FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

orangecoatkid May 27, 2010 1:27 pm

LGA - IND: $400 and got rebooked to F the next day w/ hotel, taxi, and meals. I only took it because my wife was already staying at NYC for a conference arriving at the time I was going back home. Therefore, I didn't need the hotel comp because my wife was staying at the Hudson hotel in Manhattan. They did compensate me for limo services round trip from the airport to the hotel.

I definitely agree with golfingboy on negotiating at least $400, especially on red-eye flights from LAX for example. The whole purpose (as brutal as it seems) of the red-eye flight is to get back to the east coast and not lose time (although lose a lot of sleep and gain grumpiness after the flight) and they should compensate for that time that you will lose if you take the next flight on the next day.

rthib May 27, 2010 1:36 pm

ATL-PHl

$400 + meal.

Other nice is my class went from "U" to "Y", so I also got class MQM bonus.

Bry_guy May 29, 2010 10:28 am

$400 & Taxi fare

I've been bumped and received compensation and hotel several times. It's nice when it happens and it certainly helps Delta out. So it's a win-win situation.

One time I was visiting my mom - she had dropped me off at the airport and in negotiations I asked for taxi fare instead of hotel since I didn't want her to have to drive me both ways (she's in her 80s).

The GA was happy to that arrangement. Saved them hotel costs, got me a more comfortable night's sleep.

They also gave me a meal tickets.

Culture Guru May 29, 2010 10:34 am

400 seems to be the going rate + meal coupons

reddawngrl May 29, 2010 10:58 am

I've been offered a laughable and surprising $200 to overnight in SLC.

Darien Red Sox May 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Once I got $200 and upgraded to F to wait 1:15 for the next flight. My original flight I was suppose to be on ended up getting delayed 45min so I got to my destination only 30 min. later, $200 richer, and sick from eating too many Biskoff cookies.

lls138 May 31, 2010 2:46 pm

2 volunteers needed 2 weeks ago.
JFK-SAN.

My wife and I volunteered for next day flight. Offer $200. I said no. More announcements made.
Just before boarding towards the end I ask the GA again if they found volunteers. She says no. I say make it $400 each and we'll do it. She said she cannot. We boarded and were one of the last to board.

Not sure if they found 2 volunteers or IDB to 2 passesngers.

$200 for overnight inconvenience is a disgrace, especially for a TC flight. oh well.

davetravels Jun 15, 2010 10:11 pm

I recently flew JFK/PIT on ComAir on the last flight of the night. I knew the flight was probably overbooked. I asked if they may need volunteers and was told probably yes. I never thought to ask about compensation! I just assumed that with the new $$ amounts, it'd be at least $400. The flight was delayed a good bit, so I walked away for a while. Later, I walked back to chat with the GA. A girl happened to walk up while we were talking & asked how the deal works if you volunteer. She gave the whole shpiel and explained how the $200 voucher works. I said - $200?!?! Come on, everywhere else it's at least $400!! She said nope - that's all we pay period. If you don't want it, FINE - I'll board you (VERY BOLDLY!). I asked a RedCoat & was told $200. I asked at the service desk & was told - "Due to the size of the aircraft, $200 is all we give." I know at DTW I just missed $400 on a ComAir flight a week earlier! I even said - even for overnight and what if I don't take the hotel? Could it be more? Same answer!! I really thought they raised the minimum to $400!! What gives? Didn't they get the "MEMO"???

Anyway, I took it because I really had no reason to rush home & got $18 in food vouchers (3 - $6's), a great room at Embassy Suites & I found out that the 1st flight of the morning was Y1 - Y0 after I snagged the last seat, so I'll take a shot again! Didn't get the second bump. :(

MSPDeltaDude Jun 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 14140293)
I recently flew JFK/PIT on ComAir on the last flight of the night. I knew the flight was probably overbooked. I asked if they may need volunteers and was told probably yes. I never thought to ask about compensation! I just assumed that with the new $$ amounts, it'd be at least $400. The flight was delayed a good bit, so I walked away for a while. Later, I walked back to chat with the GA. A girl happened to walk up while we were talking & asked how the deal works if you volunteer. She gave the whole shpiel and explained how the $200 voucher works. I said - $200?!?! Come on, everywhere else it's at least $400!! She said nope - that's all we pay period. If you don't want it, FINE - I'll board you (VERY BOLDLY!). I asked a RedCoat & was told $200. I asked at the service desk & was told - "Due to the size of the aircraft, $200 is all we give." I know at DTW I just missed $400 on a ComAir flight a week earlier! I even said - even for overnight and what if I don't take the hotel? Could it be more? Same answer!! I really thought they raised the minimum to $400!! What gives? Didn't they get the "MEMO"???

Anyway, I took it because I really had no reason to rush home & got $18 in food vouchers (3 - $6's), a great room at Embassy Suites & I found out that the 1st flight of the morning was Y1 - Y0 after I snagged the last seat, so I'll take a shot again! Didn't get the second bump. :(

What was the size of the plane?

singtx Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

DEN - Wife and I each got $400, hotel, and $7 meal vouchers.

T ticket to Y ticket, instantly upgraded on both segments to first.
Plus MQM bonus!
Sweet...

davetravels Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude (Post 14145480)
What was the size of the plane?

It was a standard CRJ 50 seater, but there are 2 reports right above my post of JFK/LAX and JFK/SAN being offered $200 for overnight bumps!! Those planes are obviously bigger!! What's goin' on at JFK! Weren't they told that the rates went up, or is it me?

Like I said, I just missed a bump (they only used 1 volunteer - I was # 2 - for the same size CRJ at DTW a week earlier!!)

fly747first Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by dldkjones (Post 14024928)
I may have a bump opp. tonight and it is the last flight out and would mean an overnight and traveling out the next morning. DL used to offer higher VDB amounts for this - DL once offered $750 for a 300 mile flight (couldn't take due to business schedule). What is DL offering now in this situation?

A few months ago I gave up my seat on an ATL-ROC flight. I had to wait 5 hours for the next flight and the gate agent gave me a $600 future flight credit plus two $7 meal vouchers. She also changed my fare class from L to Y.

SgtWyatt Jul 6, 2010 3:03 am

Just a few days ago my wife and I were booked in Coach on the 9:00pm JFK-LAX flight when they asked over the PA for 7 volunteers due to an oversold situation. They offered $200 + hotel + meals + guaranteed upgrade to BE on the following day's 7:00 AM JFK-LAX flight. They never increased their offer above $200 despite requesting volunteers up until nearly the completion of boarding. We both took the offer and enjoyed a very comfortable BE flight and a total of $400 in Delta Dollars ($200 for each of us) the next day. Didn't end up using the hotel voucher since the "JFK International Hotel" didn't sound like a very nice place to stay...chose my wife's grandmother's house which is 20 minutes from JFK instead.

This was my first bump experience; hoping for more opportunities in the future!

Sez_Who Jul 6, 2010 6:35 am

I took a bump on a LAS-MCO redeye last week. Gave up my seat 1B UG, got $400 voucher with hotel/meal tickets.

Picked my own flts for next day by checking on FC availability and got upgraded immediately. The next morning I found another flt via MSP and took that one instead, more flying but also more MQM's and got in earlier.

COST: Arriving 17 hrs later. BENEFIT: $400 voucher plus with F re-ticket, got almost 4K MQM's (double my orig flt) w/lunch and dinner at 36,000 ft.

Sez_Who Jul 6, 2010 6:42 am

Forgot to mention a weird thing about the bump. The hotel was a Hampton Inn. I tried to get the MGM Grand but the GA just smiled.

The weird part: The hotel accepted my HH # and they not only gave me credit for an overnight stay (usual) but also credit for the voucher cost ($47). I guess this is the contract rate for the airlines. Prev experience has been credit for an overnight only.

dnkywhisperer Jul 6, 2010 8:26 am

On Saturday on a nonstop from PHL-SLC both the Mrs. and I got $400 vouchers each and we got on a flight leaving an hour later connecting through MSP booked in first class both segments for a total delay of just over 3 hours. We were on award tickets.

Does anyone know if we will earn miles for these flights? We were given paper tickets that showed the fare class as F, but where the FF # and status it showed "no FF credit" (like the rest of our award tickets). Nothing has posted, but I was thinking maybe it takes longer for paper tickets to process -- hopeful thinking.

Also it appeard out next flights HNL-SLC is full, anyone know the compensation given for taking a bump from Hawaii?

SpinzCity Jul 6, 2010 9:11 am

>>>>>>Just a few days ago my wife and I were booked in Coach on the 9:00pm JFK-LAX flight when they asked over the PA for 7 volunteers due to an oversold situation. They offered $200...

Was it due to a change of equipment? I was speaking to a gate agent who was concerned about the number of sigificant oversells due to equipment swaps, and the other GA then read aloud a memo just received (mid June) stating that in the case of equipment changes $200 would be the maximum compensation offered.

golfingboy Jul 6, 2010 9:30 am

Originally Posted by SpinzCity (Post 14251096)
Was it due to a change of equipment? I was speaking to a gate agent who was concerned about the number of sigificant oversells due to equipment swaps, and the other GA then read aloud a memo just received (mid June) stating that in the case of equipment changes $200 would be the maximum compensation offered.

If it is an equipment swap, they tend to switch to another 75E or to an aircraft with more capacity [domestic 757s or 763ERs]... 2 months ago, my JFK-LAX flight had 2 equipment swaps and they all were 75Es... I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems like DL is having a lot of issues with their 75Es one way or another.

Originally Posted by SgtWyatt (Post 14249780)
Just a few days ago my wife and I were booked in Coach on the 9:00pm JFK-LAX flight when they asked over the PA for 7 volunteers due to an oversold situation. They offered $200 + hotel + meals + guaranteed upgrade to BE on the following day's 7:00 AM JFK-LAX flight.

WOW! Nice, when I volunteered the last time on the same flight as yours, the GA refused to give me a seat in J, even though they were selling 9+ seats and what’s more, she demanded that I pick a flight that has "T" fare availability :rolleyes: I simply gave her a displeased look and then later she rebooked me in Y so I could pick the flight I want. Do you hold any status with DL? Glad you got a rare decent JFK GA and was able to enjoy the experience.

Herb687 Jul 6, 2010 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 14250356)
Forgot to mention a weird thing about the bump. The hotel was a Hampton Inn. I tried to get the MGM Grand but the GA just smiled.

The weird part: The hotel accepted my HH # and they not only gave me credit for an overnight stay (usual) but also credit for the voucher cost ($47). I guess this is the contract rate for the airlines. Prev experience has been credit for an overnight only.

Ah yes, must be the Hampton Inn Tropicana! I stayed there on a DL bump voucher back in March and also gave my HH# at check-in. Got stay credit as well as points based on whatever the DL negotiated rate was ($47 sounds about right). It looked like the night I was there the hotel had tons of people staying on DL VDB/IDB certs.

My voucher amount was $400 for that overnight + hotel + meal vouchers. I was able to help the agent pick and choose the flights I wanted (I was bumped off the LAS-MSP redeye) but unfortnuately her experienced colleague overbooked the correct inventory as opposed to F/Y - so no bonus MQMs for me.

Also had an overnight bump getting to LAS on that same trip. $400 + hotel + meal vouchers at SLC.

SgtWyatt Jul 6, 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14251227)
WOW! Nice, when I volunteered the last time on the same flight as yours, the GA refused to give me a seat in J, even though they were selling 9+ seats and what’s more, she demanded that I pick a flight that has "T" fare availability :rolleyes: I simply gave her a displeased look and then later she rebooked me in Y so I could pick the flight I want. Do you hold any status with DL? Glad you got a rare decent JFK GA and was able to enjoy the experience.

This year I don't hold any status with DL and the offer for the upgrade to BE was actually made over the PA as a general offer to anyone who was willing to take the bump. I guess we really lucked out. I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.

Originally Posted by SpinzCity (Post 14251096)

I heard nothing regarding an equipment swap, though the GA told me that this was the third night in a row that she had been forced to bump people on this flight due to overbooking.

golfingboy Jul 6, 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by SgtWyatt (Post 14251868)
This year I don't hold any status with DL and the offer for the upgrade to BE was actually made over the PA as a general offer to anyone who was willing to take the bump. I guess we really lucked out. I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.

Sweet

I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.

:confused: did you mean "J" class?

SgtWyatt Jul 6, 2010 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14251987)
Sweet

:confused: did you mean "J" class?

LOL sorry I meant J. My boarding pass says "F" on it but when I checked my SkyMiles account they have it correctly indicated as "J". didn't mean to confuse anyone. :)

hoth300 Jul 6, 2010 7:39 pm

I heard nothing regarding an equipment swap, though the GA told me that this was the third night in a row that she had been forced to bump people on this flight due to overbooking.

LOL, I took that bump, too! (Were you two sitting in 1C and 1D by chance? I was in 2A... "hi" again!)

That was a great flight and a great deal IMO... get into LAX at 10am after a full night's sleep instead of 12:30am... I mean unless you gotta be somewhere what's there to think about??? And the icing on the cake was to sit up front in BE when Diamonds watched with envy from behind, thinkin "what happened to my upgrade?"
:cool:

Sez_Who Jul 6, 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 14251346)
Ah yes, must be the Hampton Inn Tropicana! I stayed there on a DL bump voucher back in March and also gave my HH# at check-in. Got stay credit as well as points based on whatever the DL negotiated rate was ($47 sounds about right). It looked like the night I was there the hotel had tons of people staying on DL VDB/IDB certs.

My voucher amount was $400 for that overnight + hotel + meal vouchers. I was able to help the agent pick and choose the flights I wanted (I was bumped off the LAS-MSP redeye) but unfortnuately her experienced colleague overbooked the correct inventory as opposed to F/Y - so no bonus MQMs for me.

Also had an overnight bump getting to LAS on that same trip. $400 + hotel + meal vouchers at SLC.

Actually it was the other Hampton Inn, the one they call Airport. Decent place, only a couple yrs old with a great view of planes landing. Just as well, I was too burned out to be anywhere near the Strip.

Sorry you didn't get the bonus MQM's but it sounds like you cleaned up with 2 vouchers. I would call that a WIN in Vegas!

SgtWyatt Jul 6, 2010 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by hoth300 (Post 14254674)
LOL, I took that bump, too! (Were you two sitting in 1C and 1D by chance? I was in 2A... "hi" again!)

That was a great flight and a great deal IMO... get into LAX at 10am after a full night's sleep instead of 12:30am... I mean unless you gotta be somewhere what's there to think about??? And the icing on the cake was to sit up front in BE when Diamonds watched with envy from behind, thinkin "what happened to my upgrade?"
:cool:

haha, yeah that was us in 1C and 1D. Funny 'bumping' into each other on the forum. I agree it was a very good flight...I could get used to it. Kinda spoils you, but I'm not complaining! One of the coolest things was that for the first time in my life I was the very first person off the plane.

hotelmotel Jul 13, 2010 9:14 am

I'm on the 1x daily DL164 (JFK-DUB) tonight. Last night's flight was cancelled. OLCI has already put the word out that volunteers will be requested for bumping, so I'd like to be fully prepared for the chance of an IDB. As an infrequent flyer, it's not something with which I typically concern myself.

From this thread and this thread it seems as though I'm entitled to 200% of the one-way fare if they can't get me to Dublin within 2 hours of my original arrival time.

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared.... flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.

hotelmotel Jul 13, 2010 9:25 am

[x-posted in the pre-merger forum since I'm not sure if those get read as frequently]

I'm on the 1x daily DL164 (JFK-DUB) tonight. Last night's flight was cancelled. OLCI has already put the word out that volunteers will be requested for bumping, so I'd like to be fully prepared for the chance of an IDB. As an infrequent flyer, it's not something with which I typically concern myself.

From this thread and this thread it seems as though I'm entitled to 200% of the one-way fare if they can't get me to Dublin within 2 hours of my original arrival time.

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared....is $800 cash (DOT max) an unreasonable expectation for being IDB'd on a TATL? Flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.

djk7 Jul 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by hotelmotel (Post 14291844)

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared.... flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.

The 100% and 200% reimbursement levels are based on the one-way fare, not the entire round-trip cost, and are subject to limits. For international flights, the 200% level does not kick in unless you will be scheduled to arrive 4 hours late. See here for DOT rules. The EU rules are generally more generous, but I think they only apply TO the EU on EU based airlines, not sure about that though. On flights FROM the UE, I think they apply to all airlines.

The DOT rules don't explicitly define how award tickets are handled. I don't recall reading any threads where pax on award tix were IDB'ed, so I'm not sure it has been discussed other than peoples opinions on how it might/should/could theoretically work. There has been conjecture that airlines would IDB award passengers first to avoid having to pay any compensation, but again, I don't recall any reports of that actually happening.

hotelmotel Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly makes me a little nervous that on an award ticket I might be more likely to be IDB. Hopefully it won't get to that, especially since my wife is on the same flight, but on a separate reservation.

MSPDeltaDude Jul 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by hotelmotel (Post 14291905)
[x-posted in the pre-merger forum since I'm not sure if those get read as frequently]

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared....is $800 cash (DOT max) an unreasonable expectation for being IDB'd on a TATL? Flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.

Hmm, Interesting keep us updated. Do you want to get bumped?

hotelmotel Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude (Post 14294699)
Hmm, Interesting keep us updated. Do you want to get bumped?

No, not really; it's vacation and there are some non-refundable reservations on the other side of the pond. If they could assure we were put on the same flight the next night, perhaps I'd consider it for a lot of comp. But I'd rather just go on vacation :)

3Cforme Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

At < 2 hours to departure JFK-DUB is showing J8 D8 S8 I7 Y0... Op-ups to Business should be very real. There is also a routing through AMS that would arrive within four hours of the scheduled JFK-DUB flight.

flavorflav Jul 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Help: pending expiration of NWA electronic credit voucher (ECV)

I have a $300 electronic credit voucher (ECV) that I got after taking a bump on NW on 7/27/09. The ECV is on 012 stock and in my name. My DL SkyMiles number does not appear on the receipt. It also doesn't show up in the "my certificates and ecredits" part of the SkyMiles site.

I socked the voucher away without examining the terms and conditions. My fault. In addition, UA is my flying home so I am largely unfamiliar with the DL/NW world.

Two questions:

1. The paper ECV receipt says it is "not transferable." Is this a hard and fast rule? Mrs. Flavorflav was going to use the voucher. I can go with her to the airport to ticket it. Can we manage that?

2. The paper ECV receipt also says "valid toward travel commencing within one year of the voucher travel date." Is this also a hard and fast rule? I had assumed (I know, I know) that it must be -ticketed- within a year, not travel commencing within a year. If we have to fly within the next 10 days, we might not be able to use the voucher.

I realize there's an element of "can I get around the rules?" to this post, but am hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom here.

amolkold Jul 18, 2010 3:09 am

I think the best compensation I ever got was on an LAX-ATL flight (Aug '09).

Got a $400 DL voucher + $8 meal ticket to use in the terminal. Got upgraded to First Class on the next flight 75 minutes later (on a first class fare which was great for MQMs). Not bad compensation for a student who at most pulls in $15/hr on a part-time job :).

Kien Aug 22, 2010 12:59 pm

EUG to SLC - None to $100 eCert

Recently on a Delta flight from Eugene to LAX, I volunteered to be
bumped on a full flight. I got to the airport 3 hours early and
signed up to be on the volunteer list. They needed 4 seats and I was
traveling alone. I offered up my seat and we proceed to process the
paperwork. I did not ask what the compensation was but at the end I
was told that "we cannot offer you any compensation since you will be
arriving at your destination earlier than your scheduled time. We want
to thank you for volunteering." Granted the change in my flight does
get me there early but that is because it leaves Eugene earlier too
because I got to the airport early. I was so disappointed but felt bad
for the agent who was told by her supervisor that I don't get anything
for volunteering. I almost said forget it and have her re-process my
flights back to the original flight (it took her over 10min to
re-route my flight) but I wanted to be nice to her at the same time
since it was not her fault. Anyway, I complained and they offered me a
$100 voucher which I took.

By the way, this was a very small plane (about 30 seats or less). I
know they were desperate because they were trying to get passengers
going to Europe and far away places to the Delta hub in SLC to make
their connections. I thought maybe if I had waited or if I was a
better bargainer, I could have gotten at least a free roundtrip out of
them or maybe I was lucky since they are not obligated to compensate me in any way (since it is a small flight of less than 30 passensgers and they got me to my destination within the time contracted on my ticket.) What do you think ?

Kien Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

VDB EUG to LAX - no compensation to $100 eCert

Recently on a Delta flight from Eugene to LAX, I volunteered to be
bumped on a full flight. I got to the airport 3 hours early and
signed up to be on the volunteer list. They needed 4 seats and I was
traveling alone. I offered up my seat and we proceed to process the
paperwork. I did not ask what the compensation was but at the end I
was told that "we cannot offer you any compensation since you will be
arriving at your destination earlier than your scheduled time. We want
to thank you for volunteering." Granted the change in my flight does
get me there early but that is because it leaves Eugene earlier too
because I got to the airport early. I was so disappointed but felt bad
for the agent who was told by her supervisor that I don't get anything
for volunteering. I almost said forget it and have her re-process my
flights back to the original flight (it took her over 10min to
re-route my flight) but I wanted to be nice to her at the same time
since it was not her fault. Anyway, I complained and they offered me a
$100 voucher which I took.

By the way, this was a very small plane (about 30 seats or less). I
know they were desperate because they were trying to get passengers
going to Europe and far away places to the Delta hub in SLC to make
their connections. I thought maybe if I had waited or if I was a
better bargainer, I could have gotten at least a free roundtrip out of
them or maybe I was lucky since they are not obligated to compensate me in any way (since it is a small flight of less than 30 passensgers and they got me to my destination within the time contracted on my ticket.) Any thoughts ?

nfg05 Aug 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Well, sounds like they did do you a favor by giving you the option to get there earlier (which you didn't have to take). I would tend to agree that they didn't owe you anything if you consented to the re-routing without asking for compensation.

In the future, you may not want to authorize any changes to your ticket unless you know what you will be getting in return.

JayRich Aug 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Sorry about your experience, recently, I was going MSP - Detroit, I had done a SDC to get to MSP earlier, but since I knew the MSP - Detroit flight was oversold by 6, I decide to hang out in MSP and not Detroit and see what happened on my flight. When I got to gate I told them I was interested, "if the price was right." I hung back and they did need my seat, they actually booked me on a direct flight in F and got home an hour earlier. I did make mistake of not confirming the amount of compensation until after the flight was loaded, and he did tell me it was $400. So I feel very lucky. Sounds like, it really wasn't a VDB, they just did a SDC prior to the flight leaving, usually they'll wait till flight has boarded to insure volunteers are needed prior to processing payments.

exwannabe Aug 22, 2010 1:53 pm

The simple answer is you really should have asked for what compensation they would give you for the VDB. The VDB is kind of like an auction. Up to you to decide how much you will accept, and if you want to much you keep your seat and somebody else gets the VDB.

The 30 seat issue means the DOT IDB rules do not apply, but DL will still try and find VDBs before IDBing those (I would be certain they do compensate in that case, but maybe not to the standard rate).

DL probably would have offered you a few hundred at the gate. I would put this up as a learning experience and be happy with the $100.

MR_MAMA Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm

So not sure what the issue is, you got home earlier, why do you feel that you should have been compensated ? They lived up to their end of the deal. FYI don't ever volunteer to be bumped without asking about compensation first. They did offer you anything before you vcolunteered so they did not need to provide anything. I would be happy with the $100