Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Delta Flier
Flight to Miami on March 13 was oversold by 8. I took $1,300 to take a 2 hour later flight and got $20 in meal vouchers.
They were being generous.

I got $800 SFO-JFK last Sunday afternoon, rebooked from the 4 PM to the 11 PM. (I was hoping for the 9 PM and the elusive double bump.) They were originally offering a DTW connection arriving at 10:30 AM, but ended up having enough seats on the 11 PM nonstop.

I didn't care about meal vouchers, I went to the Centurion Club.

Then the 11 PM was oversold, they were offering $800, then $900, then $1,000. Unfortunately, the DTW red-eye was no longer available, and I couldn't risk not arriving Monday morning (the earliest they could protect me on arrived late Monday afternoon).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
Delta 2446 @ 2:45pm FLL to ATL on FRI 20 MAR 2015 was over sold by 3 - not sure what comp ended up being but there were certainly no bidders so it looked like it was going to be a IDBC situation. I wanted to volunteer but the gate agent protested when I wasn't on "her list" which I assume is provided by opting into the bump via website check-in. Seemed strange to me that she wouldn't consider me since I wasn't on her list.
I thought they were required to ask for volunteers, not tell people "You can't volunteer."
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by TarnishedHalo
I have a couple of questions I hope y'all don't mind answering:

1. How do they determine who is bumped if no one takes the offer? Is it based on date of ticket purchase?

2. Will Delta do the same for 2 passengers if they only need one spot? I travel a lot with my 15yo son and wouldn't mind a voucher on the way home, but if I give up my seat then he'll have to do it also. Would they only compensate me or would they give him something also?

As someone who has only flown 2-4 times a year for 37 years I love coming here to keep up on the tips and newest info.
There are a few complicated factors, but the biggest one is based on class of service. Since the lowest classes of service are often sold the earliest, it's the people who bought their tickets months in advance who are most at risk of being denied boarding. People who buy their tickets a week in advance are almost always in a high class of service so wouldn't be denied boarding.

If only one volunteer is needed, they'll only compensate one volunteer. They'll rebook both of you for free if there are seats available on the next flight, but only 1 is getting paid.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
It seems to me a lot more VDB's lately - but this could be selective memory. Can anyone confirm that ECV's from VDB's are showing up as MQDs?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mnredfox
It seems to me a lot more VDB's lately - but this could be selective memory. Can anyone confirm that ECV's from VDB's are showing up as MQDs?
yes yes. VDB voucher is as good as cash for MQD.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres
Last year:
MSP-IND, $400 to take a flight leaving 2 hours later
MSP-BNA, $800 to take a flight leaving 2 hours later

This year: EWR-MSP during ridiculous weather. Looking for 2 to bump, traveling with spouse, received $500 each, rerouted through ATL in F. Sat in Sky Club and watched original flight depart gate, sit on runway for a long time and return to gate. Flight was cancelled due to weather. $1000 to get off a cancelled flight. Whoot whoot!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gckja
Last year:
MSP-IND, $400 to take a flight leaving 2 hours later
MSP-BNA, $800 to take a flight leaving 2 hours later

This year: EWR-MSP during ridiculous weather. Looking for 2 to bump, traveling with spouse, received $500 each, rerouted through ATL in F. Sat in Sky Club and watched original flight depart gate, sit on runway for a long time and return to gate. Flight was cancelled due to weather. $1000 to get off a cancelled flight. Whoot whoot!
I have taken VDB on last flights of the day that was eventually cancelled due to crew timing out.
Because of VDB, secured hotel credit and a confirmed F seat the next morning I arrived before anyone on the original VDB'd flight.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by TarnishedHalo
I have a couple of questions I hope y'all don't mind answering:

1. How do they determine who is bumped if no one takes the offer? Is it based on date of ticket purchase?

2. Will Delta do the same for 2 passengers if they only need one spot? I travel a lot with my 15yo son and wouldn't mind a voucher on the way home, but if I give up my seat then he'll have to do it also. Would they only compensate me or would they give him something also?

As someone who has only flown 2-4 times a year for 37 years I love coming here to keep up on the tips and newest info.
The answer to the first question is found in the DL Contract of Carriage. Here's the relevant text:
Originally Posted by DL CoC
C) Involuntary Denied Boarding
If an insufficient number of passengers volunteer to give up their seats in response to Delta’s offer, Delta may involuntarily deny boarding to one or more passengers on the oversold flight according to the following boarding priority rules:
1) Passengers Holding Tickets for Travel in Premium Cabin and SkyMiles members identified with a Diamond Medallion (“DM”), Platinum Medallion (“PM”), or Gold Medallion (“GM”) elite-status designation Passengers holding tickets for confirmed space in the First or Business class cabin and SkyMiles members identified with a DM, PM, or GM elite-status designation will be accommodated before other passengers holding tickets and/or boarding passes for confirmed space in the coach cabin.
2) Passengers With Boarding Passes
Subject to the terms set forth in Rule 245(c )(1) and (4), passengers holding boarding passes who check in and present themselves at the departure gate in compliance with Rule 135(c) will be accommodated before passengers traveling in the same cabin who have not been issued boarding passes or who fail to comply with applicable check-in requirements. Subject to the availability of seats on the aircraft, boarding passes may be obtained by passengers who hold tickets for confirmed reserved space in the following manner:
a) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through the Online Check-in feature on Delta.com within 24 hours of scheduled departure
b) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through a Delta airport kiosk within four hours of scheduled departure
c) from a Delta airport ticket counter and/or the check-in desk located in the departure area.
3) Passengers Without Boarding Passes
Passengers, who are not governed by Rule 245(c)(1) or (4), with confirmed reservations who have not been issued a boarding pass and present themselves at the departure gate in compliance with rule 135(c) will be accommodated according to the following priority rules:
a) Passengers who have been rebooked to the present flight as a result of an irregular operation (e.g., delay, cancellation) of a previously booked flight.
b) SkyMiles members identified with a Silver Medallion (“FO”) elite-status designation.
c) Passengers with a SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus status.
d) Passengers without any elite-status designation.
Within each of the foregoing groups, passengers are prioritized first by class of service and then by time of check-in.
4) Special Needs Passengers
Because of the special needs of passengers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, and aged or infirm passengers, and active members of the U.S. Armed Forces on travel orders, Delta reserves the right to accommodate such passengers without regard to the boarding priorities established by this provision.
Here's the short version of priority to keep seats:
1) First Class, Diamond, Platinum, Gold Medallion
2) Passengers with boarding passes
3a) IRROPs passengers without boarding passes
3b) Silver Medallion (FO) passengers without boarding passes
3c) SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus passengers without boarding passes
3d) Passengers without boarding passes with no elite status
(Within the above groups, passengers are prioritized by class of service and then by check-in time)
4) DL can supersede any of the above with special needs passengers.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:17 pm

I had an interesting occurrence this week. As I walked up to the gate I noticed a display saying the flight was oversold and they were looking for volunteers. I approached the gate, held out my boarding pass, and asked the GA if they still needed volunteers. She told me she thought they had enough and that I should go ahead and board. Just as she told me that, a Red Coat who was also working the flight looked over at my boarding pass and said “Wait a minute, he has a great seat. Let’s put him on the list. I think I can use it.” After the flight boarded, they told someone else who was already on the list that his seat wasn’t needed and to get on. I got bumped because I had a C+ window seat. I’ve never seen that before. Anyone else?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by fslarry
I had an interesting occurrence this week. As I walked up to the gate I noticed a display saying the flight was oversold and they were looking for volunteers. I approached the gate, held out my boarding pass, and asked the GA if they still needed volunteers. She told me she thought they had enough and that I should go ahead and board. Just as she told me that, a Red Coat who was also working the flight looked over at my boarding pass and said “Wait a minute, he has a great seat. Let’s put him on the list. I think I can use it.” After the flight boarded, they told someone else who was already on the list that his seat wasn’t needed and to get on. I got bumped because I had a C+ window seat. I’ve never seen that before. Anyone else?
They probably unseated a prospective Medallion volunteer who changed his mind and wanted a DC+ seat back.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Anudoric
...wanted a DC+ seat back.
They probably wanted the whole seat...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL just gave me $1,200

Thank you DL! XXX-SEA Sunday night.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
DL just gave me $1,200

Awesome, congrats
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Well I just arrived home and found out my wife has a boyfriend. They were in bed! The kids were sleeping in the next room.

Actually, both my wife and myself scored $1,200 each XXX-SEA. Thank you DL! I love flying out of XXX on Sundays! You would think DL management could figure it out. I love it. I will book again next Sunday. Win-win. ^ Score!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
Thank you DL! XXX-SEA Sunday night.
Congrats! Why the obfuscation? Are you concerned that DL yield management may read your post and change their programming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.