FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

happywanderer Oct 23, 01 10:38 am

Change in Voluntary Bump Compensation
 
ATL/BWI heavily oversold on 10/21 and gate agents were offering $400 DBC with a confirmed reservation early afternoon on 10/22 -- about a 15-hour delay from the original arrival time. I asked about the compensation schedule DL published in May and was told that $400 is tops now, even if delay exceeds 12 hours. Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750. Having no real need to get to BWI late evening I accepted the $400 offer (as did 9 others). Anybody heard that this is the new protocol?

seawolf Oct 23, 01 11:26 am


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
ATL/BWI heavily oversold on 10/21 and gate agents were offering $400 DBC with a confirmed reservation early afternoon on 10/22 -- about a 15-hour delay from the original arrival time. I asked about the compensation schedule DL published in May and was told that $400 is tops now, even if delay exceeds 12 hours. Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750. Having no real need to get to BWI late evening I accepted the $400 offer (as did 9 others). Anybody heard that this is the new protocol?</font>
Friend travelling MSY-ATL on 10/21 got $600 for VDB.

jwhite4 Oct 23, 01 11:32 am

Can someone comment on what would have been the compensation in this case for being involuntarily bumped (vs. offering)? That might help to put things in perspective.

Other than that, two comments:

1. Given some of the other cutbacks DL is doing (meal service, CRC closures), cutting back on DBC is not surprising.

2. With most airlines flight schedules 20%+ less than 6 wks ago, my guess is many people are not surprised by flights being overbooked. They might be a little more inclined to accept the reduced offerings, figuring they are lucky to at least get onto a flight eventually.

Jeff

B747-437B Oct 23, 01 1:04 pm

AFAIK, this is done on a stationwise basis now. Each station may set its own policy about the maximum bump compensation, but may not EXCEED the guidelines provided. In other words, if you can talk them down to $50 and a bicycle ride, go for it.

wcj1 Oct 23, 01 3:44 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750.</font>
Is this schedule online anywhere?

Thanks,
BillJ

Russ21Atl Oct 23, 01 6:15 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
AFAIK, this is done on a stationwise basis now. Each station may set its own policy about the maximum bump compensation, but may not EXCEED the guidelines provided.....</font>
B747-437B
Sorry to correct you, but the new temporary limit is $400 for voluntarily denied boarding compensation. This is systemwide, and applies to DL mainline flts; DLX and DL Connection Carriers will still adhere to their respective DBC programs.

For the person who said their friend trvlg MSY-ATL on 10/21 got $600, I can't speak for MSY, but an internal memo dated 10/13/01 said:
"No vouchers should be issued for greater than $400 for any reason."

At any rate...there you go.

-------------------------------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please go to http://www.delta.com/care/email/index.jsp

Thank you for letting me participate. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 10-23-2001).]

happywanderer Oct 23, 01 6:56 pm

Thanks for setting the record straight, Russ. The important thing to me is that everybody plays under the same rules.

B747-437B Oct 23, 01 7:04 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Russ21Atl:
I can't speak for MSY, but an internal memo dated 10/13/01 said:
"No vouchers should be issued for greater than $400 for any reason."
</font>
Russ - my info was from October 6 when I got bumped at MCO and was informed that it was a station specific policy at that time. The memo you refer to was obviously distributed subsequent to that.

Russ21Atl Oct 24, 01 3:37 pm

Well, guess what? The maximum is back to $750.

I feel like I'm on a see-saw. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

wcj1 Oct 24, 01 4:28 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Russ21Atl:
Well, guess what? The maximum is back to $750.</font>
Is their a set of guidelines for $ amount vs amount of time? Just curious...

BillJ

Tomphot Oct 24, 01 4:42 pm

I have a green sheet I picked up from DL.
0412-81786 Rev 4-01 (a little old)

It says if your new arrival is
Under 2 1/2 hours- $200 all are Delta dollars
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 - $300
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 - $400
4 1/2 - 12 - $500
over 12 hours - $750

NoStressHere Oct 24, 01 8:51 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tomphot:
I have a green sheet I picked up from DL.
0412-81786 Rev 4-01 (a little old)

It says if your new arrival is
Under 2 1/2 hours- $200 all are Delta dollars
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 - $300
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 - $400
4 1/2 - 12 - $500
over 12 hours - $750
</font>
I'm sorry, but why would you post something from last April, which is about 10 years ago in airline years. Especially,when a DL employee posted an October notice a few posts above?



wcj1 Oct 24, 01 10:00 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
I'm sorry, but why would you post something from last April, which is about 10 years ago in airline years. Especially,when a DL employee posted an October notice a few posts above?

</font>
He posted, because I asked nicely (Thanks, Tomphot) since Russ21Atl's posts didn't include specifics and I was interested in specifics.

I don't think Tomphot rates criticism for that. I was interested in useful information, and he provided it.

BillJ

rcs85551 Oct 25, 01 4:19 am


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
I'm sorry, but why would you post something from last April, which is about 10 years ago in airline years. Especially,when a DL employee posted an October notice a few posts above?
</font>
Just FYI, the information posted is still valid...

Tomphot Oct 25, 01 6:33 am


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
I'm sorry, but why would you post something from last April, which is about 10 years ago in airline years. Especially,when a DL employee posted an October notice a few posts above?

</font>
What's your problem??

Russ's most recent post stated that the max was back to $750. I had a sheet from DL with the same information so I posted the full compensation schedule.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:54 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.