Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well done! Which hotel did they put you in? My last bump in DAL I ended up at this awful Crowne Plaza nearby, the only negative part of said bump.
My last Delta bump I think I was in the same one. The complimentary razor darn near destroyed my face! Next time I'll just allow myself the five o'clock shadow. At least they accepted the certificates for breakfast.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
My first flight on DL in almost 6 years and I scored a nice VDB. Mrs. Moore and myself scored $400 each on DL855 SLC-DEN, which was -5. DL4526 was 2hr delayed, and we were both put in EC (originally booked in first). Got in at the same time as originally scheduled flight. Haven't scored one this easy in a while.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by jjmoore
My first flight on DL in almost 6 years and I scored a nice VDB. Mrs. Moore and myself scored $400 each on DL855 SLC-DEN, which was -5. DL4526 was 2hr delayed, and we were both put in EC (originally booked in first). Got in at the same time as originally scheduled flight. Haven't scored one this easy in a while.
I'm confused. Does this mean you bought FC tickets and you got paid $400 to fly home in coach instead? Or does it mean they almost put you into FC on the new flight, but then didn't?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Howste
I'm confused. Does this mean you bought FC tickets and you got paid $400 to fly home in coach instead? Or does it mean they almost put you into FC on the new flight, but then didn't?
We paid $140 each for FC ... rebooked into EC since F was full. For a 55 minute flight, this was a no-brainer. Got row 5 on a CR9... and free beer. My $280 investment returned $800... we were both thrilled with the result.

This is the first VDB I have done in at least a couple years where I didn't have to sacrifice time. Almost always 4+ hours delayed arrival when doing VDB.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Sounds like a win.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Scored a nice win last Thursday in LAX.

Flight from LAX to AUS was oversold. Last flight of the day.

$800 Choice of benefit (Amex, flight credit, Amazon, ...)
room at the Sheraton Gateway
First Class on the 8:30 flight in the morning

Not bad for 12 hours of time.

Could have had another $400 the next morning but the big rainstorm was rolling in and I didn't want to risk it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Howste
Sounds like a win.
Well if getting downgraded out of SEA on a free upgrade nets you $1,000 shouldn't a paid FC downgrade on a CR9 be worth at least $2,000
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Well if getting downgraded out of SEA on a free upgrade nets you $1,000 shouldn't a paid FC downgrade on a CR9 be worth at least $2,000
Downgrade compensation is strictly distance based.... has nothing to do with paid vs. upgrade. Of course if you paid for it, you will get refunded the difference in fare in addition to the conpensation.

In my case, Downgrade comp would have been $200 for a flight less than 1000 miles.

My paid first class fare was so cheap $141 one way a.i. ...... no brainer to downgrade to EC and arrive into Denver at the same time as originally scheduled for $400.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Downgrade compensation is strictly distance based.... has nothing to do with paid vs. upgrade. Of course if you paid for it, you will get refunded the difference in fare in addition to the conpensation.

In my case, Downgrade comp would have been $200 for a flight less than 1000 miles.

My paid first class fare was so cheap $141 one way a.i. ...... no brainer to downgrade to EC and arrive into Denver at the same time as originally scheduled for $400.
I understand, was joking after the $3,000 VDB thread a few days ago.... Pretty good deal.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Had an interesting experience yesterday. Found out at Skyclub my ATL to SAN flight was oversold by a couple. Went to gate early and inquired (first one to do so). Was offered $500 Delta bucks and seat on flight 4 hours later if they ended up needing me. They did ask for additional volunteers and the price went up to $600. Eventually the extra folks were told to board and were given some drink coupons for their trouble.

A short while later and after everyone had boarded they said it didn't look like they'd need me anyway but gave me a cert for $150 Delta bucks for my trouble (first I've ever seen that). Got onto the plane, stored my bag and right after sitting down they came back onboard and asked if I was still interested (yes) so got back off the plane and traded in my $150 delta bucks cert for a $600 one.

I've done the VDB previously (highest was $400 DB before this) but have never been given a cert for waiting around and not being needed. Not sure if this is a new policy or a one off but thought it was pretty cool.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
BTV-LGA (first segment on the way to MSP), early Sunday AM flight, way oversold. BTV-ATL was also overbooked, boarding at the same time and at the same gate. No dollar amount was offered, but I stepped forward a few minutes after the first announcement and got on the list. During boarding, another pax and I were called up to confirm. I asked the amount and terms, and they said, "Same as the ATL flight... so, $1,300." A family of 4 was still IDBd and driven to MHT.

I was rebooked to nonstop BOS-MSP (confirmed in F) and put in a nice Yukon Denali taxi to BOS. We made great time and I was able to SDC to an earlier flight. Arrived just 80 minutes after my original scheduled arrival. Easiest $1,300 ever. ^
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
BTV-LGA (first segment on the way to MSP), early Sunday AM flight, way oversold. BTV-ATL was also overbooked, boarding at the same time and at the same gate. No dollar amount was offered, but I stepped forward a few minutes after the first announcement and got on the list. During boarding, another pax and I were called up to confirm. I asked the amount and terms, and they said, "Same as the ATL flight... so, $1,300." A family of 4 was still IDBd and driven to MHT.

I was rebooked to nonstop BOS-MSP (confirmed in F) and put in a nice Yukon Denali taxi to BOS. We made great time and I was able to SDC to an earlier flight. Arrived just 80 minutes after my original scheduled arrival. Easiest $1,300 ever. ^
Surprised they paid ~$500 for a cab to drive you from LGA to BOS instead of taking the Acela.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hi55us
Surprised they paid ~$500 for a cab to drive you from LGA to BOS instead of taking the Acela.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, VDB was at BTV and taxi was from BTV to BOS. Totally routed away from the NYC area on my trip to MSP. Acela would have been cool in theory, though.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Sitting at a gate to Santiago. Oversold by 14.

First offer $600, six people took it.

Offer is now up to $1000 and hotel and they need six people.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
First time going for a bump with Delta (long time AA flyer) but this time I managed to get a cheap KLM ticket ($450), operated by Delta, from MSP to CDG via ATL. At MSP 400 offered to be bumped, the agent needed two volunteers. At the end they got up to 500 and decided to grab it after confirming they could put me in a MSP-AMS-CDG that arrived 5 minutes before the ATL-CDG segment. Moved from 767 on the ATL-CDG to a 330, which was much nicer.

Overall, nice experience with Delta, I'm considering switching to them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.