Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lovefly88
No F. Single class on a regional plane.

ok. Yes it's likely oversold. You can call DL day of and they're required to tell you if it's oversold but really depends on how many people check in and board.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
No F. Single class on a regional plane.
Y2 can be "even" in some cases, meaning the airline is willing to oversell 2 seats. On UA's app, for instance, you can see in some cases that the flight is showing full (when checking flight status a couple days prior to departure), even though you will see Y>0 when searching for inventory.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Y2 can be "even" in some cases, meaning the airline is willing to oversell 2 seats. On UA's app, for instance, you can see in some cases that the flight is showing full (when checking flight status a couple days prior to departure), even though you will see Y>0 when searching for inventory.

The flight I was able to get is not available even for purchase anymore. I'm curious if that means it's dead even and they don't oversell all flights or if it gets to the point where they stop selling tickets it means that it's over by 10. Any insight?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
I believe the IRS considers the purchase of an airline ticket a contract for carriage between locations PLUS the potential for another flight if the airline fails to provide the original flight. It is seen by the IRS as a "bundle of services", thus any compensation provided is part of that bundle and thus not taxable.

This article explains it pretty well:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ation-taxable/
Very interesting, never read this before, thanks!
Old May 1, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
The flight I was able to get is not available even for purchase anymore. I'm curious if that means it's dead even and they don't oversell all flights or if it gets to the point where they stop selling tickets it means that it's over by 10. Any insight?
If the flight is more than 2 days away, it is likely oversold if they are not selling seats. If it's day of departure.... more than likely even at best... possibly oversold. If Y=0, it is at the very least completely sold out.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:20 am

3/4 flights DL was dead on the money. Every seat taken. No VDB.
Today DTW-SWF 2 over - $400 pp.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked in at IAH yesterday for IAH-ATL-RDU. The machine said ATL-RDU was oversold, I put in a bid of $200. I got to ATL, went to the SC, then got to the gate 5 minutes before boarding. I asked if they still needed me and they said they'd made their own announcement for volunteers. Kind of makes you wonder what the point of bidding at the machine is.

As it was they took one person that they made an announcement for on the plane. Not sure how much she got.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
Checked in at IAH yesterday for IAH-ATL-RDU. The machine said ATL-RDU was oversold, I put in a bid of $200. I got to ATL, went to the SC, then got to the gate 5 minutes before boarding. I asked if they still needed me and they said they'd made their own announcement for volunteers. Kind of makes you wonder what the point of bidding at the machine is.

As it was they took one person that they made an announcement for on the plane. Not sure how much she got.
Depends on what time you got to the counter before boarding started. If they know they are oversold, they usually prefer to secure VDBs sooner (e.g. 30min before boarding) to avoid last minute shuffles.

Earlier you get to the gate and confirm with the GA know you are willing to VDB, they are more likely to bypass the list to give it to you since you are already waiting near the counter. It's less work for them.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

Would be much better if the airline just made an initial minimum offer at check-in and then deal with the bidding war at the gate if they don't have enough volunteers from the check-in kiosks. Then they can raise the offers up.

The GA's probably had it sorted out before you were able to connect into your gate. My VDB chances reduce dramatically if I'm not able to make it to the gate 60 minutes or more prior to departure.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Two examples to share:

1) Last year, I took a bump when IAH-DTW was oversold by 2. I bid $500 at check-in. But I approached the gate agent about an hour before departure and specifically volunteered to take a bump. She then made an announcement "needing 1 [more] volunteer."

2) On a different day, I also bid $500 on DTW-IAH at check-in. I flew my first segment, went to the Sky Club, and forgot all about it. I boarded near the end of the line. Then, the gate agent came on board and asked just me if I was still interested in $500. I declined so she made an announcement and got a volunteer.

Conclusions are they DO use the check-in list IF they need to, and that asking at the gate helps your chances.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Today PIT-DTW oversold by 4 or 5. We each got $900 travel voucher and I got Marriott + amenity kit + 3x $15 meal vouchers and 1st class (F with 100% MQM bonus when originally on Q fare) to PDX (PIT-MSP-PDX) tomorrow morning. I was only in C+ on both of today's flights.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; May 12, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
$11,000 in VDB compensation

For a family of 3, and multiple bumps on same trip:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airl...g-compensation

The following is peculiar, though:

"At first, Bloom says she ignored the offer, but once an announcement for $900 per seat was made, her husband approached the agent to say that he, his wife, and their 4-year old daughter would be willing to give up their seats for $1,500 a piece. The agent made a counteroffer of $1,350, which is the maximum amount an airline is able to compensate a passenger under U.S. law."

$1350 is the maximum that the airline could be required to pay for an IDB, not the maximum that is is allowed to pay under US law.

So, does this reflect:

1) an ill-trained or disingenuous GA, or

2) a misunderstanding by the PAX?

Either way, the statement as it appears in the article is careless "journalism." The author is passing on misinformation. Something he could have avoided by following his own link to the DOT web site and reading for comprehension.

A pet peeve of mine... travel articles too frequently contain misinformation, misconceptions, and/or B.S.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer
GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. How much did ya get in Delta Dollars?
Originally Posted by Ventures
I volunteered to be bumped off an international Delta flight over the weekend from a business class seat. I know that compensation varies, but was wonderring what kind of compensation others have gotten. Rather than stay in Europe overnight, I had then re-route me through another European city and was sent there in economy and back to the US in business.
What did Delta give you?
Old May 26, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
May 25 LAX-PDX. Asking for 6 volunteers. In the end only needed one and I was it. $500 AMEX gift card, $15 meal voucher, hotel (Fairfield Inn) and rebooked in F on May 26. May 26: looked like the flight was oversold so I went to podium early and offered to volunteer. This time they ended up needing three. $500 AMEX + $15 meal voucher + booked in F three hours later. I did offer on the 3rd flight (it was 100% full, but not overbooked), but wasn't needed.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
ATL was a nightmare today. Booked ORF-ATL-SEA-PSC, 2 hours before departure got a call for $200 voucher or 20,000 sky miles for later flight that got in sooner due to overbooked ATL-SEA leg. On rebooked ATL-SLC leg, got $800 voucher to spend night in SLC. There wer about 25 on the standby list. On shuttle to Residence Inn everyone had at least one bump out of SLC, some with two bumps.

Sooo, how does Delta decide who to call offering bumps? This was the first time I got a call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.