Flying Colonel

Old Nov 9, 2000, 3:19 pm

Go to the ORD CR at about 5pm. It'll be standing room only!!

Originally posted by shadow:
Well, they've obviously achieved what they set out to do...I haven't been in a CRC this year, other than ATL, that's been more than 1/3 full. JFK, CVG, MCO, SLC, BOS, LAX, PDX, etc.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 11-08-2000).]
Old Nov 9, 2000, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
One "concession" that Delta made to Flying Colonels almost three years ago was to offer us a 50% discount for Crown Room memberships, instead of the previous complimentary membership. Well, my three year membership is about to expire. Wonder if they will renew the 50% discount price when I need to renew for another three years? Any insights from our Crown Room workers? Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2000, 7:52 am

I got the 50% off and it expires in February.
I think it is a ripoff, and I have flown 0 times on Delta this year. I have over a million miles on Delta and live in Dallas,but when I got 96 flights they refused me Platinum. Well American is four times the size of Delta in Dallas so I am Executive Platinum on American. Their reasoning that people complained come on nobody will buy that. They give 100 times more free memberships through Platinum then through Flying Colonels.
Old Nov 10, 2000, 9:49 am

I have posted previously on this topic. I was a Flying Colonel for years. Then they took it away. Delta used to be the premier airline in the United States. This is one more example of Delta becoming like the old Eastern Airlines.

------------------
speedbird001
Old Mar 6, 2001, 12:03 pm

Why do they bother with Flying Colonel status?

Fact: The only published benefit to flying colonel status (lifetime CRC membership) ended at least four years ago - although the status was still awarded for a short time after the only benefit had ended.

About two years ago, when I asked for replacement baggage tags, I was told by SMS "there is currently no flying colonel program, it is a thing of the past".

So, why does Delta continue to print "FC" on paper tickets and on the in-flight manifest? There must be some associated cost in continuing to track and print this information - and it can't be that it would cost more to get rid of the "FC" than to keep it. Any thoughts?

Old Mar 6, 2001, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
A better topic than "Why do they bother with Flying Colonel Status" might be "Why do they bother with Flying Delta".

Personally, I've basically given up on DL. I'm PM, I've got about 500,000 miles sitting in my account -- but I'm sick of the dilution and lack of respect by the employees.

Most of the front line guys are great, but they're also powerless.

Flying Colonel was a great way of recognising really important customers back when DL cared about doing that sort of thing. But, like so much else with DL, it's now a thing of the past.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Simply Good Business
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:24 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
That little FC in my FF account has helped. Some of the old timers see it and when nothing is going right, once in a while they tend to let you be treated like you should.

Once there were several of us waiting to get on a flight and the counter person told me that as I was PM and FC, I won hands up.

I say keep it there in case it works once in 5 years. At the same time, I now fly on other airlines when ever the fare is cheaper. DL just beat CO and UA by 75% on a Transatlantic, so who knows, maybe it will help again.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:56 pm

JRF is right on point. FC can be a tiebreaker for upgrades etc. DL says the 3 criteria are FF status, fare, and travel problems (e.g. an earlier flight cancelled.)
Of these 3, it's not clear (at least to me) what's most important, but I suspect that FF staus comes in close to last (e.g. a GM on full fare coach probably has a higher priority than a PM on a discount.) Nevertheless, FF status does matter, particularly when the other two are tied.

Within FF , it appears to first be medallion level, then MM (unforunately, apparently without regard to the number of M's) and and then FC, which has made a difference for me on those occasions when there's been another PM/MM.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Why keep the FC around?

If they took it away, we would probably start another web site and call the newspapers and our mother and the IRS and the FCC and the FAA.

They cann't do that to us. We did not ask DL to do that!!

Seriously, it costs almost nothing and we feel better. In time, we will all die or go to other airlines, then they can drop it.

Maybe I convince some new gate agent that the FC means FC (for life) or something like that??
Old Mar 20, 2002, 7:29 am

Location: DL MM & FC, Hertz Plat, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Is Flying Colonel Dead Forever??

I lived in MEM in the 80’s and 90’s. My serious air travel began with Southern Airways. That was a great regional carrier with coast-to-coast service. NW ruined that in the acquisition. Shortly after, NW made MEM one of their major hubs and ruined a great airport; thus the reason for me switching to DL shortly after.

Since DL only had four gates in MEM they went out of their way to accommodate any serious business traveler that aligned their travel with them. They even had a nice sized Crown Room. I made my first million miles with DL along about the same time I was awarded the Flying Colonel status for my support of DL by their local marketing department. The local marketing manager would take each FC out for lunch at least once a quarter and also sponsored an FC and Medallion status golf tournament in the spring and fall. The FC’s would always be invited to attend DL’s hospitality area for any event that they participated in, i.e. FedEx St. Jude Golf Classic.

Along with the FC status came the complementary Crown Room membership for both you and your spouse. It also gave you an additional status checkpoint for space available upgrades. When they took away the Crown Room privileges in the early 90’s all of that went away. Now all I see is it posted on my statements, and on the flight passenger manifest.

Is there anything left of the FC program?

Old Mar 20, 2002, 8:12 am

My guess is that (for some reason) they cannot figure out how to get "FC" off of both the manifest and your statements. Do you know how much ink and therefore revenue they are losing printing those two letters!?

I think the answer to your question (sadly) is no.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Stick it with a fork...It's done. UNLESS you still have something in writing regarding the LIFETIME CR. This has been a major thorn in my side since they took away the CR.

Yes, I am Plat. But someday (sooner than later) I will retire and my flying will be less. I am spoiled by the CR and WANT THE LIFETIME CR BACK. I cannot find any written rferences to it in my papers.

Hopefully you can help
Old Mar 20, 2002, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I suppose they could get the letters off, but then a bunch of us retired "Colonels" would complain that we have been demoted even more.

Other than thinking we are important, I can not see any value in membership in this club anymore. Maybe some employees see it and treat you just a little bit better.

As to finding any paper with the "Lifetime Crown Room" membership, not sure I would waste the time. After all, they can always change the rules, which of course they have.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 10:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Disrespect for your best, longtime customers = Simply Good Business

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
After all, they can always change the rules, which of course they have.</font>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.