Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Sorry if this is asked and answered, but when you use a voucher gained from VDB, do you earn MQDs and MQMs?
Yes and yes.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL FO
last week JFK-SFO my husband and i were traveling on the 7:30pm flight and it was over. approached the GA with an extra copy of our boarding passes and asked for $800. waited till boarded was almost over and they only needed one of us so i flew. husband was put up in the jfk crowne plaza and given $1,000 because he had to wait about 20min after the flight closed for the red coat to issue the comp, which was deposited directly into his SM account. not bad for his first bump!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Vincent Charretier
No no, I'm at the gate !
Looks like 16 pax are still waiting for a seat so they will need us.
The GA offered 2 seats on the 18:46 flight so 3 hours late if they need us.
Boarding has started and I was told to wait, I think we are the #1 volunteers.
So finally, we both flew !
They only needed one and asked if we wanted to split, wich was not an option.
We boarded very last and they took our luggage (they did it for the last 30+ pax). 5-6 stand-by couldn't board.
Good flight anyway, as I had a window seat and my wife an aisle.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
This family managed $11,000 - may have set a new record!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#41227beb4de1
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by langbr01
This family managed $11,000 - may have set a new record!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#41227beb4de1
​​​​​​
MEH

Family of three over multiple VDBs will add up.

If one VDB my family of 4 scored $2000 each on a VDB TATL 2009

For one single trip, multiple VDBs let see her top $6500 DTW MSY (NW) 1998.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Just used residual VDB e-credit for my first booking that includes a companion. Can't do it online, but it was easy enough over the phone. Second pax info auto-populated when I told the rep my spouse's SM number, and I also had to confirm her full name. Ticket issued, but as soon as I hung up, I saw that the last letter of her middle name was missing.

Called back immediately, told it would be a simple reissue. 5 minutes later, "Sorry, this is taking longer than usual, shouldn't be much longer." About 20 minutes later, "Sorry, still working on it." After 43 minutes, the rep finally told me that neither she nor two supervisors were able to update the name. Even removing the SM field did not allow any manual name change for a ticket reissue. She also confirmed that using an SM number to auto-populate the name to begin with should always produce a 100% accurate match and that the system normally disallows any deviation.

The punchline: After all the time spent over one letter, the ticket has to be reissued at the airport. Apparently they have ticketing capabilities that even the highest level of call center supes don't have. Is that really true for a simple 006 ticket on DL metal?

Even worse, when I got over the initial frustration and said fine, I'll leave some extra time at the airport, the rep corrected me: "No, the other passenger has to bring her ID and do it." Great, so now it's my wife's problem.

Look, I'm sure it won't take too long to get this done (knock on wood), and there are ample opportunities between now and the travel date. I still fully intend for us to do the right thing and guarantee an exact name match (even on a domestic ticket) just in case TSA feels feisty. But on principle this all seems so dumb and consumer-unfriendly.

Anyone else have experience with this phenomenon on e-credit transactions and getting it corrected? Also, will it get more difficult once it's more than 24 hours past the original time of ticketing, or is that not a factor?

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Apr 16, 2017 at 1:09 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Just used residual VDB e-credit for my first booking that includes a companion. Can't do it online, but it was easy enough over the phone. Second pax info auto-populated when I told the rep my spouse's SM number, and I also had to confirm her full name. Ticket issued, but as soon as I hung up, I saw that the last letter of her middle name was missing.

Called back immediately, told it would be a simple reissue. 5 minutes later, "Sorry, this is taking longer than usual, shouldn't be much longer." About 20 minutes later, "Sorry, still working on it." After 43 minutes, the rep finally told me that neither she nor two supervisors were able to update the name. Even removing the SM field did not allow any manual name change for a ticket reissue. She also confirmed that using an SM number to auto-populate the name to begin with should always produce a 100% accurate match and that the system normally disallows any deviation.

The punchline: After all the time spent over one letter, the ticket has to be reissued at the airport. Apparently they have ticketing capabilities that even the highest level of call center supes don't have. Is that really true for a simple 006 ticket on DL metal?

Even worse, when I got over the initial frustration and said fine, I'll leave some extra time at the airport, the rep corrected me: "No, the other passenger has to bring her ID and do it." Great, so now it's my wife's problem.

Look, I'm sure it won't take too long to get this done (knock on wood), and there are ample opportunities between now and the travel date. I still fully intend for us to do the right thing and guarantee an exact name match (even on a domestic ticket) just in case TSA feels feisty. But on principle this all seems so dumb and consumer-unfriendly.

Anyone else have experience with this phenomenon on e-credit transactions and getting it corrected? Also, will it get more difficult once it's more than 24 hours past the original time of ticketing, or is that not a factor?
No, have not had this issue. I was able to get a friend's ticket reissued no problem with an ECV on the ticket after 1 of the letters in his first name was wrong. Agents on phone tried to push it to the airport, but we were starting in Germany at a non-DL hub and I didn't wanna deal with it there.

After making this point, it took them almost an hour and they reissued it over the phone.

However, that was my friend's first name. To my knowledge, only the first and last name must be an exact match. TSA doesn't look at middle - and even if an agent does, I doubt they will notice the truncated last letter. I think you are overworrying.

If I were your wife I would be confident using an electronic BP for TSA and not even dealing with ticketing at the airport.

If its still within Risk Free Cancel, why don't you cancel and rebook? When you cancel, the ECV money goes back on instantly for immediate reuse.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
To my knowledge, only the first and last name must be an exact match. TSA doesn't look at middle - and even if an agent does, I doubt they will notice the truncated last letter. I think you are overworrying.
Thanks, I most definitely do tend to overworry. Already past the Risk-Free Cancel window at this point, so guess I'll see what we can do at the airport or just let it ride.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
So.....last night PHX/SEA overheard a distressed lady on standby talking to GA trying to get home because of a car accident and spouse in hospital. Flight full. Announcements start at $300 then go to $500. No takers. Guilt setting in. Board my flight sitting in D5. GA comes on and offers $800. No takers. Major guilt. I get up and give up my seat. Distressed lady thanks me profusely. GA thanks me as well and noticed I'm a DM and issues me a $1000 voucher and books me in F on both legs PHX/SLC/SEA.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Saj8986
So.....last night PHX/SEA overheard a distressed lady on standby talking to GA trying to get home because of a car accident and spouse in hospital. Flight full. Announcements start at $300 then go to $500. No takers. Guilt setting in. Board my flight sitting in D5. GA comes on and offers $800. No takers. Major guilt. I get up and give up my seat. Distressed lady thanks me profusely. GA thanks me as well and noticed I'm a DM and issues me a $1000 voucher and books me in F on both legs PHX/SLC/SEA.
The $1000 voucher could only be used on Delta future flights?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Just got $500VDB plus vouchers for $15 for lunch and $15 for dinner to take a bump on the 11:15am ICT-ATL flight. Oversold by 1, everyone showed. I'm on the later non-stop.

I put $500 bid online when I volunteered, not sure if anyone else volunteered or she took me because ATL was my dest and no bags or what.

Still have an exit row seat on the next flight. Wife mildly annoyed.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dk240t
Just got $500VDB plus vouchers for $15 for lunch and $15 for dinner to take a bump on the 11:15am ICT-ATL flight. Oversold by 1, everyone showed. I'm on the later non-stop.

I put $500 bid online when I volunteered, not sure if anyone else volunteered or she took me because ATL was my dest and no bags or what.

Still have an exit row seat on the next flight. Wife mildly annoyed.
U were picked Cause you were the Low-Ball bid...@:-)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 pm

Does Delta still issue 'Delta Dollars'.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer
Does Delta still issue 'Delta Dollars'.
Yes--I had a VDB last week in ATL and they were only able to offer Delta Dollars. The gate agent said that ATL hasn't switched to the other system (Amex gift card) for some reason (Seems odd--she admitted the same).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:53 pm

U Got A Raw Deal

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Yes--I had a VDB last week in ATL and they were only able to offer Delta Dollars. The gate agent said that ATL hasn't switched to the other system (Amex gift card) for some reason (Seems odd--she admitted the same).
GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. Yikes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.