Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 3Cforme
Wiki Link
My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 17, 16, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
You can also see if seats are available for sale. There's a maximum they'll overbook any flight to, so if no seats are available for sale it's almost certainly overbooked.

The seat map is likely to overstate the available seats on a route with E fares.
Upon re-checking in at T-8, bids were asked for for both segments. Since my Friday evening plans were cancelled, I have the whole day to reschedule... keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Old Mar 17, 16, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Are there airports/segments in the system which tend to have an above average number of oversales?
Old Mar 17, 16, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
Are there airports/segments in the system which tend to have an above average number of oversales?
Not for very long, because RM will reduce the allowed overbooking when they observe that.
Old Mar 18, 16, 7:33 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
PDX

Picked up $500 yesterday on a PDX-MSP-STL itinerary: rerouted -SLC-STL with a total delay of 4.5 hours and got the FCU on both legs (first at ticketing and second at the gate). Felt pretty good about it until the next gate over at PDX offered $1,000 for a SEA flight. That's a three hour drive!!
Old Mar 18, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
$600 on Wed for changing the US connecting city on a business class ticket to AMS, then onward. Will lose about 500 MQMs and will not ask for orc since all it did was shorten ground time in AMS. No change in my final arrival. I expect this was a bit outside the rules, but they really needed the seat on the first leg.
Old Mar 18, 16, 4:06 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
$600 on Wed for changing the US connecting city on a business class ticket to AMS, then onward. Will lose about 500 MQMs and will not ask for orc since all it did was shorten ground time in AMS. No change in my final arrival. I expect this was a bit outside the rules, but they really needed the seat on the first leg.
There is no more ORC when you get VDB'd.
Old Mar 18, 16, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Since when? For one, make it part of your VDB compensation. Tell the agent to put a note in your record that you will be requesting ORC for taking the VDB.

I actually had the opposite happen. I took a VDB last year and asked that the mileage for the new routing I was being given be part of my compensation. After the flight, the MQMs only credited to my account based on the original mileage. Took a little while and a few emails to DL to get it straightened out but I finally did.
Old Mar 19, 16, 7:55 am

Yesterday LGA to MIA made $600, got to the gate early and it looked extremely busy so I asked the gate attendant if he needed volunteers, he said stick around. Ended up getting the bump, a lot of ppl were heading down for the ultra music festival, oh yes! Oh yes!!
Old Mar 19, 16, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
There is if you ask properly.
Old Mar 21, 16, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Of course my dad, who never flies DL, gets this sweet deal (traveling on award ticket):

ATL-AEX, $550 + miles refunded + Sky Club pass

All to take a flight 3.5 hours later.
Interesting that a Skyclub pass can be part of the VDB deal, that's good information to know.

Also, congrats to blitzcon on his first ever VDB!
Old Mar 22, 16, 3:46 pm

In December, I was flying SAT-DTW. They had a mechanical issue on the flight before, causing cancellation, and several servicemen were on the flight and they needed to get the flight crew to DTW. I volunteered for $900. They put me up in a hotel and meal voucher and then put me on the flight in the morning SAT-MSP-dtw.

Next morning they needed volunteers for $800. I volunteered. They stuck me on a flight 5 hours later SAT-ATL-DTW in 1st class.

Came home 24 hours later and made $1700 off of Delta. I was pretty stoked.
Old Mar 23, 16, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Today 3/23/16:

The short story:

MEX-SLC-MSP rebooked to the next day.

$800 + hotel (very nice, right in terminal above DL check-in) + meal vouchers + upgrades (had one on first leg of original itinerary). Rerouted MEX-ATL-MSP.

The longer tale:

In the boarding line I asked a red coat if volunteers were needed. She replied that she already had a list but noted my seat number, 1C. Just as everyone had boarded four more pax arrived from connecting flights, a man with two kids and a solo woman passenger. The latter started making a big fuss because her seat was gone. The red coat was at the front of the plane, looked down at me in 1C and remembered my offer; we made a quick deal.

She was very grateful and so am I.
Old Mar 23, 16, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
Today 3/23/16:

The short story:

MEX-SLC-MSP rebooked to the next day.

$800 + hotel (very nice, right in terminal above DL check-in) + meal vouchers + upgrades (had one on first leg of original itinerary). Rerouted MEX-ATL-MSP.

The longer tale:

In the boarding line I asked a red coat if volunteers were needed. She replied that she already had a list but noted my seat number, 1C. Just as everyone had boarded four more pax arrived from connecting flights, a man with two kids and a solo woman passenger. The latter started making a big fuss because her seat was gone. The red coat was at the front of the plane, looked down at me in 1C and remembered my offer; we made a quick deal.

She was very grateful and so am I.
Did you get ORC or lose 400+ MQMs?
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
...a solo woman passenger...
Was it Leia?
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
Did you get ORC or lose 400+ MQMs?
Unfortunately, in the midst of everything else, I forgot to ask for that. I'll try an on-line request. To be honest, I was excited by the immediate offer of $800 and forgot that detail.

Originally Posted by Howste View Post
Was it Leia?

Search this Thread