Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Today 3/23/16:

The short story:

MEX-SLC-MSP rebooked to the next day.

$800 + hotel (very nice, right in terminal above DL check-in) + meal vouchers + upgrades (had one on first leg of original itinerary). Rerouted MEX-ATL-MSP
Originally Posted by sethb
Did you get ORC or lose 400+ MQMs?
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Unfortunately, in the midst of everything else, I forgot to ask for that. I'll try an on-line request. To be honest, I was excited by the immediate offer of $800 and forgot that detail.
Originally Posted by sethb
Of course, at mileage run rates, 400 MQMs is only around $20, so you're still way ahead. Let us know if that works; I've been able to get it only when requested as part of the VDB (and annotated in my record).
Late last night I submitted my ORC request. This morning I received an email saying I needed to provide ticket number and/or flight dates and number. I politely pointed out that I had already submitted that info. Within an hour I had a positive reply, with the ORC already deposited in my account.

This was a good outcome all around: $800 voucher, overnight in a good hotel, upgrade on the flight where I'd originally been upgraded (but not the second segment; that wasn't going to happen on the original itinerary either), and ORC. Plus I enjoyed an extra evening and dinner with a friend in Mexico City.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm at JFK right now flying to AUS. They are looking for six volunteers. First offer was $500. They upped it to $600 about five minutes later. Sadly, I don't see any decent alternatives today.

Now up to $800.

Now up to $1,000.

Now up to $1,300.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Now up to $1,300.
Did you bite? I think I'd take an indecent alternative at that price!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:22 pm

Nope; we decided we didn't want to give up too much of our time in AUS, but $2,600 in bump compensation was tempting!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Nope; we decided we didn't want to give up too much of our time in AUS, but $2,600 in bump compensation was tempting!
YICKS.. doesn't JetBlue fly JFK-AUS??? 2600 is a lot of money
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You have got to be kidding me....you didn't take $2,600??? Wow, I'm never in THAT big of a hurry to get anywhere, of course I would have ran to the counter at $500.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edymsn
Picked up $500 yesterday on a PDX-MSP-STL itinerary: rerouted -SLC-STL with a total delay of 4.5 hours and got the FCU on both legs (first at ticketing and second at the gate). Felt pretty good about it until the next gate over at PDX offered $1,000 for a SEA flight. That's a three hour drive!!
$1000 for SEA?? Wow, I've been wondering how the DL PDX-SEA flights have been doing in the face of at least hourly service on AS/QX....I guess they're doing pretty good It looks like DL has thrown at least one 737 on the route already.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
YICKS.. doesn't JetBlue fly JFK-AUS??? 2600 is a lot of money
I think he said it's 1300 each. And there are two people... so, 1300x2=2600.00.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Even buying 2 $300 tickets it's still a good deal. (And you can get a refund on your ticket in addition to VDB compensation, if you don't fly it. You can even refund one way and not have them cancel the return, if you ask nicely.)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:09 pm

Yesterday: LAS-LAX GA comes onboard and offers $700 for flight today. No takers, so he raises it to $800 and hotel. Lady in back got another night in Vegas. I couldn't do it...stupid schedule😧
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
SEA-LAX, 8:04 AM flight and I ask if it is overbooked and GA said yes, next available flight gets in at 11:00 PM. I said OK even though I had gotten upgrade on original flight. GA then said that a seat opened in first on a flight that got in at 9:00 PM and put me in it. Forgot to ask what the offer was (too rushed, expected $500 range). Then GA announces they need one more volunteer for $1000. After getting $1000 voucher and BP for next flight I found a routing through SMF that got in at 4:00PM. So did the SDC and got in sooner. Nice when you know the system.
Funny part is when I got the counter, another GA said they needed to reprint docs for flight. GA told me to wait a second while he set it up and I said "Take your time." That seemed to make his day.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You have got to be kidding me....you didn't take $2,600??? Wow, I'm never in THAT big of a hurry to get anywhere, of course I would have ran to the counter at $500.
Yeah, I know it sounds crazy and I have taken many VDB's over the years and this would have been right up there as one of the more profitable (my ticket was $400 and my wife's was booked as an AMEX companion award). We went to Austin for the weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday and had quite a few things lined up and decided that we didn't want to cut any short. I never thought I'd reach the point in my flying career (and my wife is a FTer too and well-versed on 'The Game') where we'd walk away from that much compensation, but we've apparently reached that point and we're cool with it.

Please let me assure all that I did look at both Delta other airline routings using ITA and didn't see anything that would get us to AUS without giving up at least six hours of our day.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 5, 2016 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
and your point would be? all my post said was 2600 was a lot of money.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
JFK-LHR last night. Oversold by 9... Per friendly sky club guest who had access to internal DL system.
I had already Volunteered myself +1 travel companion at check in.

Talked to gate agent. She offered $1200 each for "very good" seats on the next day's evening flight. She would NOT confirm Delta One but I could read between the lines. I was traveling with an elderly companion and legroom & aisle access are required for long flights. So I politely asked for D1 but she would not confirm just again said these are very good seats. We had prime delta comfort seats on our original flight booked months. Then offer went to $1300 and we agreed.

So for 23 hours delay starting a 9 day vacation we each got $1300 gift card, Taxi voucher from/to airport and confirmed delta one seats!!

Best travel day ever!

Looking forward to delta one across the pond tonight.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2
JFK-LHR last night. Oversold by 9... Per friendly sky club guest who had access to internal DL system.
I had already Volunteered myself +1 travel companion at check in.

Talked to gate agent. She offered $1200 each for "very good" seats on the next day's evening flight. She would NOT confirm Delta One but I could read between the lines. I was traveling with an elderly companion and legroom & aisle access are required for long flights. So I politely asked for D1 but she would not confirm just again said these are very good seats. We had prime delta comfort seats on our original flight booked months. Then offer went to $1300 and we agreed.

So for 23 hours delay starting a 9 day vacation we each got $1300 gift card, Taxi voucher from/to airport and confirmed delta one seats!!

Best travel day ever!

Looking forward to delta one across the pond tonight.
This is excellent. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.