously working as DL intends - to overcharge customers left and right. That's why it's not getting fixed for ages, as it's this way (broken and a major hassle to get it booked "correctly" and agents untrained on this well known major issue) on purpose, that much is clear. So if anything DL may punish the agent who did it for you "correctly" and reward the ones who wanted to sell you the additive price or two separate tickets, as that is what DL clearly wants them to do.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:12 pm

Deleted

Last edited by sleuth; Sep 4, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth

LOL. I actually did read your instructions from a previous post to the first agent. She didn’t appreciate me questioning her 21 years of experience. GTS agent wasn’t interested in being schooled either. They just don’t want to accept that some frequent fliers know their game better than they do.

But you’re right, DL just want to grab as many miles as they can out of us. Just searched ATL-XXX and then filtered it to just ICN as the connecting point on Delta.com and it only gives the DL flight connecting to KE at 215k miles, despite the fact that KE36 has one O seat available on the day I’m searching for 85k. It won’t display a KE to KE connection.

Sad. I’m burning my last 300k and quitting the skymiles nonsense. I had over one million skymiles at one point.

It is. I am seeing the base (lowest possible) pricing inflated tremendously on DL flights. What used to be 35K one way now is 120K one way (or 240K RT, no such thing as an RT discount), for example. That's 3.4 times devaluation in just the last few years. Even the very best case scenarios are 2 times devaluation on SkyTeam flights That is at best, on some specific routes where DL doesn't fly. I am measuring it from when the award chart was last published to now (yes, I have it saved, for all the zones - got to it before DL made archive.org pull it offline).

DL SkyMiles is not much off from Venezuela when it comes to currency devaluation.

And it's made so much worse by the very sly and unethical way how DL conducts business.

BTW, I had the same experience as you recently. KE to KE connection that was available for individual flights, but just wouldn't come up - DL would only show its own flight to NRT tripling the price...had a fresh agent in CVG who was somehow able to get it and have it priced correctly in the end. It's gotten so bad that just something working how it should and used to, even though it's costing double or more what it was before and costs with other FFPs, counts as a victory and success.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:56 pm

Deleted

Last edited by sleuth; Sep 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:12 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So I've been lucky in getting some more last minute (2-4 weeks out) award tickets from LAX-TPE-LAX. Outbound in Z via SFO 85k and just got the return in Y nonstop for 35k.

Any special seats I can get in Y? Is it worth a call? Any ideas of buy ups/upgrades on my return?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Contemplating a JFK-TPE-SIN flight on China Airlines and curious if there are any hoops I'll have to jump through to get the MQM credits?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:06 am

trouble booking china airlines with skymiles?

I've been trying to book an award flight on china airlines and on the delta website it says there's availability but once i enter payment info, it just gives me an error saying they're sold out. I call a delta rep and they essentially told me that china airlines update delta on its award inventory and so although seats aren't available, it shows as it is available. Has anyone heard anything about this? I tried booking multiple days and none of it worked.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:44 am

I've had this in the past but I've recently booked 3 different flights with Delta miles on China Airlines without issues. Never got that issue including on biz flights. Inventory does seem to change quickly though, so I've been checking back a lot to see if I can get something better than I have already booked (nice thing about free redeposits asa PM/DM). I got my one connecting flight now on a nonstop instead. Hoping a biz seat on the nonstop opens up....the connecting biz seat comes and goes fast but requires an overnight in SFO....
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:46 am

Should be nothing you need to do, just remember they are lower "tier" so you get less miles on purchased tickets compared to say Korean/Virgins/KLM/AF etc. I always check the earnings page to make sure I understand what I'll get and make sure to know the booking classes.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Try calling DL. Have your preferred flight numbers ready. If you have ExpertFlyer, check availability there as well.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Contemplating a JFK-TPE-SIN flight on China Airlines and curious if there are any hoops I'll have to jump through to get the MQM credits?
You will have no problem. You will receive SM, MQM, and MQD based on the class and distance flown. Check out the DL website under "Earn Mileage" via Airline Partners.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:55 pm

Thanks! Very sneaky Delta....... go to the Award Shopping tab and enter to and from cities (O&D search). Must add TPE connecting location. Then must click on More Options and then SkyMiles/Direct Access. Then and only then Find. If they leave anything out, it won't work.

Even when they price it out done this way the miles price get will be additive and incorrect. They need to ignore that and go to ticket (a good agent should know the unpublished award chart pricing and the routing rules applicable, and what it'll really price it out as). It will price it out correctly as a through fare when ticketed, but only if they did all the steps right.

That's the O&D method.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
It's just poor training of the DL agents, unfortunately.

For CI flights connecting in TPE some can do it segment by segment, but the way they are supposed to do it is (you pretty much have to tell them and walk them through it step by step, as DL doesn't really train its staff) an O&D search, but with several extra steps, where if they miss one it won't work.

You need to walk them through: go to the Award Shopping tab and enter to and from cities (O&D search). Must add TPE connecting location. Then must click on More Options and then SkyMiles/Direct Access. Then and only then Find. If they leave anything out, it won't work.

That's the O&D method. There is also a segment by segment method, but I am not sure if that works in the GUI or only in the command-line system.

BTW, this is obviously working as DL intends - to overcharge customers left and right. That's why it's not getting fixed for ages, as it's this way (broken and a major hassle to get it booked "correctly" and agents untrained on this well known major issue) on purpose, that much is clear. So if anything DL may punish the agent who did it for you "correctly" and reward the ones who wanted to sell you the additive price or two separate tickets, as that is what DL clearly wants them to do.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:58 pm

Hate to be that person with a middle name question but, alas, here I am. Have upcoming booking on CI booked with sky miles, JFK-TPE. After entering my first name the Delta agent was only able to get the first five letters on my middle name into the Given name boxes. The secure flight info includes my complete name. Does anybody foresee problems for me when I get to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.