Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Heard from a passenger in the LAX SkyClub Sunday morning he took a bump on the last flight out Saturday night LAX-DTW $800 voucher plus overnight hotel and rebooked Sunday morning- an offer he couldn't refuse
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Watchful Jr. was flying red-eye LAX-ATL last Wednesday night and it was oversold by a few seats (not sure how many) and they offered $1000 voucher. When he jumped up in line they changed it and started taking two lists - how many would volunteer for the voucher and how many would volunteer for a $500 Amex gift card. He put his name on both lists. They wound up giving the gift cards. This was the last redeye out so he also received a hotel for a short sleep and the first flight out Thursday a.m.

(Oddly, since it took a few days for this e-gift card link to show up, I perused his DL wallet online and they had posted then closed two $499 vouchers into his account.)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Rsharp76
Hey guys, does anyone normally let the desk know you are willing to be bumped if needed? I fly mostly for leisure so my schedule is always pretty fluid. Just wondering how to be selected. Thanks!
Yes, there's no harm in letting the GAs know if it looks like a full/ oversold flight. They'll generally announce an oversold situation 30+ minutes before boarding. Also, there's no reason not to be the first to volunteer. The first person and last person to volunteer will get paid the same. I learned this earlier this year. I accepted $300 as the first person to volunteer but they still needed a few more and ended up offering $600 to the last person. I ended up getting the full $600 which was a nice surprise since I said I'd take $300. I guess they do that otherwise no one would want to be the first to volunteer.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM

^ totally agree! You be surprised by the number of bumps I've got and there was never an announcement made.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
At online check-in today, I received a potential oversell proposal for the second leg of my itinerary LAS-ATL-SRQ asking me if I wanted to be on the volunteer list. But there was a twist where they asked, "If you choose to be placed on the volunteer list, how much would you be willing to receive as compensation if we need you?" I was offered options to "bid" either $200, $300, $400 or $500. I selected $400 and a confirmation screen said my bid was accepted and that my flight itinerary will not change unless it is determined I am needed. So I guess if they need someone, the person who bids $200 or $300 would be selected ahead of me. The flight in question is a 7pm flight and there is only one more that day which also looks close to full. I am wondering if they have to put me on a flight the next morning if the hotel expense will be my responsibility since this wasn't mentioned in the OLCI proposal that I agreed to at $400.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Your "bid" is just information. There's no commitment until you agree with the GA about the actual compensation and new flight. If the flight is the next day, you should certainly get them to pay for the hotel.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Your "bid" is just information. There's no commitment until you agree with the GA about the actual compensation and new flight. If the flight is the next day, you should certainly get them to pay for the hotel.
Thanks for the clarification sethb. I have never seen this when checking in online since I do not travel Delta that much. Its good to know that there is no obligation and that they are just trying to get information from people.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:47 pm

I just got a nice $500 for DFW to ATL. They put me on an AA flight about 2 hours later. Well worth it to me.

Question in the voucher. I need a mileage run to maintain Diamond and have been looking at some options. If I book a ticket with the voucher don't earn miles/MQMs. I know if I use pay with miles you only get it for flights in first.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
I just got a nice $500 for DFW to ATL. They put me on an AA flight about 2 hours later. Well worth it to me.

Question in the voucher. I need a mileage run to maintain Diamond and have been looking at some options. If I book a ticket with the voucher don't earn miles/MQMs. I know if I use pay with miles you only get it for flights in first.
Tickets purchased with vouchers, such as in your case, do qualify for both MQM's and RDM's, as well as MQD's.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

$800 Amex gift cards LAX-Maui, and then another $800 Amex gift cards LAX-HNL next day. Both came Priority mail in less than a week $250x6 and $50x2
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Tickets purchased with vouchers, such as in your case, do qualify for both MQM's and RDM's, as well as MQD's.
Awesome, thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:59 pm

Well, the ATL-SRQ flight that I mentioned ended up not needing any volunteers, but it did go out completely full on the MD-90 with more than 45 on the upgrade list as well. This airport is a zoo every time I experience it. Now that I think about it, my desire to get out of there on a connection is much greater than any potential compensation to stay longer.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was on DL1386 SJU-ATL today and they were looking for volunteers. Sadly, the agent wasn't able to find any space on the JFK non-stop today (I was connecting in ATL to EWR) so I didn't get to find out what the offer would have been.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Ideally, I would be compensated with ice cream and shoe shining vouchers in addition to my first class ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Hi. I received an $800 voucher last June for a voluntary bump from a redeye LAX-DTW flight...no hotel. Anyway, the voucher must be used for a ticket in my name. Any residual credit can be used for a companion on the same itinerary. Are they strict with that? I'd like to purchase a ticket for just my wife. I didn't remember vouchers having those restrictions in the past. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.