FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

thepointsguy Dec 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd expect $800 minimum for a TATL VDB and confirmed business class on accomodated legs.

nystateofmind Dec 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 15530829)
Inefficient for everyone except the airline. This is the only way that they can make sure that they're not giving out VDBs unnecessarily. As others have said, missed connections, changed flight plans, etc. make it really easy for oversold flights to just become full.

Reminds me of a time I flew United between JAC and DEN (oh the days when Air Wisconsin flew the comfortable BAE 146). Weight restriction was in effect due to weather conditions in Denver so my group was IDB. However the ticketing agent told us to remain in the area in case the weight restriction was lifted. Well it was eventually lifted and because our group was one of the few that stayed in the airport the ticketing agent put us back on our original flight and made sure we had connections all the way through to our destination of LGA because of the delay. In addition because of how cooperative we were she gave everyone in our group $600 worth of vouchers and did not bother to take them back when we were able to get back on the BAE 146 flight. I know it is not quite apples to apples, but just saying that situations change very frequently when flying

hokiekev Dec 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Bumping Compensation Question

I have a confirmed reservation tomorrow (Tues Dec 28) connecting through JFK. I am very flexible and would be willing to be bumped. The PM line said Friday Dec 31 would be the next available date to leave that would be available. The flights are extremely oversold from my origin to JFK. What is an appropriate compensation for a 3 day delay? I have been successful before with overnight $400 compensation plus hotel accommodations.

Thanks in advance.

fti Dec 27, 2010 8:40 pm

My guess is that $400 + hotel would be it in my experience. How do you know the flights are "extremely oversold"? Just curious.

My guess is that most airlines have somewhat overbooked due to the snowstorm, but if it is like two weekends ago from SLC to MSP with MSP's 18" snowfall, they only needed two passengers for VDB (my friend and I). My guess is that many people want to get to/from JFK, but I would be surprised if DL extremely overbooked the flights.

hokiekev Dec 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Originating airport has been effctively closed for almost 2 days and all the flights were full for the last two days. PM line confirmed it will be a madhouse at the airport tomorrow.

Exiled in Express Dec 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I thought I would get the multiple bump last year out of PHL due to a snow mess. Seatcounter had the flight zeroed 48 hours out, ended going out with open seats. The vast majority of the weather cancelled passengers are standby or got discouraged and scrubbed or modified their travel plans.

I am all for my fellow FTers picking up the Delta Dollars but don't go making vacation plans quite yet.

fti Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by hokiekev (Post 15533915)
Originating airport has been effctively closed for almost 2 days and all the flights were full for the last two days. PM line confirmed it will be a madhouse at the airport tomorrow.

Madhouse at the airport, yes. Flights were full for the last two days, yes. But I still don't see how you can deduce that the flights are "extremely oversold." If anything, DL realizes how many people are anxious to get out, the no-show rate will probably be pretty low, and therefore they would probably not overbook the flight all that much. Just my experience.

If DL would be like SY, they would add additional flights to/from NYC. Unfortunately they are too big to do that, since their planes are needed elsewhere. Fortunately I am flying SY and they have been incredibly accommodating, rebooking me each day once they know the flight I was on was canceled since JFK was closed. No phone call needed, just check my itinerary online. SY added TWO flights for tomorrow to/from JFK to move people. A much better solution than overbooking flights when they know people will show up anyway (which I really don't think DL is doing).

hokiekev Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm

You very well could be right. I'm hoping they will need two people. I asked the PM line and they said all flights out were overooked but the extremely was my interpretation.

Originally Posted by fti (Post 15533946)
Madhouse at the airport, yes. Flights were full for the last two days, yes. But I still don't see how you can deduce that the flights are "extremely oversold." If anything, DL realizes how many people are anxious to get out, the no-show rate will probably be pretty low, and therefore they would probably not overbook the flight all that much. Just my experience.

If DL would be like SY, they would add additional flights to/from NYC. Unfortunately they are too big to do that, since their planes are needed elsewhere. Fortunately I am flying SY and they have been incredibly accommodating, rebooking me each day once they know the flight I was on was canceled since JFK was closed. No phone call needed, just check my itinerary online. SY added TWO flights for tomorrow to/from JFK to move people. A much better solution than overbooking flights when they know people will show up anyway (which I really don't think DL is doing).

hokiekev Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Not making plans yet, but it is nice to be flexible enough to be able to take advantage of an opportunity and help get someone home that needs to.

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express (Post 15533941)
I thought I would get the multiple bump last year out of PHL due to a snow mess. Seatcounter had the flight zeroed 48 hours out, ended going out with open seats. The vast majority of the weather cancelled passengers are standby or got discouraged and scrubbed or modified their travel plans.

I am all for my fellow FTers picking up the Delta Dollars but don't go making vacation plans quite yet.

fti Dec 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by hokiekev (Post 15533986)
Not making plans yet, but it is nice to be flexible enough to be able to take advantage of an opportunity and help get someone home that needs to.

Correct. In situations like this I am always the first one at the gate agent's desk, waiting patiently until they arrive, get their computers turned on, etc. Just wait patiently then be the first to volunteer.

But I am with Exiled in Express that chances are the flights are not very oversold.

econprof Dec 28, 2010 2:10 am

All for naught... no volunteers needed (only for flights to JFK, not ATL). Thanks for your comments!

javabytes Dec 28, 2010 10:41 am

I was on one of the first flights out of PHL yesterday. I thought it would be overbooked as well. Zeroed out but merely full. The airport was a madhouse and dozens of passengers were hoping for a seat, but they were all on standby.

robtking Dec 28, 2010 10:48 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 15533946)
If DL would be like SY, they would add additional flights to/from NYC. Unfortunately they are too big to do that, since their planes are needed elsewhere.

Actually, I was suprised last week with tall the mess at LHR that DL did add a few flights from LHR-ATL. The flight crews arrived the night before and I saw them in our hotel pub. They had been called in and planes had to do some crazy rerouting to accomidate all the stranded PAX in Europe. I was very fortunate to find that i found a flight out on 12/24 as opposed to 12/26 (Was originally scheduled to depart LHR on 12/21).

channa Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm

LAX-SFO yesterday was over, but the Red Coat wouldn't budge over $200, saying that's the rule for DL Connection.

Next flight was the next morning, so we passed on it. I think they got some takers but had to IDB one.

Anyone know if this $200 rule for DL Connection is true? It doesn't make much sense if it is.

t2r May 23, 2011 10:51 am

Voluntary Bump Compensation Mistake?

please be gentle, I am new to FT.
I was on a non-MR roundtrip flight on DL this past wkend and I happily volunteered my seat for compensation. The agents announced several times for ppl to volunteer before the flight boarded. Once everyone on the flight boarded, I was issued a $400 DL credit voucher and then a few mins later, the agent took it back apologetically explaining that 1 passenger did NOT show up. so I was placed on the plane in first class (I am AS MVP) and agent credited 2,000 miles as a compensation while apologizing profusely. I felt robbed esp when I had the voucher in my hands and then rescinded in the next 5 mins!

What is the fair thing to do in this case? I was so bummed inside but kept my composure.

Thoughts?? Did I get jipped???
thanks in advance!