Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:21 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Originally Posted by mtparadis
You can use the voucher for a ticket for someone else (or even a Crown Room membership), however YOU have to go to the airport when the ticket is issued and sign for the voucher at the time it is used. Thus, non-transferable but assignable to a desginee.
Thanks for the quick replies.

So let me be clear: by "YOU" you mean the person the voucher was originally issued to, not me the poster and question-asker. Correct? So my friend will need to take the voucher to a tix counter to have my tix paid for by the voucher. I cannot take his voucher. Correct?

BTW, the types of vouchers are right on topic, I think, and thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
Thanks for the quick replies.

So let me be clear: by "YOU" you mean the person the voucher was originally issued to, not me the poster and question-asker. Correct? So my friend will need to take the voucher to a tix counter to have my tix paid for by the voucher. I cannot take his voucher. Correct?

BTW, the types of vouchers are right on topic, I think, and thanks.
Yes, the person whose name is on the voucher must redeem it. I have dragged friends of mine to the airport when the voucher was in their name. It never fails - when I take the person, the agent doesn't ask for their ID. When I take a voucher in their name and try to redeem it, they say it must be redeemed by the person named on the voucher!

Also, it must be all paid for at one time. The person named in the voucher can't just present it and let the passenger finish ticketing later. So if the voucher doesn't cover the cost of the ticket, whoever is presenting the voucher must pay. I don't think they would accept a cell phone call from the passenger to give credit card info.

On the other hand, if there is a residual amount from the voucher, the residual voucher will have the same name as the new ticket.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Yes, the person whose name is on the voucher must redeem it. I have dragged friends of mine to the airport when the voucher was in their name. It never fails - when I take the person, the agent doesn't ask for their ID. When I take a voucher in their name and try to redeem it, they say it must be redeemed by the person named on the voucher!

Also, it must be all paid for at one time. The person named in the voucher can't just present it and let the passenger finish ticketing later. So if the voucher doesn't cover the cost of the ticket, whoever is presenting the voucher must pay. I don't think they would accept a cell phone call from the passenger to give credit card info.

On the other hand, if there is a residual amount from the voucher, the residual voucher will have the same name as the new ticket.
Well stated MsEverywhere. The only exception I've personnally used is for voucher's in my kids names (who are usually in school when I use their vouchers). Once I was asked for a birth certificate (which I didn't have). I now show up with their birth certificate (but have never been asked to show it). We earned a four DBC vouchers on 1/2 (PHX to SLC after the Fiesta Bowl) and the vouchers had "Minor Under age 18" printed on it so this should make it easier to use.

Happydad
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:59 pm

One of my friend's who is so cheap she squeaks, took a voluntary bump from MIA-ATL-SAV and got a $400 voucher, meal voucher and hotel voucher. She doesn't even normally fly DL. Really pisses me off! I've never even been offered a voluntary bump. This just happened to her last month.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:44 pm

Involuntary DBC Compensation Help

Looking for suggestions on helping my friend. His family of 5 flew into ATL from MAN on 3/17. His connectly flight from ATL to SLC (DL 709) was oversold. When he got to the gate, he was told there were no seats and they couldn't get enough volunteers, so they couldn't board his family (he didn't have pre-assigned seats but was confirmed). He was at the gate about 40 minutes before departure.

Each member of his party received $400 Delta Dollars and was re-routed the next day to SLC (after on overnight in Phoenix .. yes Phoenix).

I know that a voluntary DBC is $400 Delta Dollars max. But what are his rights for Involuntary DBC? Is it still the $400 Delta Dollars max? Two days have passed ... is there any other compensation he can still get? My guess is that once he signed for the voucher, he released Delta from further claims.

Separately, since he lives in England they told him he could give the vouchers to someone WITHOUT going to a ticket counter and do the ticketing in-person. Ever heard of this? They indicated that since he is a British citizen and lives far away from a Delta counter he can do this. I'm skeptical that the language on the voucher is any different than a normal DBC voucher.

Thanks in advance for any help

Happydad

P.S. My flight on 3/17 from CVG to SLC went over by 5 (DL 703), but they had no trouble finding 5 passengers for the $400 offer. Looks like 3/17 is a good day to fly into SLC if you are looking for bumps!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I know someone will come along and quote the rules, but off the top of my head, I think invol bumps have the option to get CASH?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
He should write to the airline asking for the cash compensation. He can try the excuses that he only later became aware he was entitled to cash compensation and that signing the voucher forms is binding only if he was advised of all of his rights and alternatives.

He should have been given a free hotel room and some free meals from what you described.

But if he takes the cash compensation required by law, no room and meals are due under current DBC rules but may be due if the passenger is stranded at a connection point.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; Mar 20, 2005 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:12 am

Probably can't change anything after he signed for, and accepted, DL's offer of a $400 voucher. For future reference, he should have been able to demand cash (I believe $400) as DBC (the C is for "compensation" so no need to say "DBC compensation").
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:00 pm

COMPENSATION FOR INVOLUNTARY DENIED BOARDING If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of "denied boarding compensation" from the airline unless (1) you have not fully complied with the airline's ticketing, check-in, and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline's usual rules and practices or (2) you are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or (3) you are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or (4) you are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than that specified in your ticket, at no extra charge. A passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or (5) the airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your final destination within one hour of the scheduled arrival of your original flight. The air carrier may offer free tickets in place of cash payment. The passenger may, however, insist on the cash payment, or refuse all compensation and bring private legal action.

AMOUNT OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION Passengers who are eligible for denied boarding compensation must be offered a payment equal to the sum of the face values of their ticket coupons, with a USD 200.00 maximum. However, if the airline cannot arrange "alternate transportation" (see below) for the passenger, the compensation is doubled to USD 400.00 max. These maximum amounts are reduced by 50% on flights operated on aircraft with 60 seats or less. The "value" of a ticket coupon is the one-way fare for the flight shown on the coupon, including any surcharge and air transportation tax, minus any applicable discount. All flight coupons, including connecting flights, to the passenger's destination or first 4-hour stopover are used to compute the compensation. "Alternate transportation" is air transportation provided by an airline or other transportation used by the passenger which, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the passenger's next scheduled stopover (of 4 hours or longer) or destination no later than 2 hours for flights within the United States, including territories and possessions, or 4 hours for international flights after the passenger's originally scheduled arrival time.

METHOD OF PAYMENT The airline must give each passenger who qualifies for denied boarding compensation, a payment by check or draft for the amount specified above, on the day and place the involuntary denied boarding occurs. However, if the airline arranges alternate transportation for the passenger's convenience that departs before the payment can be made, the payment will be sent to the passenger within 24 hours.

PASSENGER'S OPTIONS Acceptance of the compensation may relieve Delta Air Lines from any further liability to the passenger caused by its failure to honor the confirmed reservation. However, the passenger may decline the payment and seek to recover damages in a court of law or in some other manner. Delta Domestic General Rules Tariff Page 53 of 58
Therefore, on the one hand I read it to mean that Delta does not have a choice to give a check. However, on delta dollars it does say be accepting them you give up all your rights to seek further compensation.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by happydad100
P.S. My flight on 3/17 from CVG to SLC went over by 5 (DL 703), but they had no trouble finding 5 passengers for the $400 offer. Looks like 3/17 is a good day to fly into SLC if you are looking for bumps!
Sorry, a little off topic, but DL needs to do something about DL 253, 803 & 703 from CVG-SLC. They're always oversold! Those MD-90s (253 & 803) aren't big enough. On March 11th I was on 253 and everything for the evening was overbooked. I'm flying 703 on March 25th, and every flight is oversold. Last month I was on 253 and they changed the airplane to a 757 because they were overbooked by 37 people! It was annoying because we were delayed over an hour while they tried to find 757 pilots to take us to SLC. I think they just need to permanently change Fl 253 to a 757.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
QUOTE= (snip) AMOUNT OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION Passengers who are eligible for denied boarding compensation must be offered a payment equal to the sum of the face values of their ticket coupons, with a USD 200.00 maximum. However, if the airline cannot arrange "alternate transportation" (see below) for the passenger, the compensation is doubled to USD 400.00 max.

Based on the above I would guess that, even though the passenger signed for alternate compensation, the passenger has recourse to change his mind and get the cash if the airline did not pro-actively make the offer of a payment in cash in addition to vouchers or tickets etc.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:42 am
POH

Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
compensation for bumping mother-in-law????

My mother-in-law who is visiting the US from Europe and speaks about 3 words of English was supposed to fly from BDL - CVG - DEN yesterday. She says that she arrived at the airport more than an hour early. About the time the plane was supposed to leave however, she called saying that she was instead in a motel near BDL and was rescheduled for the same route today.

On the phone she had calmed down, but at the airport she said that she had been extremely nervous as she didn't understand anything that was happening to her. Apparently she was given the option to fly from BDL - CVG yesterday and then overnight in a motel there, but since she doesn't know anyone in Cinci and didn't understand that Delta was going to pay for the motel she elected to stay in BDL.

Does anyone know whether Delta has a compensation policy for bumping people? It doesn't appear she was given any compensation for being bumped and I am wondering if she was 'picked on' specifically because she doesn't speak any English and wouldn't know to ask for it.

I called Delta last night to find out about getting her a voucher or something, but was told that my mother-in-law would need to bring it up with the agent at BDL this morning. This, of course, is not possible due to her lack of English. When she arrives in DEN this afternoon, we'll go to an agent there.

Any ideas about getting her compensation (a voucher, etc.), or is it too late?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Do you know what happened?

Was the original flight cancelled? Delayed so that she would miss her connection? Or was it oversold and she was IDB'ed?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:00 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
compensation for bumping mother-in-law???
I suggest either $500 or some flowers for the Delta persons responsible for the bump (others may think that is too little?)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:00 am
POH

Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
Originally Posted by swag
Do you know what happened?
Although I don't know for sure--and I'm sure my mother-in-law has no idea--I believe that it was becasue the plane from BDL left so late (more than an hour) that she would have missed her connection in CVG.

I'm not sure what caused the delay but know that there was a lot of bad weather yesterday in her vicinity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.