Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jackal
If they are deposited in MyWallet, then by nature they should be combineable, as when you make a purchase, you simply tap into your MyWallet balance--it doesn't matter what source of your MyWallet balance is (whether it's 30 small deposits or one big deposits). So if you deposit two $300 bump vouchers in your MyWallet, they should be usable as a single balance of $600.
You have to choose them individually, and unless Delta IT has messed up again and allows you to choose more than one, I doubt this approach would work.

I can't even redeem mine online as they wrote it as FirstMiddle Last, instead of First Middle Last, and somewhere in there Delta updated my profile from one to the other. I'll likely have to call to get it to work.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kitkat77
You have to choose them individually, and unless Delta IT has messed up again
LOL! Oops, for whatever reason I was thinking this thread was in the Alaska Airlines forum. My bad! Ignore me.

I really should unsubscribe from this thread...no idea why I'm subscribed to it, as I don't (usually) fly DL, and this is the second time it has tripped me up...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
VDB'ed for 600 + 25 food voucher "gift card" think on 3/9 on the nonstop MSP-SJU
Second passenger received as well... It'll be nice since it was a full Y fare!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Hello from DL1401 BOS-ATL

The kiosk asked me if I wanted to bid to volunteer. I am heading to PBI, and could've gone on the 7:15a flight and still made my connection. I put $300 seeing that as a fair price.

GAs were soliciting at the gate for $300 as well. I didn't bother going up since I had already entered a bid at the kiosk. The GA called me up, mentioned that she could put me on the 7:15a flight to ATL, but there would be no comp since I would still be able to make my original connection in ATL. She said it was up to me. I chose to stuck on the flight I was on since there was no comp available.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Let's say I get 2 VDB of $300 each. If I understand correctly, there is only 2 ways to redeem those:
- If I travel alone, I can only redeem 1 VDB at a time
- If I travel with someone, I can each redeem 1 VDB for my ticket and one VDB for my friend's ticket (both VDB under my name) as long as I reserved both tickets at the same time?

If I redeem miles for an award ticket, can i apply 1 of my VDB for my friend who is traveling with me (with a paid ticket)?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by N639DL
Hello from DL1401 BOS-ATL

The kiosk asked me if I wanted to bid to volunteer. I am heading to PBI, and could've gone on the 7:15a flight and still made my connection. I put $300 seeing that as a fair price.

GAs were soliciting at the gate for $300 as well. I didn't bother going up since I had already entered a bid at the kiosk. The GA called me up, mentioned that she could put me on the 7:15a flight to ATL, but there would be no comp since I would still be able to make my original connection in ATL. She said it was up to me. I chose to stuck on the flight I was on since there was no comp available.
Make my connection shorter risking possibly missing it if something goes wrong and then not pay me for it? Thanks but no thanks. Good luck finding someone else to do it for free. I appreciate them trying to move people around in the cheapest way possible but seeing as they don't have to move you on any other flights this seems like a no brainer rather than having to completely redo someone else's itinerary. I'm wondering if they found someone else to do it for free.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You also lose the seat you've picked. I wouldn't do it for free unless it gave me a confirmed upgrade, a better aircraft type (RJ to mainline, lounger to flat bed, etc.), or maybe a nonstop.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
Originally Posted by sorka
Let's say I get 2 VDB of $300 each. If I understand correctly, there is only 2 ways to redeem those:
- If I travel alone, I can only redeem 1 VDB at a time
- If I travel with someone, I can each redeem 1 VDB for my ticket and one VDB for my friend's ticket (both VDB under my name) as long as I reserved both tickets at the same time?

If I redeem miles for an award ticket, can i apply 1 of my VDB for my friend who is traveling with me (with a paid ticket)?
Yes, you're correct. But buy your own ticket with the voucher and use points to buy your friend's ticket. This way, you would earn miles/MQMs unless you want to give that away too.

Here's the rule:

Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalk77
Yes, you're correct. But buy your own ticket with the voucher and use points to buy your friend's ticket. This way, you would earn miles/MQMs unless you want to give that away too.

Here's the rule:
Thanks. Two additional questions

1) If i buy a refundable ticket of $500 and use a VDB of $300: by cancelling the ticket, the would refund me the $200 and give back the same VDB of $300?

2) If i buy a no-change-fee ticket of $500 and use a VDB of $300: if i chance the ticket for a ticket that would now cost $300 more, would I be able to trick the system and apply a 2nd VDB?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by N639DL

First, you should have gone up earlier; kiosk bids are pretty meaningless.

Second, you could have pointed out the increased risk of missing your connection if the flight is delayed, and used that to request some compensation.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:42 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
Originally Posted by stils
Make my connection shorter risking possibly missing it if something goes wrong and then not pay me for it? Thanks but no thanks. Good luck finding someone else to do it for free. I appreciate them trying to move people around in the cheapest way possible but seeing as they don't have to move you on any other flights this seems like a no brainer rather than having to completely redo someone else's itinerary. I'm wondering if they found someone else to do it for free.
Was in a situation that the flight was oversold from DTW to MSP. I was heading to Rochester, MN via MSP. They asked for volunteers, so I gave them my itinerary. They then offered a direct flight and no comp. I passed. Twenty minutes later, when no volunteers came forward, they called me up and gave me $400. If they were going to have to comp someone, might as make it an easy reroute. I attribute this to bad decision-making a few level above the GAs; penny-wise, pound-foolish.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I'll piggyback on the voucher questions...

If I have a $600 voucher, can I use it for 2 $300 tickets, one for me and one for my companion?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sorka
Thanks. Two additional questions

1) If i buy a refundable ticket of $500 and use a VDB of $300: by cancelling the ticket, the would refund me the $200 and give back the same VDB of $300?

2) If i buy a no-change-fee ticket of $500 and use a VDB of $300: if i chance the ticket for a ticket that would now cost $300 more, would I be able to trick the system and apply a 2nd VDB?
I can't answer #1, but for 2, I recently purchased a non-refundable ticket and used my Diamond $200 cert. I had to cancel the flight due to my conference being cancelled.

The value of the ticket (which included the $200 cert) was placed in my account as a new certificate for the total amount of the ticket, minus $150 change fee. I would assume it would be the same by using VDB vouchers as both are treated as cash in your account when you purchase a ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seabilly
The value of the ticket (which included the $200 cert) was placed in my account as a new certificate for the total amount of the ticket, minus $150 change fee. I would assume it would be the same by using VDB vouchers as both are treated as cash in your account when you purchase a ticket.
What are the Terms & Conditions of that new voucher? Can you combine that new voucher with another VDB voucher? Or does it say it cannot be combined?

here is my example: I book a flight of ~$120 and make it 'flexible' ('Flex option), so it cost me near $300, that I pay with my 1st VDB voucher. Then I cancel that ticket => Delta issues a new voucher (but does it have the combination limitation? that is my question?)

If i redo the same process with my 2nd $300 VDB. Now that I have 2 flights cancelled and got 2 certificated back into my account: can I combine those to buy a unique $600 ticket?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
Received no comp because award ticket.

Two days ago My wife, daughter, and I were traveling MSP - LAX - KOA - HNL on award tickets. The first segments were DL and the final segment was HA. The segment from LAX to KOA was very oversold. Delta was offering $400. I volunteered if they could put us on the next flight to HNL. The Delta GA said they would not offer me any comp because it was a more direct flight. Against my better judgement I accepted because I would arrive in HNL two hours earlier. I asked the GA if she would guarantee that our checked luggage would follow. She said yes. So we took the offer of going direct from LAX to HNL. Well our luggage did not arrive. Our luggage arrived 24 hours later to our hotel in HNL.

So is there any recourse for the inconvenience they caused me for no luggage for a day and the hassle of me having to track it down? Also it irritates me that they would not offer me any comp because I was on award tickets but they kept offering others $400, free hotels, and transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.