Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Flying LGA-ATL tomorrow DL 1832. When I booked (and on the official schedule) this flight was operated by a B737-900 (180 seats). In mid May Delta swapped in an A319 for this route (126 seats).

Now I see that Delta is only selling Full fare F seats for this flight. No Y or Y+.

Can anyone tell me how many seats this flight is oversold by? I'm thinking it could be significant! I hope it is.. I'll take that VDB please thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
Flying LGA-ATL tomorrow DL 1832. When I booked (and on the official schedule) this flight was operated by a B737-900 (180 seats). In mid May Delta swapped in an A319 for this route (126 seats).

Now I see that Delta is only selling Full fare F seats for this flight. No Y or Y+.

Can anyone tell me how many seats this flight is oversold by? I'm thinking it could be significant! I hope it is.. I'll take that VDB please thank you.
Current inventory is Y0, W0, and F2. It's a Friday evening flight, so I'd say the chances of it being oversold are quite high. You could give DL a call and ask an agent if that is indeed the case.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2

Hey what was the outcome of your flight did you get the bump? Was LGA packed I flew through there on thursday my flight was at y0 however they did not need me. Maybe I should have flew on friday.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors (Gold)
I got a great deal on July 5th. I was returning from JFK-SFO on a ticket booked via miles redemption with a change in SLC. At SLC, after everyone had boarded, they said the plane was overweight and they needed 10 volunteers to get off and immediately offered $800 in compensation. I took in immediately and was then rebooked on a flight around 5 hours later (in Y+ instead of Y as well).

After 5 hours of killing time in the intensely boring SLC airport we finally are getting close to boarding that flight, and it turns out that flight is oversold, so they start asking for volunteers to get off for $500 + $30 meal voucher(s) + hotel. I happily took that and ended up being rebooked on the 3 pm flight the next day, which worked out great for me since it was easier to get picked up from the airport and I had this entire week off from work anyway. $1300 for a 1 day delay + a hotel is a pretty good deal for me.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you can get hotel points, in this case it was a Sheraton, from stays where using a VDB hotel voucher?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tarlinian
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if you can get hotel points, in this case it was a Sheraton, from stays where using a VDB hotel voucher?
Usually not, because the airline is buying at an unpublished rate that is very low and comes without benefits. You should have given your SPG # at the Front Desk just in case, though.

If you didn't, and you have to email research at starwoodhotels.com for the credit, you won't get it. They play by the book, whereas giving them your number at check in leaves you at the mercy of the computer system (slightly better chance than the research team).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I recently stayed on delta's dime at the ATL marriott and gave them my number at checkin, got the points and the night credit.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I learned to give my hotel number at check in for VDB/IRROP stays. I got credit for the stay more often than not.

I know the policy so if I get credit, great. If not, move on.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
ATL-BZE oversold, DL would only go up to $800 for a 24-hour bump. We had been before so we took it. But they needed more. Redcoat said they were not authorized to go above $800 since it was a result of a downgrade in equipment, not a true oversell. Even after going on the plane, they were unable to secure the 1 additional person they needed.

They had to split up a party of 3 -- a family with a sick child (she had meds, oxygen, and all). Mom and girl went, dad stayed behind and was bumped involuntarily. Since this did not count as IDB under the law, he got the same $800 in Bastian Bucks that was being offered all along.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by channa
ATL-BZE oversold, DL would only go up to $800 for a 24-hour bump. We had been before so we took it. But they needed more. Redcoat said they were not authorized to go above $800 since it was a result of a downgrade in equipment, not a true oversell. Even after going on the plane, they were unable to secure the 1 additional person they needed.

They had to split up a party of 3 -- a family with a sick child (she had meds, oxygen, and all). Mom and girl went, dad stayed behind and was bumped involuntarily. Since this did not count as IDB under the law, he got the same $800 in Bastian Bucks that was being offered all along.
How could it not count as IDB? He didn't fly, presented himself on time, and was not allowed to board.

Also they definitely have flexibility in ATL if you have status...being DM immediately bumped their offer by $200 for me last year.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
How could it not count as IDB? He didn't fly, presented himself on time, and was not allowed to board.
Channa answered that - aircraft substitution. Under DOT rules that ends requirement for IDB compensation.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...tm#overbooking
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I got a great deal on July 5th. I was returning from JFK-SFO on a ticket booked via miles redemption with a change in SLC. At SLC, after everyone had boarded, they said the plane was overweight and they needed 10 volunteers to get off and immediately offered $800 in compensation. I took in immediately and was then rebooked on a flight around 5 hours later (in Y+ instead of Y as well).

After 5 hours of killing time in the intensely boring SLC airport we finally are getting close to boarding that flight, and it turns out that flight is oversold, so they start asking for volunteers to get off for $500 + $30 meal voucher(s) + hotel. I happily took that and ended up being rebooked on the 3 pm flight the next day, which worked out great for me since it was easier to get picked up from the airport and I had this entire week off from work anyway. $1300 for a 1 day delay + a hotel is a pretty good deal for me.

Not too sure about DL, but gotten stay credits when I was flying a lot with SPG, I always had them put my # in the Res.. BTW, next time as for a Sky Club pass, no reason to sit with everybody else.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC

Not according to dl.com or flightaware. This flight is scheduled with an A320, which is what operated today. It's scheduled an A320 every day. The only day it operates with something different is Saturday, which is an MD88. So the DL redcoat lied and whoever the gentleman was that got IDB absolutely deserves IDB compensation. This disgusts me DL does this!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Not according to dl.com or flightaware. This flight is scheduled with an A320, which is what operated today. It's scheduled an A320 every day. The only day it operates with something different is Saturday, which is an MD88. So the DL redcoat lied and whoever the gentleman was that got IDB absolutely deserves IDB compensation. This disgusts me DL does this!
There are two configurations of A320. It was scheduled for the 160-seat config and then flown with the 150-seat config.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
There are two configurations of A320. It was scheduled for the 160-seat config and then flown with the 150-seat config.
That might be the case but that shouldn't qualify for a substitution of aircraft and prevent DL from paying IDB. I could be wrong but an A320 is an A320, doesn't matter what configuration it has.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I think the DOT is smart enough to recognize that an A320 with 150 seats is different from an A320 with 160 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.