Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by BDLer
Is it possible to volunteer for another flight before you get to the airport? I'd do it with no compensation other than more leg room ...
no
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by BDLer
It looks like baclubflyer might already be in the air, but I was searching to post a question on almost the same flight. My return flight PVG-DTW has one open seat. I've been checking for weeks to try to get in an exit row or economy comfort, but it just keeps getting fuller.

My flight leaves at 10am. There is another flight that leaves at 9:35am going through NRT which has better seats on offer.

Is it possible to volunteer for another flight before you get to the airport? I'd do it with no compensation other than more leg room ...
Instead of just saying "no", I'll offer a bit more. Technically, no, you cannot volunteer yourself for another flight. I have had Delta proactively reach out to me to take an earlier flight with VDB compensation before, though, so it's not entirely out of the question, just something that may not be under your control.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Delta has finally worked out the glitch in the system -- funny how they can fix things when it doesn't benefit pax -- where your original fare class will prevail for RDM/MQM regardless of class of rebooking. I've been rebooked a few times over the last couple months for IROPS and haven't gotten fare class bonuses for any of them when rebooked in full Y. (Upgrades, though!)
Correct, rebooked BP indicated J but MQM bonus RDM earned at purchased fare. T, IIRC?

ORC would only be 100-200 MQM difference but since this was my next to last flight of 2012 maybe I should push my luck/karma?

Definitely interesting how Delta surveyed the situation and realized I might be in position to help adjust that particular flight load? Glad they asked and 'hope I can help again in the future?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: DL FO

Last edited by Ooompa Loompa; Oct 31, 2012 at 7:17 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
$400 today SFO-ATL, could have taken more I guess. Rerouted to my final destination, hoping for ORC.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
$400 voucher + upgrade to business on both of my segments (SEA-CDG-HAM), $18 for food, and a night at the Doubletree for a VDB today. Flying out tomorrow on the same flight

One other person took the same deal as I did, and two other people (who were already on the plane) took $700 in travel vouchers and coach tomorrow.

Neil
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Orion
I have experienced "bumpus interruptus" a few times.
That term conjures visions of lovemaking.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
My SFO-JFK seems like it will be sold out. I have an economy ticket, GM and time to fly later.

If the flight is indeed sold out, I am planning to volunteer and was wondering what will be the compensation:
- is it negotiable?
- if multiple people volunteer, does my GM give me a chance to be the one picked upfor a later flight?
- i have a straight SFO-JFK: can they re-route me to a trip with 1 connection (with my agreement)?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Get to th GA at least 1 hour ahead of time.

Most likely a $400 voucher unless they just can"t get others. How oversold is it? If you DM deltaassist, they can tell you if it is oversold, and sometims they will say "slightly" or some other indicator.

The best tie breaker is to b 1st. The next is to to provide options on flights.

THat brings up your last question. Yes. In fact, it could open up lots of options. SEA, MSP, ATL LAX, DTW come to mind. Maybe even 2 if your looking to build miles before the EOY

Also may be able to get you in 1st.

Originally Posted by sorka
My SFO-JFK seems like it will be sold out. I have an economy ticket, GM and time to fly later.

If the flight is indeed sold out, I am planning to volunteer and was wondering what will be the compensation:
- is it negotiable?
- if multiple people volunteer, does my GM give me a chance to be the one picked upfor a later flight?
- i have a straight SFO-JFK: can they re-route me to a trip with 1 connection (with my agreement)?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sorka

- is it negotiable?

This flight has a very high no-show factor. Don't be surprised if they don't need anyone.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Thank you Teamstone!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Get to th GA at least 1 hour ahead of time.

Most likely a $400 voucher unless they just can"t get others. How oversold is it? If you DM deltaassist, they can tell you if it is oversold, and sometims they will say "slightly" or some other indicator.

The best tie breaker is to b 1st. The next is to to provide options on flights.

THat brings up your last question. Yes. In fact, it could open up lots of options. SEA, MSP, ATL LAX, DTW come to mind. Maybe even 2 if your looking to build miles before the EOY

Also may be able to get you in 1st.
Another reason to be first to volunteer is that you will be the first to be rebooked. I had a VDB this year where the GA took three of us. However, there was only one seat on the next flight to my destination, so I got it. The other two had the awesome experience of enjoying ATL for another two hours after my rebooked flight took off.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Would anyone know how often LAX-MSP and MSP-AMS are oversold? I'm not in a rush to go home.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Emma65
Would anyone know how often LAX-MSP and MSP-AMS are oversold? I'm not in a rush to go home.
It is likely to vary from day to day, weather problems, mechanicals, etc. A cancellation one day will likely mean the next will be an oversell.
My recent experience is that DL is being really proactive -- coming back a few weeks ago PHX-MSP-DCA, I got a call from an agent in Phoenix a few hours before my flight -- he asked if I would be willing to fly through ATL instead because there as an equipment swap on the PHX-MSP flight -- assured me he would protect my upgrades. Actually got me home about 15 minutes early.

Returning from PRG-JFK, got an opup.
Last spring scored $600 for a 4 hour delay coming back from NRT -- routed through SFO and MSP instead of just through DTW.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Rrgh - today was the first time in a while I've been on a flight where they actually needed seats. Volunteered ATL-MEM and was offered $400, but as the next flight was already way overbooked, too, the GA was only offering the following one 4 hours later. Since I was meeting colleagues in MEM before that one would arrive, I declined.

Turns out those colleagues had their flights out of NYC cancelled for WX, got rerouted through ATL to standby on the flight I was offered to be confirmed in, didn't make the standby and got confirmed on an even later flight and given meal vouchers.

I took my original flight to MEM and am now parked in the SC waiting for them to show up. And as I'm sitting here, I get a text message saying that they just got $300 vouchers for being delayed due to WX.

I know, I got on the flight I booked, sat in the seat that I picked, and DL got me where I needed to go as promised WRT my particular ticket. I turned down the VDB and that was my choice. Still, it was slightly annoying that I turned down the VDB to get here on time when it turned out that I could have taken the later flight and still made my now-postponed meeting. But hearing that DL dished out $300 to each of my coworkers, none of whom even have status, for a WX delay turned annoying into borderline aggravating....

/vent off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.