Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by backdoc
This is my first trip while Gold Medallion and so I'm not sure how the upgrade process works. On my first two legs I was complimentary upgraded to the front 4 days out from travel. Today is 4 days out from my next two legs and there are 3 seats in FC still up for grabs. If I don't get upgraded to FC do the available C+ seats then become available as MEDALLION UPGRADE after the FC upgrade list is processed?
Medallion upgrades *could* clear as early as 1/3/5 days out depending on level, which usually translates into 5pm 2/4/6 days in advance. But it is based on inventory so if none is available you might not clear at the window even though there are F seats available they would prefer to try to sell. Others' experiences seem to indicate you could clear any time within the window too.

As a GM you have free access to C+ 72 hours before departure, so tomorrow you should go ahead and grab a C+ seat, it's unrelated to whether you get upgraded.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: DL-PM
How can you tell its oversold and by how many seats?

Thanks,

Steve
I usually ask if it is overbooked, but frequently ATL/DTW-PHX on Sundays are overbooked. You can also tell by how many volunteers they are looking for when they announce. There were 3 people at the podium with my after the original flight left so that's how I figured out they ended up oversold by 4.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Question 1: Does it matter when you check-in if you want to get VDB?
A little; if you check in while they're requesting volunteers you get to tentatively volunteer early. How much that actually helps is unknown.

Sometimes they aren't requesting volunteers at T-24 but are at T-3.

It appears that the time you actually volunteer to the GA is more important.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
This is my first trip while Gold Medallion and so I'm not sure how the upgrade process works. On my first two legs I was complimentary upgraded to the front 4 days out from travel. Today is 4 days out from my next two legs and there are 3 seats in FC still up for grabs. If I don't get upgraded to FC do the available C+ seats then become available as MEDALLION UPGRADE after the FC upgrade list is processed?
C+ seats are not upgrades. When they become available, anybody can grab them (some people might have to pay).

If you don't get upgraded and want a better seat, ask the GA. Depending on how busy they are, they might give you the seat someone upgraded from. If not, stay on the app while they're clearing upgrades and try to grab a seat yourself. You might or might not be fast enough.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can you tell its oversold and by how many seats?
Ask the GA politely.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
This is why I love FT!

Thank you very much.

I'll be in the air, and if GoGo is working, I'll snag the C+ as soon as it hits the 72 hour mark.

I had it feeling it was inventory driven but nothing to base that on.

Steve

Originally Posted by Zorak
Medallion upgrades *could* clear as early as 1/3/5 days out depending on level, which usually translates into 5pm 2/4/6 days in advance. But it is based on inventory so if none is available you might not clear at the window even though there are F seats available they would prefer to try to sell. Others' experiences seem to indicate you could clear any time within the window too.

As a GM you have free access to C+ 72 hours before departure, so tomorrow you should go ahead and grab a C+ seat, it's unrelated to whether you get upgraded.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
For next-day travel, it gets that high. Somebody seems to have made a decision that amounts jump a lot; when I got $700, the redcoat was a bit unbelieving that the offer had been made (he said it was supposed to jump from $600 to $800, but when all the VDBs offered to take $800 instead, he went with $700).
Years ago when Northwest I had a $2,000 voucher offer. Flight went from DTW-MQT-CMX-MSP (Saab 340). I was DTW-CMX. While in MQT they were offering $2,000 and would put you in cab to CMX, which was under 100 miles. I would have jumped on that, but timing of meetings prevented it. My thought was they had people with long haul connections in MSP.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
DL 513 MSP-SAN was over on Tuesday. $200 gift card plus a reroute via LAX was offered.

The 757 broke and a 75X was subbed in, which killed the oversale.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JSprague24
DL 513 MSP-SAN was over on Tuesday. $200 gift card plus a reroute via LAX was offered.

The 757 broke and a 75X was subbed in, which killed the oversale.
SeatGuru says 75X has 26, 26, 132 (F, C+, C-).
75N has 22, 19, 141.
75M has 22, 18, 141.
75H has 20, 29, 150.
757/75U has 24, 20, 136, for a total of 4 fewer seats than 75X.

So it couldn't have been much over.

But $200 is pretty low; that's all they were offering for what, a 2.5-hour delay?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

DEN - MSP. $500. Asked for 1k,800, and 600. Said most she would do is $500. Was able to get confirmed 1st on a one stop.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
DTW-DFW was oversold by 6 on 10/18. Bump got up to $800, which I gladly accepted. Was confirmed on a flight on 10/19, given hotel and food vouchers.

Flight on 10/19 also ended up oversold, and bump vouchers were offered as high as $700 and a later flight through ATL. Sadly, I couldn't take this one.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
DL1624 MSP-PHL was over by 7 on 21OCT. I was the 5th person on the vol list and they were offering $400 voucher to stay overnight. (Which I didn't think was worth it but kept myself on the list anyway) After waiting the GA told me to board with my EC+ seat. After about 15 minutes, the same GA came on the plane and asked if I was still interested because the 4 people in front of me were all together and didn't want to split up and they only needed one. I got $600 Visa gift card and an additional $200 Delta Ecredit and a nice room at the crowne plaza for the night. (There were 4 misconnects who threw a fit at the gate when the plane left 5 mins early) Morale of the story... You never know what will happen and for overnight VDBs you can get cash gift cards.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
DL1624 MSP-PHL was over by 7 on 21OCT. I was the 5th person on the vol list and they were offering $400 voucher to stay overnight. (Which I didn't think was worth it but kept myself on the list anyway) After waiting the GA told me to board with my EC+ seat. After about 15 minutes, the same GA came on the plane and asked if I was still interested because the 4 people in front of me were all together and didn't want to split up and they only needed one. I got $600 Visa gift card and an additional $200 Delta Ecredit and a nice room at the crowne plaza for the night. (There were 4 misconnects who threw a fit at the gate when the plane left 5 mins early) Morale of the story... You never know what will happen and for overnight VDBs you can get cash gift cards.
Yikes, that sounds like a poor handling by the GA. If these 4 travelers missed the flight simply because it left 5 minutes early, then these travelers had to be on the ground and in the airport (probably running as fast as they could). Shouldn't the GA have known that from the data in their systems and at least held the plane until the scheduled departure time?

On a side note - could these 4 passengers claim IDB?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Yikes, that sounds like a poor handling by the GA. If these 4 travelers missed the flight simply because it left 5 minutes early, then these travelers had to be on the ground and in the airport (probably running as fast as they could). Shouldn't the GA have known that from the data in their systems and at least held the plane until the scheduled departure time?

On a side note - could these 4 passengers claim IDB?
They'd only get invol compensation if the passengers presented themselves for boarding 15 minutes before departure. They'd likely get a modest voucher if they escalated the issue.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I've gotten cash gift cards (Amex) for early afternoon to late afternoon VDBs. It depends on which airport (if they've implemented the new program there) and how much/how desperate they are.

I'm surprised they split $800 as $600 Visa and $200 Delta credit; I've always been offered one or the other. Did you ask for that or was it their offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.