Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2002, 8:30 pm

Location: Los Angeles; DL PM; CO PE; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Diamond
WHAT??? China Air???? What's the deal with SkyTeam? There's not enough Xanex on God's green earth to get me onto that non-regulated piece of tin. This may be the final straw to make the switch to United next year.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:17 pm

Has anyone used their DL miles for free flights on China Airlines? How hard it it?

Has anyone used their DL miles for free flights on China Airlines? How hard it it?

Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:42 pm

DL apparently ditched CI due to its abysmal safety record, yet it's still listed as a partner on the website. What exactly is the nature of DL/CI cooperation?

------------------
Stronger than Airbus, Faster than Airbus, Bigger than Airbus... BETTER than Airbus!
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:33 am

This was the last I had heard about it...

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...27/daily6.html
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:27 pm

They ditched the code share, but not the frequent flyer tie in. Looks like you can redeem, but not earn. China Airlines Awards

[This message has been edited by ATLJV (edited 09-13-2002).]
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLJV:
They ditched the code share, but not the frequent flyer tie in. Looks like you can redeem, but not earn. </font>

Translation:
you can unload excess SkyMiles off of us, then die.... but you cant pay and expect to get miles from us before ya die

------------------
Stronger than Airbus, Faster than Airbus, Bigger than Airbus... BETTER than Airbus!
Old May 17, 2003, 9:12 am

China Airlines Begins Codeshare on Delta

Effective June 1, 2003, China Airlines (CI) will be placing their code on six Delta round trip operated domestic markets.

* The CI code will be on Delta operated service between LAX and ATL, CVG, DFW, SLC, TPA; SFO and ATL.
* Schedules were loaded May 15.

Note: China Airlines is already a member of Delta's SkyMiles Program.

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply.www.delta.com/email
Old May 17, 2003, 6:12 pm

Hopefully their safety record has improved since their last fatal a year ago (when Delta put a halt to making them a partner). They have had 10 fatal events since 1970, slightly worse than Korean Air (another Delta partner) at seven. It's amazing an airline with such a great safety record and safety orientation as Delta seems to marry up with these loser foreign airlines. Suggest DL flyers first view airsafe.com to read up on these airlines when they are thinking of booking.
Old May 17, 2003, 10:18 pm

I thought that international carriers weren't allow to carry passengers on domestic-only flights?

Jeff
Old May 17, 2003, 11:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
I thought that international carriers weren't allow to carry passengers on domestic-only flights?

Jeff
</font>
they aren't-- CI won't be selling tickets to LAX-ATL-only passengers. but this way someone in China booking a CI ticket to LAX can connect to DL at LAX more "seamlessly".

Old May 17, 2003, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
re: Airline Safety
re: Carrying passengers domestically

These are DELTA operated flights.
Old May 18, 2003, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Plat, AX Plat, Avis PC, RCL Emerald
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
they aren't-- CI won't be selling tickets to LAX-ATL-only passengers. but this way someone in China booking a CI ticket to LAX can connect to DL at LAX more "seamlessly".

</font>
It is going to pretty hard for someone in China to booking CI to fly to LAX considering CI is a Taiwanese airline and does not fly to China. CI is the national airline for Taiwan not China.
Old May 18, 2003, 11:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ShadowHHI:
It is going to pretty hard for someone in China to booking CI to fly to LAX considering CI is a Taiwanese airline and does not fly to China. CI is the national airline for Taiwan not China.</font>
quack quack. According to both Taiwanese AND Chinese official policies, Taiwan is part of China.

Old May 19, 2003, 5:28 am

Originally posted by ShadowHHI:
It is going to pretty hard for someone in China to booking CI to fly to LAX considering CI is a Taiwanese airline and does not fly to China. CI is the national airline for Taiwan not China.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quack quack. According to both Taiwanese AND Chinese official policies, Taiwan is part of China.

I don't wish to make a political forum with this, but any one who has spent time in China and Taiwan knows that what quack quack says above is indeed "quack quack". That is, the difference between the two countries is huge, and in reality Taiwan is a part of China only in "political speak"

------------------
Richard Laakso PM 2.8MM Starwood platinum
Old May 19, 2003, 9:18 am

But is this codeshare only one way... or is DL actually stupid enough to place its pax on China Airlines as well? *shivers!*

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.