Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Renes Points
No. Simpler.
Never mind anyway, I was considering the "extension" angle and not "book for someone else" angle.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:24 pm

got $1000 on 8/11 for giving up my seat on the first direct morning flight from jfk-msy.

as a college student who doesn't make that in a week and had to take off in order to take a vacation...i must say i was pretty ecstatic!

(now i just have to plan all my trips around overbooked flights.)

Last edited by rogerthornhill; Aug 13, 2016 at 9:33 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rogerthornhill
got $1000 on 8/11 for giving up my seat on the first direct morning flight from jfk-msy.

as a college student who doesn't make that in a week and had to take off in order to take a vacation...i must say i was pretty ecstatic!

(now i just have to plan all my trips around overbooked flights.)
I try that, sort of. I'd rather get the most overbooked or emptiest-in-F flights. And it's seldom worth paying up for the most overbooked, RM is pretty good (usually) at avoiding oversells.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
flying LGA-ORD shuttle last Friday. GA announced due to the excessive heat (it was in the high 90s and very humid in NYC) they were looking for 6 VDB volunteers as they couldn't fly the plane full. They didn't know how many seats they needed until the Captain made the call.

GA solicits volunteers at $300 for a flight later tonight. I was #2 to volunteer. Then offer goes up to $400 and finally red coat offers up $600. That was the only way to get all the volunteers they needed.

Ended up needing only 3 volunteers and I was one of the lucky 3. $600 voucher or gift card and rebooked on a flight later same evening.

I overheard another GA for the flight after mine they needed 10-12 volunteers for VDB due to the same capacity issues. THe amount of offer wasn't announced over the intercom but they were offering hotel and flight the following morning.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Tuesday 8/16 all three GRU flights were oversold. Offered $600 VDB Voucher, OR a Business Class Upgrade, at checkin (!) for flying the next night. Said I'd think about it.
Ended up going away with $600 VDB voucher AND Business Class upgrade the next night. Nice to have the Olympics in Brazil!
Very nice GRU staff as well. Marriott GRU airport is a great hotel-- very good food and beverage, and also excellent gym to while away the hours!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Flying on DL 1601 next Friday BOS - ATL - currently only 1 seat remaining in F and Economy is at an extremely expensive M fare, can anyone see if it's likely to be an oversell? Considering showing up to BOS a little earlier to see if they put me on one of the earlier ATL flights.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
This week was flying PSC-SLC-AUS in the evening. PSC-SLC oversold by two so took $400 VDB and went the PSC-SEA-JFK-AUS routing with SEA-JFK redeye. Bonus was meeting DaveTravels in SEA, both of us looking for VDB. They were oversold by 7, 8 no shows. Darn!!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Paplover
This week was flying PSC-SLC-AUS in the evening. PSC-SLC oversold by two so took $400 VDB and went the PSC-SEA-JFK-AUS routing with SEA-JFK redeye. Bonus was meeting DaveTravels in SEA, both of us looking for VDB. They were oversold by 7, 8 no shows. Darn!!
I need picture or video proof that you met Davetravels or it didnt happen.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Flying on DL 1601 next Friday BOS - ATL - currently only 1 seat remaining in F and Economy is at an extremely expensive M fare, can anyone see if it's likely to be an oversell? Considering showing up to BOS a little earlier to see if they put me on one of the earlier ATL flights.
With M tickets now, they might oversell, might not. Only once in several years of VDB hunting have they put me on an earlier flight with a VDB. Expect them to wait to see if they have no shows and actually have to bump someone. If you want the earlier flights, try SDC or SDS, very unusual to get an earlier flight with a VDB.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by dzflyer
But I did. We even sat next to each other in first on the SEA-JFK flight. He is a really nice guy too. First time I met a fellow FT'er on the road.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
At best they'll let you SDC/SDS without a fee for an earlier flight. You're not going to get them to put you on the earlier flight and give you VDB.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Paplover
With M tickets now, they might oversell, might not. Only once in several years of VDB hunting have they put me on an earlier flight with a VDB. Expect them to wait to see if they have no shows and actually have to bump someone. If you want the earlier flights, try SDC or SDS, very unusual to get an earlier flight with a VDB.
To me it sounded like they wanted to leverage the possible oversell into a free SDC at Logan.

If so - good shot. They may or may not waive the fee unless you're eligible for a waiver. But I guess they may overlook the fare class restriction if your flight is over day of. All discretionary, so doesn't hurt (or if you have status just call).
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Davetravels, like Dracula, doesn't show up on film or in mirrors.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I also met davetravels in SEA this week and also missed out on a VDB opportunity. Hmm...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:49 pm

He is usually looking for VDBs from what I could gather. Was it Monday night that you saw him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.