Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Is there any reason why a VDB voucher won't work with a DL coded AM flight?
If it's a DL voucher/credit, you should be able to use it towards anything DL will codeshare.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, USA GP, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Just took a voluntary bump this week out of MSP and was given $800. Best part of the deal was I received an email to select an $800 gift card of my choosing. Off hand I recall my choices were American Express, Macys, Target, Bloomingdales, Best Buy, Amazon, Carnival Cruise, Marriott, Delta, and one other (10 total). Great to have choices and not just go with Delta Dollars.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Datapoint:
Today's (brand new) SNA-SEA nonstop service. Asked for two volunteers, used both, 400 bucks for approx. 3.5 hour delay, rebooked onto the next non-stop (had RU, kept my F seat)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by appleguru
That's how I interpret it. Unlike RUC/GUC which require travel by expiration date, there does not appear to be any such requirement with a VDB voucher.
RUC/GUC require clearing by expiration date. Sometimes they'll even stay waitlisted past it, but don't depend on that.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by davetravels
That's fantastic! Thanx! I have one expiring in early September - - Got it while meeting jrl767!

Got one yesterday on MEX/ATL for $600. Next flight was in 95 minutes! Amazing! THAT flight was overbooked, too - - but they left with 1 seat open!

Believe me - NOT complaining!

I had a 6 hour planned layover in ATL, anyway to do something there, so, I just cut it a little short! Too bad my checked bag took 55 minutes to get to the baggage belt!!!
You should be due some miles if it took 55 mins.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
My brothers and I got $800 each for volunteering to get off a SLC-AMS flight and were routed directly to LHR (which was the final destination for two of us) and the last one was then transported home with BA as well.
Not a bad deal, since we were in LHR sooner than if we had flown through AMS. Last brother arrived a few hours later than planned though.

My last brother doesn't travel much and will not be going back to the US if he can avoid it, so we're trying to figure out how to use his voucher. He is based in CPH, so if anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to to see where Delta will fly from CPH?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Nice bump for three!
Check the T&C --
The face amount of this voucher may be applied to the purchase of any ticket for passenger travel within the Delta system worldwide on Delta/Delta Shuttle/Delta Connection, Air France, KLM, and Delta designated codeshare flights. It is valid for payment of published fares and government-imposed ticket taxes/charges only. It may not be used to pay other fees relating to passenger travel including baggage fees, or charges for the shipment of cargo. Voucher has no cash value.
I'm pretty sure you can buy an AF or KL flight from CPH on delta.com.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:28 pm

Yeah, they really wanted people off the plane! It was very hot in SLC, so they needed to lose some weight.

I've been looking at some flights and I'm sure we can figure something out, it would just have been nice with a list of options I could give to him :-) Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by georgewchubby
Yeah, they really wanted people off the plane! It was very hot in SLC, so they needed to lose some weight.

I've been looking at some flights and I'm sure we can figure something out, it would just have been nice with a list of options I could give to him :-) Thanks!
Option #1: send Voucher to appleguru
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by georgewchubby
My brothers and I got $800 each for volunteering to get off a SLC-AMS flight and were routed directly to LHR (which was the final destination for two of us) and the last one was then transported home with BA as well.
Not a bad deal, since we were in LHR sooner than if we had flown through AMS. Last brother arrived a few hours later than planned though.

My last brother doesn't travel much and will not be going back to the US if he can avoid it, so we're trying to figure out how to use his voucher. He is based in CPH, so if anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to to see where Delta will fly from CPH?
DL only flies to JFK nonstop in the summer and it's quite possible $800 could be enough for a roundtrip in Economy class. I have seen some nice fares in this market.

I don't know the ability to use the voucher on AF or KL but that would obviously increase the utility greatly. it does not appear you can buy an intra-Europe flight via Delta.com...like CPH-BCN via AMS for example.

Can it be transferred into someone else's name?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
DL only flies to JFK nonstop in the summer and it's quite possible $800 could be enough for a roundtrip in Economy class. I have seen some nice fares in this market.

I don't know the ability to use the voucher on AF or KL but that would obviously increase the utility greatly.

Can it be transferred into someone else's name?
Denied boarding compensation is not transferable. Other airlines can be booked as codeshare flights if available on Delta.com.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by Widgets
Denied boarding compensation is not transferable. Other airlines can be booked as codeshare flights if available on Delta.com.
So it sounds like one could fly something like ATL-AMS-BCN as DL has codeshare on the AMS-BCN route...

Widgets, what about flying intra-Europe on the same legs DL places code, without any Delta operated flight?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
So it sounds like one could fly something like ATL-AMS-BCN as DL has codeshare on the AMS-BCN route...

Widgets, what about flying intra-Europe on the same legs DL places code, without any Delta operated flight?
If Delta.com can book it, you can use it.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
If Delta.com can book it, you can use it.
That's the issue here. Delta.com seems to be very limited in what it will allow me to book, I have yet to find a flight inside Europe which can be booked.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
You have to use a script or call the medallion desk for those EU flights but they certainly are able to book those flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.