Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: 3Cforme
Wiki Link
My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Oct 22, 15, 4:30 pm
  #1051  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by TechMarauder View Post
DL1624 MSP-PHL was over by 7 on 21OCT. I was the 5th person on the vol list and they were offering $400 voucher to stay overnight. (Which I didn't think was worth it but kept myself on the list anyway) After waiting the GA told me to board with my EC+ seat. After about 15 minutes, the same GA came on the plane and asked if I was still interested because the 4 people in front of me were all together and didn't want to split up and they only needed one. I got $600 Visa gift card and an additional $200 Delta Ecredit and a nice room at the crowne plaza for the night. (There were 4 misconnects who threw a fit at the gate when the plane left 5 mins early) Morale of the story... You never know what will happen and for overnight VDBs you can get cash gift cards.
I've gotten cash gift cards (Amex) for early afternoon to late afternoon VDBs. It depends on which airport (if they've implemented the new program there) and how much/how desperate they are.

I'm surprised they split $800 as $600 Visa and $200 Delta credit; I've always been offered one or the other. Did you ask for that or was it their offer?
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 15, 4:33 pm
  #1052  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff View Post
Yikes, that sounds like a poor handling by the GA. If these 4 travelers missed the flight simply because it left 5 minutes early, then these travelers had to be on the ground and in the airport (probably running as fast as they could). Shouldn't the GA have known that from the data in their systems and at least held the plane until the scheduled departure time?

On a side note - could these 4 passengers claim IDB?
Not if they were there too late to catch the nominal connection time (that is, at the gate 15 minutes prior to posted departure). If the flight were not oversold, Delta might be more likely to wait for them rather than have a misconnect; but since it was going to be providing overnights for 4 people, misconnects are cheaper than VDB or IDB.

It's too bad the government doesn't publish misconnect statistics. That might encourage airlines to minimize them.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 15, 6:49 pm
  #1053  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Posts: 639
This morning DEN to ATL was oversold by 1. $500 to take a flight 3 hours later.
den1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 15, 9:06 pm
  #1054  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Posts: 1,183
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Those DEN agents are tight with VDB $
MSPDeltaDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 15, 9:48 pm
  #1055  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
With only 1 needed, $500 for 3 hours isn't bad. My last VDB was $800 for 5 hours and they needed a lot more seats.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 15, 10:10 pm
  #1056  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Posts: 24,709
$800 Sunday in MSY for MSY-LAX flight.

plus hotel voucher and meal vouchers

flight the next morning.

Four seats needed
MatthewLAX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 15, 4:45 pm
  #1057  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MCO, MSP, SEA, WAS
Programs: DL PM .4MM, UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5
Longtime lurker but wanted to post for once.

DTW-MCO at about 0730 this morning was over by 6 at gate, no OLCI bid screen. Skyclub above A68 was closed so I asked out of curiosity. The GA seemed excited that I'd asked before she needed to announce, and put me as #1 on the list (in the computer). Even FOs had upgrades clear at the window on this one.

Lots of kettles, as always, she even had problems getting a pair of volunteers to move to exit row seats (about the only seats together). Anyway, I wait in a seat by the counter. Offer goes up to $500. As she announces Zone 2, I stand by the desk.

"Oh, you can go ahead and board, I already did my bumps." Ok... so I board to 3C. A few minutes later, she comes onboard and announces for "Blahblah McBlah party of 2, we need your seats."

I'm confused at this point, but whatever.

A few seconds later, "Bob Loblaw party of 3 please bring your personal articles to the boarding door." So I ask the FA, who is as confused as I am and tells me to go ask the GA.

"We still don't need your seat sir." I mentioned that I was first on the list, and a Medallion (but politely, not DYKWIA). "We value your status sir, but we don't need your seat." I looked confused I guess, because the other GA (training?) with her said that "upgraded pax are ineligible for bumps."

Basically, I'm really confused, and $500 delta dollars poorer than I hoped. Is this normal? I haven't been with DL too long, but I've been VDBed at least once from up front when Y was over. Sorry for the long post, but it's been bugging me all day.
mcolurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 15, 7:01 pm
  #1058  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Posts: 1,183
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

This is a total guess... Maybe every medallion was upgraded and GA didn't want to upgrade a random kettle to 1st. Or they need 5 and neither of the groups of 2 or 3 would split up and go solo. I think if there was another solo you would've got it.
MSPDeltaDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 15, 7:02 pm
  #1059  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Posts: 1,183
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Maybe flight only ended up being over by 5..... I've had maybe fights over 30min prior that go out with open seats
MSPDeltaDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 15, 7:44 pm
  #1060  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,523
I have been first volunteer many times and was not part of the eventual VDB.

If they need two and there is a couple travelling together you can bet that the GA will take them over you as it mean only one PNR rerouting.
Even if they only need one they might take the easier to reroute, no need to pull bags and/or other reasons into consideration. Being #1 on the VDB list does not guarantee that you will be the first to get VDB.
tentseller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 15, 8:57 pm
  #1061  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by mcolurker View Post
Longtime lurker but wanted to post for once.

DTW-MCO at about 0730 this morning was over by 6 at gate, no OLCI bid screen. Skyclub above A68 was closed so I asked out of curiosity. The GA seemed excited that I'd asked before she needed to announce, and put me as #1 on the list (in the computer). Even FOs had upgrades clear at the window on this one.

Lots of kettles, as always, she even had problems getting a pair of volunteers to move to exit row seats (about the only seats together). Anyway, I wait in a seat by the counter. Offer goes up to $500. As she announces Zone 2, I stand by the desk.

"Oh, you can go ahead and board, I already did my bumps." Ok... so I board to 3C. A few minutes later, she comes onboard and announces for "Blahblah McBlah party of 2, we need your seats."

I'm confused at this point, but whatever.

A few seconds later, "Bob Loblaw party of 3 please bring your personal articles to the boarding door." So I ask the FA, who is as confused as I am and tells me to go ask the GA.

"We still don't need your seat sir." I mentioned that I was first on the list, and a Medallion (but politely, not DYKWIA). "We value your status sir, but we don't need your seat." I looked confused I guess, because the other GA (training?) with her said that "upgraded pax are ineligible for bumps."

Basically, I'm really confused, and $500 delta dollars poorer than I hoped. Is this normal? I haven't been with DL too long, but I've been VDBed at least once from up front when Y was over. Sorry for the long post, but it's been bugging me all day.
It sounds like they had you, a group of 2, and a group of 3. They needed 5. It's safer to take the two groups rather than ask one of them to split up.

Similar things happen with standbys. A friend of mine was #3, they had one seat, and she got on because #1 and #2 were traveling together and didn't want to split up.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 15, 6:53 am
  #1062  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MCO, MSP, SEA, WAS
Programs: DL PM .4MM, UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
It sounds like they had you, a group of 2, and a group of 3. They needed 5. It's safer to take the two groups rather than ask one of them to split up.

Similar things happen with standbys. A friend of mine was #3, they had one seat, and she got on because #1 and #2 were traveling together and didn't want to split up.
See, an explanation like this would have been perfect. I can understand if they need 5 and want to do it the easy way. Coming from UA, where a 1K got bumped even if they needed 2 and had all groups of 2, it's a change but it makes sense.

I'm more annoyed with the gate agent who didn't say anything about it, so I sat around for 90 minutes instead of running to the Skyclub. Even a simple, "The flight's mostly families, FYI." or "I probably won't need your seat, but just be back by 7:15 in case." (or whatever.)
mcolurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 15, 12:14 pm
  #1063  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by mcolurker View Post
See, an explanation like this would have been perfect. I can understand if they need 5 and want to do it the easy way. Coming from UA, where a 1K got bumped even if they needed 2 and had all groups of 2, it's a change but it makes sense.

I'm more annoyed with the gate agent who didn't say anything about it, so I sat around for 90 minutes instead of running to the Skyclub. Even a simple, "The flight's mostly families, FYI." or "I probably won't need your seat, but just be back by 7:15 in case." (or whatever.)
But they had no way of knowing that. One more or fewer no-show and they'd have needed you. (I guess they might have been able to give you a time estimate, but GAs don't generally think in terms of passengers going to the Sky Club.)
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 15, 4:18 am
  #1064  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem, National EE, Hertz 5*
Posts: 259
YYZ-MSP was oversold by 2 early in the morning on sept 29. $600 USD was offered and i took it since it just involved a different connection to my final destination. (Of course $600 is worth $780 CAD and we do pay for tickets in CAD!).

The GA didn't even wait for no-shows, I assume because all pax checked in. Got my new boarding pass and voucher and was off quite a bit before the original flight had even started boarding.
SoroSuub1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 15, 7:20 pm
  #1065  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Posts: 1,183
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Scored $800 on SLC-DFW. Had to wait 5hrs for next nonstop.
MSPDeltaDude is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread