Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
There are days that Delta's revenue management system causes me fits, and there are days when it makes me want to kiss Richard Anderson right on the lips.

Was supposed to fly BOS-JFK-LAS with a four hour layover at JFK before boarding flight 2427 to LAS. Called in the night before to SDC to an earlier flight, no problem. I would have to give up seat 2B (and end up in seat not 2B) for a window, but to save a few hours, I could deal. I switched to DL 443, a few hours earlier.

Made it to JFK and got to my gate to board 443 when they announced, you guessed it, they were oversold. Offered $1,000 GC or credit to take a later flight. Naturally, I volunteered.

They put me on the later flight: DL 2427, seat 2B.

Mike
I'm surprised you were able to SDC onto a basically full flight. Load factors don't usually change that much within 24 hours, so if the SDC went through, I would think the new flight isn't full. Perhaps there was a cancellation that created this great situation for you?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
I'm surprised you were able to SDC onto a basically full flight. Load factors don't usually change that much within 24 hours, so if the SDC went through, I would think the new flight isn't full. Perhaps there was a cancellation that created this great situation for you?
I've changed a cheap (T or V) international ticket on Mon/Tue for a flight on Fri only to show up at the airport and get a boarding pass with a seat in J. I was quite surprised that it went from having been availability in my class to being so oversold in just a couple days, but I've found that TATL flights can have many fare buckets available even when they're almost completely oversold.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I've changed a cheap (T or V) international ticket on Mon/Tue for a flight on Fri only to show up at the airport and get a boarding pass with a seat in J. I was quite surprised that it went from having been availability in my class to being so oversold in just a couple days, but I've found that TATL flights can have many fare buckets available even when they're almost completely oversold.
My only DL TATL op-up experience was when they scanned my boarding pass while boarding the plane; do they sometimes make that info available earlier? And on cheap tickets like that, are you paying $200-400 to make that change?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
SDC into F requires only an available F seat. Perhaps Y was oversold (overbooked at the time), with F1 available.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I was too, but I didn't argue!

There was a very large group at the podium while they were doing the VDBs, so my guess, and this is just a guess, is that the seats were open the day before when they SDCed me and that this group somehow absolutely needed to be on this flight, since normally, Delta would have just made them wait and not VDBed anybody. There must have been some serious extenuating circumstances, though.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ktremor
Go a call 16 days ahead of time trying to find volunteers for DL3705 on 2/14/15 from BOS to FLL direct. Agent said they are severely overbooked and offering $300/person or 30000 points/person to reschedule.
I've never gotten notice anywhere near that far in advance. (Come to think of it, I've never gotten a VDB request in advance at all; the earliest was at the check-in counter. Every other time was at the gate.

(I'm not counting "We might need volunteers" at check-in; I'm only counting "We'll pay you $X right now.")
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
I've never gotten notice anywhere near that far in advance. (Come to think of it, I've never gotten a VDB request in advance at all; the earliest was at the check-in counter. Every other time was at the gate.

(I'm not counting "We might need volunteers" at check-in; I'm only counting "We'll pay you $X right now.")
About 2 years got a call from a ticket agent in Phoenix about 3 hours before my flight asking if he could rebook me with a different connection. No $s but he guaranteed upgrades on both legs (I had only been upgraded on 1 leg of the original itin). And I think it actually got me back to DCA about 15 minutes earlier.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Today last DEN-SEA flight on E175, asking for volunteers on the plane for next AM flight. Hotel, meal vouchers, and $1300 DL dollars.

Notes:
- Apparently meal vouchers exist if DL wants them to
- No GC's, just DL $$
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Today last DEN-SEA flight on E175, asking for volunteers on the plane for next AM flight. Hotel, meal vouchers, and $1300 DL dollars.

Notes:
- Apparently meal vouchers exist if DL wants them to
- No GC's, just DL $$
Yes, meal vouchers can easily be generated should the agent choose to do so.

Agents have also told me that they are not authorized to go above $1300.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Yes, meal vouchers can easily be generated should the agent choose to do so.

Agents have also told me that they are not authorized to go above $1300.
Gate Agents or Redcoats?

I've also heard the $1300 max for domestic flights.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
After just having a "cluster" on a mileage run, I have a question on your experiences on getting the MQM equivalent of ORC.

1. After rerouting to a more direct route, do you have success getting MQM credit for the original route?
2. If your reroute shows rebooking in Y-bucket, do you still get MQM based on your original fare bucket? How about if they reissue to a new ticket (often has a "stored ticket" with the original "fare ladder")
3. If the reroute is on another carrier, especially with another alliance, are you successful in getting MQM for it?

Waiting for my flights to post. One reroute flight posted in my activity, but when I checked back a few hours later, it was gone - both miles and segment count.
Wishing Kevin was still around...

Per the ORC thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...thread-33.html it looks hopeful...

Last edited by flyzabit; Aug 9, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyzabit
After just having a "cluster" on a mileage run, I have a question on your experiences on getting the MQM equivalent of ORC.

1. After rerouting to a more direct route, do you have success getting MQM credit for the original route?
2. If your reroute shows rebooking in Y-bucket, do you still get MQM based on your original fare bucket? How about if they reissue to a new ticket (often has a "stored ticket" with the original "fare ladder")
3. If the reroute is on another carrier, especially with another alliance, are you successful in getting MQM for it?

Waiting for my flights to post. One reroute flight posted in my activity, but when I checked back a few hours later, it was gone - both miles and segment count.
If you were rebooked for MX on DL, you should certainly get ORC for everything. WX, probably. Otherwise, what happened to cause the rebooking?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

If rebooked on DL or Skyteam partner, then generally they give you the choice of either ORC or rebooked flights. You'll have to call if you want ORC since the rebooked flights will appear automatically like any other flown segment.

If rebooked onto a non-Skyteam partner normally you can get miles with both the operating airline, and by calling DL and asking for ORC. Don't mention that you got miles from the operating airline, or they may deny your request. You won't get credit based on the routing you flew, only the original routing.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by sethb
If you were rebooked for MX on DL, you should certainly get ORC for everything. WX, probably. Otherwise, what happened to cause the rebooking?
With 6 flights, it was a mixture - cascading - and 3 tickets by the time I got done. Final flight on OA is marked "involuntary reroute", so I'm hopeful.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 6 flights, it was a mixture - cascading - and 3 tickets by the time I got done. Final flight on OA is marked "involuntary reroute", so I'm hopeful.
You should definitely get ORC. Call and ask politely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.