Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Old Apr 9, 2003, 5:37 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Setjet:
Currently there is a very interesting Delta Skymiles Promotion running. If you are an existing Skymiles member and you refer up to five friends you are eligable for 500 miles for each new member who signs up after receiving an email from Delta.

If you are not a member yet you are more than welcome to send me an email and I will forward your email adress to Delta Skymiles who will send you an link to sign up. My email adress is "[email protected]".

You will do me a BIG favour since I just need some 2000 miles to secure my honeymoon-award ticket from Europe to the US! ;-)

Thanks, Peter.

P.s.: Any other ideas how to get the 2000 miles for 'no money' are also more than welcome!

</font>
I've posted this once, but here goes:

Go to Yahoo.com, set up five fake e-mail addresses, with fake names.

Go to the Promotion site and register five fictitious people. The address does not matter, just be sure you attach the appropriate Yahoo! e-mail to each registration.

DL will send a confirmation e-mail to each e-mail address you set-up.

Log into these addresses, click the link, and register as though you were your new fake friend.

In about 8 weeks you should have miles.

Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:19 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
LAOCA, Good one!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA PremEx, AA Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Help! What is best way to use Skymiles for my honeymoon

I have about 180K skymiles and want to use them to go to Europe on my honeymoon - hopefully France, maybe Greece or Ireland. Before I start searching availability for flights on DL or partners, any advice on which are the best partners to try first and chances of availability of award seats (I am 20K short of SkyChoice). I need to leave on Aug 18 or 19 and come back Spet. 2 or 3. DL partners do not seem the best. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Try for two Business Elite seats on Delta, if possible. They will cost you 160,000 SkyMiles, but Delta's BE is definitely better than any of their partners' business classes. If you can't get BE seats to the destinations you want on the dates you want, then search availability on partners.

Bruce
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:22 pm

The DL SkyMiles Partner Award Desk can check all of the partner airlines for you in one call...it's really the only way to check this and remain sane.

With 180k, you have enough for two SkyChoice B/E awards or SkyTeam business class awards...your statement about needing 20k more leads me to believe you are looking for F/C awards at 100k each. What class of service do you want, and from which city will you be departing?

If you are only looking for business class, then Bruce is right (as usual) - go as far as you can on Delta, and pick the most appropriate partner for the rest of the way.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:32 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DFW DL:
your statement about needing 20k more leads me to believe you are looking for F/C awards at 100k each.</font>
No, raven was referring to SkyChoice economy awards at 100K each. Those are a rip-off, especially considering SkySaver Business is only 80K!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:48 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Try for two Business Elite seats on Delta
</font>
Definitely your best bet, good luck and happy travels

Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:48 pm

Depending on how much time you have until D-Day, errrrrrrrr, your wedding/honeymoon, you might want to look into 100K F seats on AF. They might be easier to obtain than 80k skychoice seats. There are some recent threads concerning this.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
Keep in mind once you're in Europe you can easily and cheaply fly around to other countries on really low cost carries such as easyjet and many others. So if you can't get a flight to all your destinations, just book whatever you can and add your own flights on. I've flown easyjet a few times, it's usally $80 or less r/t to fly from london to sereval European destinations.

Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA PremEx, AA Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the responses so far! This definitely helps (trying to both plan a wedding and buy a house in two months, and actually work 10 hours a day, does not leave much time for trip planning). By the way, I am leaving from WAS (DCA/IAD/BWI).
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:20 am

I've just gotten through helping my newly-married brother with this - I gave them Biz Class tix to Europe as their wedding present.

The suggestion to go straight to the partner desk is dead on - they are the people who understand how many options there are. Even though time is a bit short before d-day, you should be able to score 2 Biz Class SkySaver tickets if you're willing to connect. The award will fly you on to another point in Europe, so you could fly DC-Paris-Athens on one 80K award, so long as it's a connection, not a stopover.

Be creative with the gateways - my brother and his wife wanted to fly into Rome and return from Paris. Nonstop Delta flights were long gone, but they are going Atlanta-Munich on Delta/Munich-Rome on Alitalia, and Paris-Miami on Air France/Miami-Atlanta on Delta, and it's working just fine. The key is the long hop - there are a limited number of gateways, even with partners included. Any flights within Europe seem to be pretty easy to get.

Be patient with the phone rep, and if you don't feel like the person is being "creative" enough, just wave off and call back in. For me it took three times, but I finally got someone who was willing to look at all the options.

Also, check back on the itinerary at least every two weeks after you finalize it - there will be lots of flight changes thru the summer and they will not call you. My brother's original return was Paris-Barcelona-Atlanta, but when Delta cancelled the Barcelona-Atlanta flights they routed them Paris-Barcelona-New York-Atlanta. We caught it and revised to keep them on a two leg trip by routing thru Miami.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:23 am

International Newbie Needs Help With Honeymoon...

Hello everyone,

The future Mrs. DelrayChris and I are planning our honeymoon for Summer of 2005. We have decided on Italy and Greece. The trip will require a great deal of planning, airfare wise, and I would like any assistance from those who have experience travelling internationally.

Keep in mind, we are very close to MIA, FLL, and PBI, so our departure airport does not matter.

Here is our preliminary plan:

MIA/PBI/FLL --> FCO (for a week and a half)

FCO --> ATH (for a week or so)

ATH --> MIA/PBI/FLL

Future Mrs. DelrayChris flew to Greece (via Switzerland) and back in Coach last year. I was informed "that will never happen again" As such, we want to fly first/business from MIA/PBI/FLL --> FCO and from ATH --> MIA/PBI/FLL.

By the time we need to purchase our tickets, we estimate we will have over 150,000 Delta SkyMiles.

Any assistance is appreciated!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Congratulations to the future Mrs DelrayChris and to you! ^
I believe there are several options, but it is a bit sad that you will not have 180k miles. If you did, you could take 2 (each 90k) SkyTeam Business class awards and do that whole thing for free. I think you'd use andy ST airline to FCO and then Alitalia to ATH and then any ST airline on the way back.
Now if you want to pay for a ticket and upgrade, be aware that upgrades on ST members is IMHO one of the weakest points of ST. Basically, forget it! The only thing you can upgrade are DL coded flight and operated by DL or AF and in the latter case, not beyond CDG. So you probably want to take the direct DL flight to Rome, then use AZ in Y and then back on the direct DL flight from ATH. Book early. This will set you back by 50k miles. Of course you can use one award and one upgrade, as to make things a bit more complex for the reservation agent. But they are great people

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Jul 12, 2004 at 9:44 am
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Congratulations to the future Mrs DelrayChris and to you! ^
I believe there are several options, but it is a bit sad that you will not have 180k miles. If you did, you could take 2 (each 90k) SkyTeam Business class awards and do that whole thing for free. I think you'd use andy ST airline to FCO and then Alitalia to ATH and then any ST airline on the way back.
Now if you want to pay for a ticket and upgrade, be aware that upgrades on ST members is IMHO one of the weakest points of ST. Basically, forget it! The only thing you can upgrade are DL coded flight and operated by DL or AF and in the latter case, not beyond CDG. So you probably want to take the direct DL flight to Rome, then use AZ in Y and then back on the direct DL flight from ATH. Book early. This will set you back by 50k miles. Of course you can use one award and one upgrade, as to make things a bit more complex for the reservation agent. But they are great people
Thanks =-) We are very excited Thank you also for the insight.. We may be able to work out getting 180k in points as we are paying for the wedding ourselves

The other option we have is to go back to our Amex Plat Charge that we downgraded from some time ago. Now that the Future Mrs. is travelling more we will probably end up doing that...

Now I have to look into the 2-for-1 International Tickets as I have heard conflicting accounts of the "benefit".
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

DelrayChris, please accept my congratulations as well on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon. May you both share plenty of love, happiness, health, wealth and everlasting memories forever more.

Because you have one full year to accumulate SkyMiles for your honeymoon, may I shamelessly plug The Definitive How To Earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Thread, which I suggest you peruse since it offers many ways of earning Delta Air Lines SkyMiles without having to fly?

Additionally, I have used my Delta Air Lines SkyMiles to international destinations not even served by Delta Air Lines, such as Malta, as outlined in my unfinished France (via Concorde?), Malta and Southern Italy trip report. The Delta Air Lines SkyMiles representatives that handle international awards have been very helpful to in answering questions and scheduling award itineraries.

Hopefully I have assisted you in your request, DelrayChris. If you have any further questions, please just ask...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.