Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 20, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 31, 15, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by Paplover View Post
Had a weird one last week. Going XXX-SLC-MSP-ORF, noticed SLC-MSP was oversold (no tix for sale) an hour before XXX-SLC scheduled to depart. Had a 45 min connection so not much time to deal with a vol at the gate. Plus, alternate connections left 10 and 20 min after SLC-MSP, so figured I would be stuck on a red-eye. Kiosk didn't work so asked GA to put me on the volunteer list for that flight which he did with a $400 bid. Arrived 10 min early, got to gate 40 min before departure to check status and they said I was taken care of, handed me F boarding passes (auto upgrade and bonus MQM as actual F) for the flight 10 min later and an $800 voucher. Never seen a bump processed so far before departure. I then SDC'd to the next flight since that route got in 30 min before what they booked me for.

Thanks for all I learned here.
We don't know when your SDC was processed; might have been T-45, might have been hours earlier. I've had them processed at T-60 when the flight was seriously oversold, and at T+ when it went to the last minute (we agreed on compensation and new flight, but actual processing, rebooking, getting me compensation, etc. took place after the door closed). I was told that's the new standard (which is annoying, because I've had some flights where alternative routings left about the same time, so I couldn't get booked on them).
Old Sep 1, 15, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM
Somehow got a voucher out of BNA in August on a Sunday evening. Was originally scheduled to take the 7p late flight out of BNA to ATL and connecting to the 11 p.m. to CLT. Earlier in the day, I SDC'd my way onto the 5p BNA/ATL despite being a ridiculous fare (X? T?). I got to BNA and found out that the late flight was delayed, which resulted in Delta overbooking the 5p.

Got a $500 voucher, took the 7p (delayed until 8p), got in to ATL at 10, made my original connection to CLT with plenty of time to spare and was UG'd the whole way.
Old Sep 2, 15, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA Gold/1MM, QR Platinum
On 21 Aug, flight from DTW-PWM was oversold. They wound up needing just 1 and it was $800 for the next nonstop 5 hours later.
On 25 Aug, PWM-ATL was over, needed 4 ppl @$1000 each. We took a taxi to BOS and got home 3 hours after original flight.
Old Sep 9, 15, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Checked in at T-23, flight was F1 Y-9, no offer for bump.

Printed boarding pass at kiosk, flight was F0Y-10, offered a bump. Asked for $500, when I got to the gate the GA said the current offer was $600 and they'd need me. They raised the offer to $700 when they had 5 volunteers and needed some more.

The redcoat who ended up handling some of us (I was going MSP-LGA and needed to go to LGA, others got rebooked to JFK) said there was no $700 amount, the offers went from $600 to $800. But we got $700 anyway.

Choice this time was virtual Visa card (usable online only) or Delta e-gift certificate.
Old Sep 18, 15, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Here's a story from earlier today:

I was at LGA waiting for a 7pm flight to BOS, at the gate next to where I was waiting was a 6:50pm CR9 to MKE. GA initially announced she needed 4 volunteers and started off with $500. Every time she announced it was DL$, Amex, or other gift cards.

Subsequent offers were $800, $1000, and $1300. Somewhere in there she got 3 volunteers because she again announced $1300 seeking 1 volunteer at that point and they would be rebooked for tomorrow morning.

IME I've never seen a $ offer so high, or it escalating like that.
Old Sep 18, 15, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N639DL View Post
Here's a story from earlier today:

I was at LGA waiting for a 7pm flight to BOS, at the gate next to where I was waiting was a 6:50pm CR9 to MKE. GA initially announced she needed 4 volunteers and started off with $500. Every time she announced it was DL$, Amex, or other gift cards.

Subsequent offers were $800, $1000, and $1300. Somewhere in there she got 3 volunteers because she again announced $1300 seeking 1 volunteer at that point and they would be rebooked for tomorrow morning.

IME I've never seen a $ offer so high, or it escalating like that.
For next-day travel, it gets that high. Somebody seems to have made a decision that amounts jump a lot; when I got $700, the redcoat was a bit unbelieving that the offer had been made (he said it was supposed to jump from $600 to $800, but when all the VDBs offered to take $800 instead, he went with $700).
Old Oct 9, 15, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
My flight out of ELP returned to the gate and was delayed so much I would've had zero chance of catching my connecting flight in ATL, which was the very last flight of the day to arrive at my destination. Instead, I took a voluntary bump in exchange for a $1,000 Delta voucher, free overnight accommodations, and a free dinner voucher (offered and accepted before the flight delay). I have confirmed seats and boarding passes for flights first thing in the morning and I'll be home by lunch tomorrow. I have no complaints.
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother scored last night: The early afternoon MSP-BWI flight was swapped from an M90 to an M88 and row 39 disappeared. The gate agents didn't notice this until some passengers walked all the way from the back of the plane to announce they had no seats. A redcoat came on board and announced they needed four volunteers. My brother and his wife got $600 each plus a $15 meal voucher and a Have One on Us each and were rebooked on a flight five hours later.
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:54 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Last Tue, ATL-MCO, the offer was $400 and they were looking for two volunteers. ~1:00 pm flight, guaranteed seat on a ~5:00 pm flight. I didn't need to be in MCO until the following morning, and was staying at an airport area hotel, so I was fine with the offer. Two of us waited as everyone boarded, but ultimately, our seats were not needed. $400 was the starting, and only offer. Several people were willing to volunteer at that, although another guy and I were the first two to the counter.
Old Oct 12, 15, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
Checked in at T-23, flight was F1 Y-9, no offer for bump.

Printed boarding pass at kiosk, flight was F0Y-10, offered a bump. Asked for $500, when I got to the gate the GA said the current offer was $600 and they'd need me. They raised the offer to $700 when they had 5 volunteers and needed some more.
How did/do you get the numbers for the seats available? I know on the US app (the one thing it has over the DL app; to be fair, they knew it wouldn't be around long) you can see the number of seats available in each cabin for upgrade purposes, but it only shows if there are zero seats available.
Old Oct 12, 15, 8:58 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
PBI-ATL-CDG became a taxi from PBI to MOB followed by a MOB-ATL-CDG arriving 4hrs later. $500*3pax.
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
How did/do you get the numbers for the seats available? I know on the US app (the one thing it has over the DL app; to be fair, they knew it wouldn't be around long) you can see the number of seats available in each cabin for upgrade purposes, but it only shows if there are zero seats available.
If you call and talk friendly to an agent (or likewise at a Sky Club when they aren't busy) they might tell you. GAs will often tell you as well.
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
DL1138 4:10PM ATL-CVG Oversold. Gave me $800 voucher to get on 9:51PM Flight to CVG.
Old Oct 13, 15, 2:47 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bankops View Post
PBI-ATL-CDG became a taxi from PBI to MOB followed by a MOB-ATL-CDG arriving 4hrs later. $500*3pax.
A taxi from PBI-MOB is like an 11-12 hour drive. No way you only got in 4-hours later. Did you mean MLB (Melbourne, FL) instead?
Old Oct 13, 15, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by vsgvarun View Post
DL1138 4:10PM ATL-CVG Oversold. Gave me $800 voucher to get on 9:51PM Flight to CVG.
Can anyone confirm there is/was a ATL/CVG flight at 9:51PM and that they paid $800? Postings by vsg are suspect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: