Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching loyalties? AA to DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Gold
As an AA refugee of sorts, I should urge you to stay with AA, however, once you read the Venice meet thread and the Cholula plant tour, you might find you enjoy getting status on DL in spite of the airline! I have not spent a great deal of time at the AA thread so I can't comment on their sartorial splendor or poetic aspirations, but I can assure you this is a fun board from my limited observations as a DL newbie.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
As someone who was top tier on both, I can say that you should stick with AA. I am curious about free upgrades for Plats.... Are those Y/B fares you're getting free upgrades on AA? Otherwise, domestically only EXP gets free upgrades...

If you don't mind connecting (and getting more miles) stick with AA. There's a very nice Admirals Club in the T concourse at ATL too...
Regardless of the frequent flyer program, AA is not a good choice to fly many of these routes. ATL-ORD-RDU?? ATL-ORD-LGA???

By using AA you would easily TRIPLE your travel time on a short segment like ATL-RDU! Between the delays you will inevitably face at ATL plus the MEGA delays you will face connecting through ORD, you could easily blow an entire day trying to fly ATL-RDU.

I don't know about your employer (or what business your in), but I know my employer would not be pleased to hear about me wasting that much time flying circuitous routes. Not to mention the large amount of personal time you may waste...

See if DL will comp you (they might) and give it a try. If you don't like it, there's other options....Airtran's not too bad or maybe NW (at least if you use NW, then on the occasion you might still fly DL, you'd still get credit on NW).
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
EZE Lounge access/Switching from AA

I am considering switching from AA (Plat) to DL (Gold)...but most of my departing flights are out of EZE. If there is indeed no true First Class lounge access for Gold, PM, or BE, then perhaps I am better off with AA?

All the posts I could find about this were old.

The AF lounge is only open a couple of hours in the morning and then 3 more in the afternoon....this will be of no help with the only daily flight to the U.S. at 9:45PM!

On the other hand I am sure I can attain PM status with no problem as it takes 25K fewer miles.

There is also the issue of no other South American carrier partner whereas AA has LAN & TAM.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! My main concern is being able to upgrade to BE on EVERY flight. AA charges $500 for r/t upgrade in addition to the miles! That is the main reason I want to leave them. Sorry...this is my first post...don't know if I should have seperated the questions.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by phlashba
I am considering switching from AA (Plat) to DL (Gold)...but most of my departing flights are out of EZE. If there is indeed no true First Class lounge access for Gold, PM, or BE, then perhaps I am better off with AA?

All the posts I could find about this were old.

The AF lounge is only open a couple of hours in the morning and then 3 more in the afternoon....this will be of no help with the only daily flight to the U.S. at 9:45PM!

On the other hand I am sure I can attain PM status with no problem as it takes 25K fewer miles.

There is also the issue of no other South American carrier partner whereas AA has LAN & TAM.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! My main concern is being able to upgrade to BE on EVERY flight. AA charges $500 for r/t upgrade in addition to the miles! That is the main reason I want to leave them. Sorry...this is my first post...don't know if I should have seperated the questions.
DL Gold Medallions flying coach get ZERO lounge access. Personally, I take AA to/from EZE far more than DL (and if a Plat would do take AA too). Part of the reason is the far more expensive upgrade lottery nonsense with DL than with AA; another reason is AA is better with award and upgrade space than DL for the US-EZE/EZE-US flights; another reason (if DL GM) is the lounge access matter; and another reason is partnerships as you mentioned too.

Even with $250 co-pay for upgrading on AA each way IF using miles (i.e., if using systemwide upgrades that AA gives top-tier elites then there is no-copay applicable at all even on the lowest fares), AA's lowest fare + $500 roundtrip is generally cheaper than DL's lowest upgradeable fare.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL Gold Medallions flying coach get ZERO lounge access. Personally, I take AA to/from EZE far more than DL (and if a Plat would do take AA too). Part of the reason is the far more expensive upgrade lottery nonsense with DL than with AA; another reason is AA is better with award and upgrade space than DL for the US-EZE/EZE-US flights; another reason (if DL GM) is the lounge access matter; and another reason is partnerships as you mentioned too.

Even with $250 co-pay for upgrading on AA each way IF using miles (i.e., if using systemwide upgrades that AA gives top-tier elites then there is no-copay applicable at all even on the lowest fares), AA's lowest fare + $500 roundtrip is generally cheaper than DL's lowest upgradeable fare.
Thanks for the response!

Do you keep the same opinion if I say that I am sure I can reach PM?
75K I can do but 100K would be questionable next year.
So it comes down then to DL PM vs AA Plat.

Thanks again,
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Thanks for the response!

Thanks again,
What's your rationale for switching in the first place? AA has far more service out of EZE than does DL (DL only has one EZE-ATL a day) whereas AA has multiple flights and multiple US gateways and flies bigger planes (777s) thus enhancing your upgrade opportunities....
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks for the response!

Thanks again,
I'd keep the same opinion except under very limited circumstances. Examples of such exception-inducing situations:

If most of what I was interested in doing was upgrading expensive coach fares to business during off-peak days, then maybe it would sway me due to DL's PMUs.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
You don't really give us enough information about your travel to make a good recommendation.

Are you based in EZE?

Do you do domestic U.S. travel?

Do you terminate in ATL very often, or do you never terminate in ATL?

As others have noted, it is still generally cheaper on international flights to fly AA, paying the $500 co-pay on top of the lowest fare and then using miles to upgrade, than it is to buy an upgradeable fare on Delta and use a "free" PMU (systemwide upgrade) that you get as PM. Most Delta upgradeable fares are in the $1800 range -- even for PM's -- and up on long haul international trips. Moreover, Delta is perfectly willing to fly with empty front cabin seats and WILL NOT clear you from a waitlist on the day of departure, even if seats are available. AA will (albeit in a very time consuming, cumbersome, uniquely-AA fashion).

On the other hand, if you are traveling to/from ATL a lot as an origin/destination, then Delta makes a lot of sense given that you don't have to do the AA connections. And projecting down the road 2-3 years, Delta is developing what looks like a very nice new roomy international J seat that will beat the new generation AA J seat, giving DL an AAdvantage there.

It would help a bit to know more about your whole scope of travel before offering any more suggestions or opinions.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'd keep the same opinion except under very limited circumstances. Examples of such exception-inducing situations:

If most of what I was interested in doing was upgrading expensive coach fares to business during off-peak days, then maybe it would sway me due to DL's PMUs.
If I can pay $2000 (more or less in B,or M) r/t EZE-DCA + 50K mi
and always fly on off peak days (with flexibility on dates) can I assume that I will be able to confirm an upgrade at the time of purchase?

Once I reach PM do the upgradeable fares increase to all fares if using a PM upgrade?

THANKS!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
You don't really give us enough information about your travel to make a good recommendation.

Are you based in EZE?

Do you do domestic U.S. travel?

Do you terminate in ATL very often, or do you never terminate in ATL?

As others have noted, it is still generally cheaper on international flights to fly AA, paying the $500 co-pay on top of the lowest fare and then using miles to upgrade, than it is to buy an upgradeable fare on Delta and use a "free" PMU (systemwide upgrade) that you get as PM. Most Delta upgradeable fares are in the $1800 range -- even for PM's -- and up on long haul international trips. Moreover, Delta is perfectly willing to fly with empty front cabin seats and WILL NOT clear you from a waitlist on the day of departure, even if seats are available. AA will (albeit in a very time consuming, cumbersome, uniquely-AA fashion).

On the other hand, if you are traveling to/from ATL a lot as an origin/destination, then Delta makes a lot of sense given that you don't have to do the AA connections. And projecting down the road 2-3 years, Delta is developing what looks like a very nice new roomy international J seat that will beat the new generation AA J seat, giving DL an AAdvantage there.

It would help a bit to know more about your whole scope of travel before offering any more suggestions or opinions.

Yes I am in BA most of the time and I do very little domestic travel. Generally I fly EZE-DCA (shorter by 2 hours on DL) also travel to JFK (but I prefer the layover in MIA to the nonstop so times there are comparable) and BNA. (4 hours shorter on DL).

All my other travel is to Europe or Asia occasionally.

$1800 is about what I normally pay on AA when you include the copay.

The main advantage I see is being able to reach top tier for sure with DL. I am hoping that I would be treated better than AA treats its Plat flyers.

thanks for the help
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAGold, United 2P
Should I switch to DL Silver from AA gold?

Hi guys,
I am currently an AA gold, but am planning to switch to either DL or UA since they serve my hometown airport. First, does anyone know if delta will do a straight status match or are they still offering challenges similar to aa? Second, since most of the routes I will fly (if i choose delta) will include SLC-EWR/JFK and ATL-BDL, will I have a decent shot at upgrading on those flights as a lowly silver (i usually fly Saturday and Sundays)? Although I would love to have unlimited free upgrades, I'd be better off in ua E+ if I'll rarely be upgraded...Thx
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold, Avis First, Delta Gold
def on sat. u should have a better than 75% chance of upgrading. sun afternoon is another story.

ive been flying AA alot unfortunately recently (and in the past) and would recommend switching to DL, as i already have started to do.

the service on AA, especially in premium class where people expect gracious and welcoming experiences, has deteriorated tremendously over the past couple of months/year.

now that DL is getting their act together (a la no more wine in plastic cups, more choices for domestic meal entrees, better IFE etc.) i would definitely recc. DL and ill be doing the same by marking my vote with my $$$ and premium business.

best of luck!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The only upgrade I've ever missed on a Saturday was a LAS-ATL route. About 25 other times, I've always cleared my upgrade as a Silver.

Sunday afternoons are a different story...hitting about 50% there for afternoon flights, but am doing pretty good in the mornings before business travellers start to leave.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
IMO, you'll be far better off on DL as Silver than on AA as Gold. AA Gold isn't worth a lot; it seems to be difficult to get upgrades. I don't think you'd regret switching to DL.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Thumbs down Switch from AA to DL ? Not for me...

As a top tier AA passenger who collects American Express miles unredeemable on AA, I periodically travel F or J on DL award tickets. While I regularly gripe about AA mishaps, complain and consider switching to another "better" alliance which would give me equivalent status, I have definitely decided that DL is not for me:

Travelling in F from JFK to Las Vegas and back this week, I found their F catering to be (even) more horrible than AA's. My request for a cheese plate or sandwich from the Y for sale menu was granted (nothing great either) against payment; AA will often comp it in lieu of the F meal. The seat headset wiring on the 757 was defective, and on-demand video/audio on the 737 had absolutely nothing in common with the listings. The F male flight attendant was a bully straight out of "Blood Diamond" the movie with De Caprio, diamond in ear and dandruff on clothes included, clad into pants and a sweater 3 sizes too small (ever seen spandex on a bear ?) but far too aristocratic to take coats and say anything else than "Don't aks again, just wait", He thankfully disappeared in the back and was replaced after another passenger complained. Baggage delivery both in LAS and JFK inacceptably long... All in all, two bad flights.

Maybe, just maybe, American is not THAT bad in retrospect... ?

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Jan 6, 2008 at 6:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.