Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:01 pm

Last week SEA-FAI flight 910 got $800 each for 5 in our party for $4000 total. Rebooked us on alaska about 6 hours later. Would not throw in any vouchers for food so we could grab lunch while we waited. Seemed kind of strange after they shelled out that to not give us each a $10 voucher, but we gladly took that anyways.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Spence1097
Last week SEA-FAI flight 910 got $800 each for 5 in our party for $4000 total. Rebooked us on alaska about 6 hours later. Would not throw in any vouchers for food so we could grab lunch while we waited. Seemed kind of strange after they shelled out that to not give us each a $10 voucher, but we gladly took that anyways.
DL is ridiculously stingy on meal vouchers.

I had an IRROP (MX) a year or two ago that resulted in a forced overnight, where they wouldn't include meals. I had them issue two hotel vouchers (one for each in our party) as a punitive measure.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
had a good week

Maybe this should be in the DYKWITIA thread but in the past 7 days have netted $3600 on two bumps (wife & me that is). ^

Oh and the first bumps were off KLM points award on DL that I got FB points when from entering my KLM number on DL awards (booked in biz awards). The next off of AMEX Plat credits that I got DL e-gifts to buy the tickets.

Again, been a very good week.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Maybe this should be in the DYKWITIA thread but in the past 7 days have netted $3600 on two bumps (wife & me that is). ^

Oh and the first bumps were off KLM points award on DL that I got FB points when from entering my KLM number on DL awards (booked in biz awards). The next off of AMEX Plat credits that I got DL e-gifts to buy the tickets.

Again, been a very good week.
Please teach me how you pick these flights
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Please teach me how you pick these flights
Read my blog
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Returning home and upgraded to F PHX through SEA to PDX...10pm SEA flight was announced at 11:30pm to be rescheduled to 6am.
20,000 SM
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Offers rose to $1000 on an MD-88 oversold by eight PWM-ATL this morning.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Damn I only got a measly $500 for DTW-CLE (I need to learn to hold out longer) That was after the GA forgot she had only offered $400 so made the voucher out for $500.

GA did earn a JWD from me because I was #1 for 1 F seat so she stopped #2 and had him wait to board so he didn't miss the upgrade.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3furballs
Damn I only got a measly $500 for DTW-CLE (I need to learn to hold out longer) That was after the GA forgot she had only offered $400 so made the voucher out for $500.

GA did earn a JWD from me because I was #1 for 1 F seat so she stopped #2 and had him wait to board so he didn't miss the upgrade.
Which flight was this for, out of curiosity? I have used this route several times in the past and the flight hasn't been oversold yet. I'm always on the hunt for commonly oversold routes!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by plinth857
Which flight was this for, out of curiosity? I have used this route several times in the past and the flight hasn't been oversold yet. I'm always on the hunt for commonly oversold routes!
It varies but I've had the most luck with 5173 on Fridays and some success with the other DL CLE-DTW flights on Friday afternoons, I wouldn't say it was a commonly oversold route, I've volunteered several times where the flight has gone out with empty seats.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Volunteered on an oversold flight awhile back, expiration is coming up and I'm booked with flights for the next little while and no vacation left. Is there a way for me to use this voucher, and book a flight for a family member or the GF? Or must the original receiver be on the ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by teriyaki
Volunteered on an oversold flight awhile back, expiration is coming up and I'm booked with flights for the next little while and no vacation left. Is there a way for me to use this voucher, and book a flight for a family member or the GF? Or must the original receiver be on the ticket.
I have no idea if this would be allowed - but could one buy a Delta gift certificate with the voucher?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by teriyaki
There are ways but not that can be put on public sites like FT

Keep in mind you have 1 year past EXP date to fly it yourself so maybe book something into next year for yourself? @:-)

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I have no idea if this would be allowed - but could one buy a Delta gift certificate with the voucher?
No. Would be nice as would make them never ever expire.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Renes Points
There are ways but not that can be put on public sites like FT
You mean, like this? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...der-400-a.html
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
No. Simpler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.