Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Friday Night

The MSP to LAS last flight of evening was overbooked by 10. $1000 each plus overnight at hotel. No meal vouchers offered.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
The MSP to LAS last flight of evening was overbooked by 10. $1000 each plus overnight at hotel. No meal vouchers offered.
Oh, how I loved the meal voucher. Scored 6x one time when I took two bumps back to back on Delta 200 ATL to JNB (one for the day previously and one for the current day) and because the meal vouchers have a 48 hour expiry window, I threw myself a $60 sushi party at One Flew South at terminal E in ATL.

RIP Meal Vouchers
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL-PM
2/26 CVG-PHX overbooked got $600 and put up at the Doubletree for the 545am via ATL. Didn't even have to wait for departure, they sent me away with a voucher at T-1. Oddly though usually they re-book in Y, which puts me at the top (or near) of the upgrade list. This didn't happen this time. Anyone else notice this?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Which hotel did DL use at MSP?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
msp hotels

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I had a VDB in MSP back in February. They put me up at the Radisson by the airport. It wasn't bad at all.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:03 pm

They used

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Friday night it was the Airport Crowne Plaza. Nothing special but the bed was comfortable enough.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:24 pm

Yes

Originally Posted by mills1090
2/26 CVG-PHX overbooked got $600 and put up at the Doubletree for the 545am via ATL. Didn't even have to wait for departure, they sent me away with a voucher at T-1. Oddly though usually they re-book in Y, which puts me at the top (or near) of the upgrade list. This didn't happen this time. Anyone else notice this?
That happened to me Friday night. When I got to flight next day I saw I was not even on UG list, Went to gate agent and asked and she fixed it and gave me the last FC seat
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Oddly though usually they re-book in Y, which puts me at the top (or near) of the upgrade list. This didn't happen this time. Anyone else notice this?
They changed the policy on this a while back - now they rebook in the same fare class you purchased. Of course YMMV with convincing an agent otherwise.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:45 pm

Oddly though usually they re-book in Y, which puts me at the top (or near) of the upgrade list. This didn't happen this time. Anyone else notice this?
Yeah, the milk stopped flowing from that boobie somewhere around Q4 of 2013 if I remember correctly. The Delta system is smart enough to trace back to your original fare basis through multiple ticket reissues. The best way to combat this is to ask the red coat who reissues your ticket to start a fresh ticket without trying to even exchange the coupons for inventory which is currently available. Even if you're lucky enough to be rebooked into Y inventory despite purchasing something like a V or X fare, the MQMs will only post at 1x intead of 1.5x as the PAID (X) fare basis will override the (Y) FLOWN fare.

The magic of trumping everyone on the upgrade list not only has to do with being rebooked in Y as a medallion (chumps get rebooked in Y, I make them force me into F / J inventory as a courtesy for taking the bump, especially if the equipment has lay-flats) but also comes from the HKV / HKI you're given on the standby / upgrade list as a distressed passenger (IRROR or rebooking which inconveniences you) . HKVs/ HKIs clear upgrade list before people using certs, medallions, etc.

Last edited by BumpMeVoucherMeATL; Mar 13, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
Yeah, the milk stopped flowing from that boobie somewhere around Q4 of 2013 if I remember correctly. The Delta system is smart enough to trace back to your original fare basis through multiple ticket reissues. The best way to combat this is to ask the red coat who reissues your ticket to start a fresh ticket without trying to even exchange the coupons for inventory which is currently available. Even if you're lucky enough to be rebooked into Y inventory despite purchasing something like a V or X fare, the MQMs will only post at 1x intead of 1.5x as the PAID (X) fare basis will override the (Y) FLOWN fare.

The magic of trumping everyone on the upgrade list not only has to do with being rebooked in Y as a medallion (chumps get rebooked in Y, I make them force me into F / J inventory as a courtesy for taking the bump, especially if the equipment has lay-flats) but also comes from the HKV / HKI you're given on the standby / upgrade list as a distressed passenger (IRROR or rebooking which inconveniences you) . HKVs/ HKIs clear upgrade list before people using certs, medallions, etc.
I wish I'd known to ask for the fresh ticket. I stayed booked in V which meant I was #18 on the u/g list for my rebooked flight which dumped me into the last row of the CR7. I did ask to be rebooked in F but the agent wasn't going for it. Oh well.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Bid $500 for ATL-FLL on the 7th at 7:25am for the 1:10pm extra leg. Ended up getting $800 and a more convenient flight along with some lounge time.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:42 am

Delta 2446 @ 2:45pm FLL to ATL on FRI 20 MAR 2015 was over sold by 3 - not sure what comp ended up being but there were certainly no bidders so it looked like it was going to be a IDBC situation. I wanted to volunteer but the gate agent protested when I wasn't on "her list" which I assume is provided by opting into the bump via website check-in. Seemed strange to me that she wouldn't consider me since I wasn't on her list.

FLL flights overbooked due to, wait for it... whoo hoo spring break!!!
https://youtu.be/u1alISOTGfE?list=PL...qZTmnD_4dlJ84m
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:25 pm

Flight to Miami on March 13 was oversold by 8. I took $1,300 to take a 2 hour later flight and got $20 in meal vouchers.

On the way home, flight was oversold by 2. I was the second to volunteer at $600. Someone missed the flight so I ended up making the flight in a reassigned seat.

I checked my Delta account today and see the voucher for $1,300 but also the one for $600. Is this an error on Delta's part?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have seen that 1300 mark reached quite often lately on DTW-Florida flights.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
600$ for SEA-MSP on Sunday March 22nd - got home 4 hours later and routed through SLC instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.